Jetbeam PA10 ??

72turbo74

Newly Enlightened
Hello all. I'm looking at getting the Jetbeam PA10. I had a question about flashlight drivers. The Jetbeam website states that it has a 650 ANSI lumen rating when using a 14500 li-ion battery. The xm-l would have to be driven at about 2 amps to achieve that brightness. All the 14500 batteries are about 900ma which would be good for about 350 lumens. Am I missing something or does the driver boost the batteries output? Has anyone bought one of these lights yet? Thanks.

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
I use an AW IMR 14500 that I bought from lighthound.com; If I remember correctly, I think I read somewhere that this battery can do 2 amps. To the naked eye, I believe my PA10 (from Bug Out Gear) is just about 650 lumens. I compare it to my two different brands of 18650 SSC-P7s - which are rated at 900 lumens.

72turbo74

Newly Enlightened
Well I just ordered the PA-10 from Bug out Gear. Thanks for telling me about the site. Even Googled a promo code, saved 10 bucks and got free shipping. Total came to $58. I hope the light output shows true. I don't have a lot of high end lights but I'm working on it. I can't find any reviews on the PA10 so I'll post one when it arrives.

AutoTech

Enlightened
I use an AW IMR 14500 that I bought from lighthound.com; If I remember correctly, I think I read somewhere that this battery can do 2 amps. To the naked eye, I believe my PA10 (from Bug Out Gear) is just about 650 lumens. I compare it to my two different brands of 18650 SSC-P7s - which are rated at 900 lumens.

Does your pa10 work in lower modes with the 14500? It'd be nice to clear it up as jetbeam say no but there's a vid on youtube where someone fits an ultrafire flame 14500 and switches modes with it in.

mohanjude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope this light does produce the lumens on the 14250 battery as I have ordered a charger and a couple of 14250 batteries. I want to use it as EDC in my pocket.

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
No AutoTech, it doesn't have the lower modes whilst on a 14500. Which is fine by me. I did test it out though with an Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA, and all the modes worked. But I like a bunch of firepower; I tend to use my light for short bursts, lest it heats up too much.
Does your pa10 work in lower modes with the 14500? It'd be nice to clear it up as jetbeam say no but there's a vid on youtube where someone fits an ultrafire flame 14500 and switches modes with it in.

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
Well I just ordered the PA-10 from Bug out Gear. Thanks for telling me about the site. Even Googled a promo code, saved 10 bucks and got free shipping. Total came to $58. I hope the light output shows true. I don't have a lot of high end lights but I'm working on it. I can't find any reviews on the PA10 so I'll post one when it arrives.
Welcome to the club 72turbo74! Sounds like you ordered up yourself a nice little gift to you. I'm thinking of going back to BOG and ordering up a PC10 and a BC10; hope that promo code is still good for while. Flavio over there has been great to work/email with...

AutoTech

Enlightened
No AutoTech, it doesn't have the lower modes whilst on a 14500. Which is fine by me. I did test it out though with an Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA, and all the modes worked. But I like a bunch of firepower; I tend to use my light for short bursts, lest it heats up too much.

Thank you.

I guess the battery on the youtube vid must have been flat to be able to switch modes or something. Still seems a strange thing IMO, I guess the pc10 is the one for me.

72turbo74

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to the club 72turbo74! Sounds like you ordered up yourself a nice little gift to you. I'm thinking of going back to BOG and ordering up a PC10 and a BC10; hope that promo code is still good for while. Flavio over there has been great to work/email with...

Thanks for the welcome. Edit I wonder why you don't get mode functions with a 14500 battery. Does your PA10 do alright with a standard AA?

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
Thanks for the welcome. Edit I wonder why you don't get mode functions with a 14500 battery. Does your PA10 do alright with a standard AA?
It worked fine w/ the Energizer Ultimate Lithium when I tried it day one; but I haven't gone back and fiddled with all of its modes since then. I like a lot of firepower and don't mind the shorter run times. In fact, I was looking at the embossed/stamped small lettering on some home-use incan bulbs today, and since the light was so bright, I had to angle the PA10 a little bit away from the bulb's base, so that I could read the writing by using the PA10's spill...

MikeWilson

Newly Enlightened
Do any PA10 owners have a Zebralight SC600 to compare it to? The PA10 looks smaller and possibly more comfortable as well as having a brighter 'high' mode. I was considering an SC600 until I saw the PA10, which is making me think twice :)

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do any PA10 owners have a Zebralight SC600 to compare it to? The PA10 looks smaller and possibly more comfortable as well as having a brighter 'high' mode. I was considering an SC600 until I saw the PA10, which is making me think twice :)

the PA10 is indeed smaller, its the same size as the Quark AA light. I dont own the SC600 yet, but i'm considering buying this Jetbeam PA10 to replace my Quark AA w/14500 cell as my primary EDC. also, it's price is hard to beat! about 30 bucks or so cheaper than the SC600.

MikeWilson

Newly Enlightened
Now you're talking! (cheaper is always better, at least when explaining to the wife/SO) ;)

I have an EZAA R5 that I love, running on NiMH and was wondering if the SC600 would make a good, not replacement, but addition for those night time adventures (astronomy) in the middle of nowhere... The JetBeam looks pretty good too, and has the advantage of being AA compatible - perfect for camping trips and who doesn't have an army of AA batteries available to them? (I'm new to the world of Lithium-powered flashlights).

All the best,

Mike

j12sully

Newly Enlightened
I recently bought a PA10, and have to say I'm impressed. The pros first: I like the size (I use it as an EDC), it's relatively inexpensive, the strobe does an alternating thing that is kind of different, amazingly bright on 14500's and still pretty bright on AA, the finish is almost a dark gunmetal which I like more than standard black. Now the cons: single mode on 14500 is a bit of a downfall, once inserting the battery if the tailcap is not screwed down really tight the light sometimes flickers, the pocket clip is a little more towards the center than I prefer, and I'm not particularly fond of the flood of the XM-L. Other than the latter two personal preferences, I love this little light. I use it at work everyday and I have dropped it many of times on concrete and shows no visible/mechanical signs of wear. It's an awesome little light to add to my collection.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suspect any such video must be bogus.

Personally I'm going to get a PC10 as that'll do 550 lumens on RCR's but retain it's other modes. Plus it's smaller too. Win win really. :)