"Non Stepdown" ZebraLight SC600W owners>> Check in here!

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
A member posted a reply by ZebraLight to a EM that about 3 dozen SC600W's shipped out with the "non stepdown" bug and some "hidden features", that no one has been able to find.

*Non Stepdown meaning it never drops out of turbo after 5 minutes*
Just curious, how many are in CPF members hands?

If you own one, please check in here, I'll start a list.

SC600W with bug owners:

1. PoliceScannerMan
2. Energythoughts
3. Toobuzz
4. pjandyho (returned 2)
5. Lite_me (2)
6. ofgmjnfdu
7. Zenbaas
8. selas
9. thaugen (returned and refunded)
10. TyJo
11. rjhooper
12. candor
13. Lantos
14.Uplite
15. Shenanigans
16. BurnToShine
17. Li-Ion
18. Shane45_1911
19. Hazna
20. Ti²C

Last edited:

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
To my knowledge no one has a sc600w just sc600 's...
and I got a non step downer - Zebra refuses to exchange it for a step downer, saying it's "against company policy."
phooey.

excfenix

Newly Enlightened
To my knowledge no one has a sc600w just sc600 's...
and I got a non step downer - Zebra refuses to exchange it for a step downer, saying it's "against company policy."
phooey.

Wait, your SC600 and not SC600w does not step down?

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wait, your SC600 and not SC600w does not step down?

correct. when it blinks off on high, it stays off, unless you loosen then tighten the battery cap. and itwill blink off again after that if you let it get to the high setting again, a pain in the butt...and makes the light useless if you lend it to someone who doesn't know..
Zebra should do the right thing and exchange them for step downers.

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are talking at cross purposes.
1) Several people have SC600W's.
2) The issue they are talking about is not what Ted is talking about.
Ted is talking about the improved 3rd edition SC600 that drops down in level as the battery level drops, to medium, and low.
The first gen which he and I have not "dropping down" means it stays on high until the cell reaches 2.7 volts and it turns off.
That isn't a bug, it's how it was designed, and I prefer it, and I don't think there should be any obligation for ZL to exchange it for a newer release 3rd edition model.

Policescannerman and this thread, on the other hand, are talking about the bug in the SC600W limited first release (3 dozen units), where Turbo1 doesn't drop to High after 5 minutes. A separate matter.

Last edited:

energythoughts

Newly Enlightened
correct. when it blinks off on high, it stays off, unless you loosen then tighten the battery cap. and itwill blink off again after that if you let it get to the high setting again, a pain in the butt...and makes the light useless if you lend it to someone who doesn't know..
Zebra should do the right thing and exchange them for step downers.

it sounds like you are describing step-down regulation as related to low battery capacity.. The older versions of the SC600 didn't have the regulation so when the battery got low it just turned off.. this is the version of my SC600. The newest versions will automatically lower the output to the next lowest output mode without turning off..

The step-down we are discussing in this thread regarding our new SC600w's, is related to the first 5 minutes in turbo mode. All SC600's regardless of version or tint are supposed to drop down to a lower output at the 5 minute mark according to spec. The list here is the people who got one from the very first batch that got shipped of the SC600w that don't step-down at all after 5 minutes.. turbo keeps going well past that mark.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am one of the first few to report on the my SC600w not stepping down after 5 mins and there's two here. One with me and one with my friend. Zebralight has issued an RMA for me to send them back.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
ah so...I sit enlightened, thanks all.
I have been in communication with Zebra for months and they have been promising me a H600w for a long time,
partially to replace the sc600 which did not step down..so I am surprised that they never mentioned shipping the sc600w,
(even when I asked them directly if they were)- in fact they indicated it would still be some time (weeks) till any "w" models came out..so...
so...(although this is the wrong string) I will just mention, in the name of quality control in general at Zebra, that I just tested the H600 they did send me, by MISTAKE, ( I ordered the h600w, they said to return the h600) and although it stepped down from high, it had the same problem of blinking off immediately
y if you keep your finger on the button till the cycle reaches high..then it would'nt come on again until the cap was loosed and tightened..
why samgab says he "prefers" this arrangement, I just don't know....

Toobuzz

Newly Enlightened
I have a non step down SC600w too. My tint is VERY green (not just low output) compared to my SC51w. I have clicked, pressed and held, stood on my head and have yet to find any "hidden modes". I'm kinda bummed about the tint more than the non step down. Should I try to send it back?

Zenbaas

Newly Enlightened
I am one of the first few to report on the my SC600w not stepping down after 5 mins and there's two here. One with me and one with my friend. Zebralight has issued an RMA for me to send them back.
And I think I was the first one to report on the issue :p But add me to the list PSM.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. PoliceScannerMan
2. Energythoughts
3. Toobuzz
4. pjandyho (returned 2)
5. Lite_me (2)

Last edited:

ofgmjnfdu

Newly Enlightened
1. PoliceScannerMan
2. Energythoughts
3. Toobuzz
4. pjandyho (returned 2)
5. Lite_me (2)
6. ofgmjnfdu
I have a non step down SC600w too. My tint is VERY green (not just low output) compared to my SC51w.
Mine is green too.
oHVge.jpg

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic
The discussion of this issue is already going on in the main thread, so we'll limit this one to compiling a list of members who have units with no step-down. Let's keep the actual discussion in the main thread, or we'll end up with cross-posting and duplication.

selas

Newly Enlightened
Another SC600w here with no auto step down. I'm undecided at the moment whether I'd prefer it with or without - neither way's ideal - but I'm certainly very happy with my light as it is, and doubt I'll be getting it "fixed".

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. PoliceScannerMan
2. Energythoughts
3. Toobuzz
4. pjandyho (returned 2)
5. Lite_me (2)
6. ofgmjnfdu
7. Zenbaas
8. selas

Hey guys, we miss out Zenbaas in the list. See post #12 above. Have also added selas in. Total 10 pieces so far.

thaugen

Enlightened
1. PoliceScannerMan
2. Energythoughts
3. Toobuzz
4. pjandyho (returned 2)
5. Lite_me (2)
6. ofgmjnfdu
7. Zenbaas
8. selas
9. thaugen (returned and refunded)

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Someone got one for me for as a gift, they ordered it as soon as preorder was available, got it from Zebralight, and received it when the other no-step-down units were delivered. They don't have an 18650 to test it and are a distance away from me, but I'm thinking it's definitely a non-step-down unit. They are returning it for a refund.

Last edited: