Thrunite Ti Firefly - positive musings (not a review)

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
A true flashaholic is no stranger to the joyous sound of the USPS delivery of a new light. Ah, the joy of a McGizmo or some other awesome ti beauty arriving at the mail box!

But to get excited over a $16 keychain light? :confused: Really?

Well, today 2 Thrunite Ti Fireflies showed up at my door. Ho, hum, right? Wrong! What a surprise!

Now, I'm not trying to make it something beyond what it's meant to be, but for $16, this should be on everyone's short list. A nice, low low (although I think the claim of .04 lumen is off a bit - it appears to me to have the same level as a Zebralight SC51W, which is rated at 0.2 lumen, but it's still nice and low.) Not Surefire T1A low, but low. The high is rated at 60 lumen - I haven't tested it in my sphere yet, but I can believe the rating is true. Beautiful, neutral XPE R4 tint.

The twist is butter smooth - a slight twist brings up the firefly mode - twist it just a bit further and it goes to high. Knurling is aggressive (if somewhat 'budget' looking), and the size and knurling make it very easy for me to operate with one hand (and I have large hands - this is a small AAA light).

Don't know about run times, but I'll be checking. Surely it'll be relatively short on high, but I use Eneloops and don't really need long run times on a key ring light.

Comes with 2 o rings and a split ring. No battery included. Simple packaging. It is, quite simply, a home run. I received 2, and then I ordered 4 more.

I predict that this light will be the low price sleeper of 2012!

:thumbsup:

PicasaUp.jpg

Last edited:

Harry999

Enlightened
run4jc,

If you wanted to have it as a dedicated night light and prevent the risk of accidentally twisting to high while half asleep so that you can stay half asleep a solution is to insert a plastic fragment (cut out from say a blister pack) under that metal tab on the head. Then even if you twist to high it remains low. I did not come up with this - some of the purchasers of the prototype run devised this method.

BTW a cool name you have there.

michman

Newly Enlightened
I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my Ti. The idea of a dedicated low lumen light sounds really appealing to me.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
run4jc,

If you wanted to have it as a dedicated night light and prevent the risk of accidentally twisting to high while half asleep so that you can stay half asleep a solution is to insert a plastic fragment (cut out from say a blister pack) under that metal tab on the head. Then even if you twist to high it remains low. I did not come up with this - some of the purchasers of the prototype run devised this method.

BTW a cool name you have there.

Thanks!

BTW, modded one as you (and others) have suggested. Worked like a charm. Cut a TINY piece of plastic from an Eneloop package and slipped it under the tab. Now it's low only - although I left my other one stock and it now rides on my key ring. 4 more on the way...

scout24

Flashaholic
:clap: Very cool mod for a low level only light! Nice mini review, Dan. It's nice to see more AAA options out there. Two on the way thanks to your in-stock tip! Agreed on the threads, SMOOOTH... Nicely done Thrunite.

Latest posts