Solar Force vs SureFire hosts?

d.weglarz13

Enlightened
Hey guys. I am getting close to getting my first light. A Solor Force L2T host with custom Nailbender drop in. My question is though, should i go through with this or should i go for a SureFire host and why? Are the only differences the price range?(if so, how much are the Surefires compared to the solar forces of same category?) Are the Surefires tougher or longer lasting? I like the Surefire Z and C hosts the ones with the Rogers technique design. And, i plan on using 2 CR 123 batts. So, should i go with the solar force? or should i (and can i find for good price) go for the Surefire host instead, and still be able to put in the custom drop in. I am really going for throw, with no spill than anything else, but that is why i was gonna get the masterpiece pro head for the solar force also, for when i need the throw. But please, let me know what you guys think and why. THanks for any help you can give me, or any other suggestions I should be looking at!!!

Dave

LightJaguar

Enlightened
As having been the owner of both brands I would say go for the Surefire Z and specially a C like the Surefire C2. I used to have a few Solarforce L2 but gave them all away. I never had any problems with them. I still have a Solarforce L2m which is like a Surefire 3P clone.
The Surefire C2 in HA stands way above and L2T in my opinion. Matter of fact I suspect that the Surefire C2 was Solarforce's "inspiration" for the L2T. Also the Surefire C2 comes with a lifetime warranty.

JKodiak

Newly Enlightened
These Surefire vs XXX threads tend to be short-lived but.... my 2cents

With Surefire you get better quality host but you pay for what you get. Surefire has great guarantee where Solarforce has no guarantee. But with price of one Surefire you can get a box of Solarforce hosts. Since you are going to use 3rd party drop-in the only part that can fail is the switch. Surefire has great guarantee but the switch is the part most likely to fail. I have used both and I can't say that one is better than other. End of the day, Solarforce stuff is copied from Surefire. The host itself will endure more than the user holding the light.

One thing to note is that Surefire hosts only take CR123 batteries where Solarforce takes also for 18650s, this causes CR123 to rattle in host (easily fixable). Surefire hosts come with press for momentary, twist for constant-on type switch. Solarforce L2T comes with light press for momentary, full click for constant-on type switch. Both can be replaced.

The Surefire quality is better. Solarforce more cost-effective. Your choice.

Last edited:

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a Solarforce L2P HA Blue, and it is downright gorgeous! The clicky is okay, but doesn't have the same spring resistance as a Surefire clicky. The ano doesn't feel top notch like with a Surefire, either. But it was $27.00 delivered, and takes 18650s with no boring.

So to echo the above:

1) If money is no object, get a Surefire, and

a) if using 18mm cells, get it bored

or,

b) find one on the MP already bored for even less

2) If you want a host which will work well enough and easily accepts 18mm cells, and you don't have the dough, get the Solarforce and sleep happily

Only other comment I have is current draw. Pay attention to the current draw on your dropin. That may influence which complete light you buy, or may incline you to purchase an aftermarket switch.

Good luck!

LEDAdd1ct

Last edited:

purelite

Enlightened
One other thing. Solarforce hosts have a bigger deeper opening on the dropin side of the body. This means probably having to use the contact spring and if you are running a hot dropin you will want to us some sort of heat transferring wrap for a tight fit . Surefires have less space and many times you dont even need the outer contact spring

The L2T is a nice host very well made and a great deal for the money . it isnt HA though it looks it

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
...and the L2P iteration is now available in colors, which I really like. The usual choices are black and grey. It's great to see a company besides Maglite offering colors, and in HA instead of Type II!

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Surefire C2 in HA and the Solarforce L2T are very similar looking, but in different leagues. Surefire quality is much better (bulletproof), but you also PAY for that. The Solarforce L2T is very nice quality, but does not come in HA finish. It looks like a black phosphorus or parkerized type of finish. The Solarforce is a lot cheaper, and still excellent quality. Surefire C2's are not being made anymore, so you would be limited to a used or left over host. Solarforce is currently being made. No doubt the L2T is a copy of an excellent, bulletproof C2 host. I have many Solarforce hosts, and a Surefire C2 in HA. I have not had any issues with either light. The Solarforce L2T has proven to be extremely dependable for my needs. In time, it may prove to be bulletproof, but time will tell that. They cost about 1/3 the price of a Surefire.

As for the drop-in, you can never go wrong with a nailbender. I have Solarforce drop-ins, and have not had any issues with them either.

It is like buying a car. You can go with a Mercedes and pay for proven quality and engineering, or buy a Chevrolet. Both will get the job done. You probably would not have any issues with either. One is marketed to upscale clients, and one is marketed toward regular people. Both are of good quality and do the job just fine from getting you to where your going. Just my 2 cents. :)

Last edited:

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own an original Surefire 6P, a newer HA C2 and 3P. I also own the Solarforce L2P HA and L2T. I love the fact that they are nearly 100% interchangeable. I'm actually using an L2-S10 tail on my 6P because with the 17670 in the tube the older Surefire cap is under more tension than it is in the C2. To answer your question....I'll just say again...I own an original 6P, one that says Laser Products on the tailcap. I have had that light since about 1995 or 1996. It is actually still in good shape though some finish has worn off. So I would say they are definitely tougher, especially than the L2T which is not HA'd for whatever reason. After just one 8 hour shift loading my L2T into and out of my V70 holster a dozen times or so...it looked almost as old as my 6P. I was really disappointed in the finish, though I suppose it's for the better as now I'm not afraid to use it and get it knocked around a bit. The L2P HA has faired quite a bit better and hardly shows any signs of use as of yet...though admittedly it doesn't get the same level of use since I bought the C2 on sale. Solarforce hosts are a great value in my mind...but Surefires are just plain great. I say get both....you won't be disappointed that way.

Oh yeah...regarding switches...the Surefire twisties are almost indestructible but sometimes are a bit less than user friendly...where as the Solarforce clickies are a bit more user friendly but easier to break. The Solarforce S7 switch is sort of a copy of the Surefire twisty though not as good. Still recommend you get both.

Last edited:

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have a "Z" and a "C" and a friend of mine has a L2P. personally i think the Z2 feels best. could be due to the fact that it has no clip?
quality on the surefire is better.
solarforce comes bored for 18650, and glass lens. some SF models dont come with glass lens. glass would be prefered for high powered modules which produce more heat.
i prefer surefire switches, and mcclickies.

if you want super throw, p60 format might not be the best choice. although there are plenty of options and upgrades, its limited cause of the size of the bezel.
there are custom aspheric lens, and certain methods of maximizing throw though.
smooth reflectors help with throw. ive seen another member frankenstein a solarforce reflector with a XP-E drop-in for a very tight hotspot.

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
These Surefire vs XXX threads tend to be short-lived but.... my 2cents

With Surefire you get better quality host but you pay for what you get. Surefire has great guarantee where Solarforce has no guarantee. But with price of one Surefire you can get a box of Solarforce hosts. Since you are going to use 3rd party drop-in the only part that can fail is the switch. Surefire has great guarantee but the switch is the part most likely to fail. I have used both and I can't say that one is better than other. End of the day, Solarforce stuff is copied from Surefire. The host itself will endure more than the user holding the light.

One thing to note is that Surefire hosts only take CR123 batteries where Solarforce takes also for 18650s, this causes CR123 to rattle in host (easily fixable). Surefire hosts come with press for momentary, twist for constant-on type switch. Solarforce L2T comes with light press for momentary, full click for constant-on type switch. Both can be replaced.

The Surefire quality is better. Solarforce more cost-effective. Your choice.

P-host's twisties have no mecha parts, virtually indestructible
While i had experience in failing clickies
Also, similar sized body but surefire accept 16340 only, goes to a stronger body with impact resistance, by a thicker wall

flashlight chronic

Enlightened
Hey guys. I am getting close to getting my first light. A Solor Force L2T host with custom Nailbender drop in. My question is though, should i go through with this or should i go for a SureFire host and why? Are the only differences the price range?(if so, how much are the Surefires compared to the solar forces of same category?) Are the Surefires tougher or longer lasting? I like the Surefire Z and C hosts the ones with the Rogers technique design. And, i plan on using 2 CR 123 batts. So, should i go with the solar force? or should i (and can i find for good price) go for the Surefire host instead, and still be able to put in the custom drop in. I am really going for throw, with no spill than anything else, but that is why i was gonna get the masterpiece pro head for the solar force also, for when i need the throw. But please, let me know what you guys think and why. THanks for any help you can give me, or any other suggestions I should be looking at!!!

Dave
I have all three lights. My Solarforce L2T w/ the Lighthound XPG R5, a 18650 powered OD C2 w/ a Malkoff M61 and a stock Z2L. In my opinion the Z2 feels more comfortable, the C2 more durable, and the L2T a little of both. The Surefires cost more but they are worth it. If you plan on getting the masterpiece head, then I would get the Solarforce. They're very good quality lights.

d.weglarz13

Enlightened
Okay, cool. I am trying to decide. Any recommendations for sites with cheap prices on Surefire? And, thanks again.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Best to browse the Marketplace for dealers, posting sales links is not allowed here. The Marketplace is a separate forum and requires a separate registration.
Norm

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
...and the L2P iteration is now available in colors, which I really like. The usual choices are black and grey. It's great to see a company besides Maglite offering colors, and in HA instead of Type II!

Just keep in mind that more color equals less thickness/durability:

.0005 < - type II
.0007 < - limit for ha light colors
.0012 < - limit for ha dark colors (other than black)
.0020 < - full thickness (black/gray only)​

d.weglarz13

Enlightened
Okay. Would the nailbender XML drop in also fit in a SureFire, besides the L2T? I just am having trouble finding a Z2 host. i dont really see them at The marketplace.

Soda

Newly Enlightened
I'm probably going to get a l2t soon, and i was wondering if there are any build quality issues. Is there any uneven boring or machining on the body? Is the light able to withstand a fall on concrete? Whats the lens made out of? Any feedback would help.

qazx

Newly Enlightened
how about the Dereelight Cl1H host.
its a step up from solarforce, anodised, takes 18650's and still quite cheap.
its what i got for my nailbender dropin over the solarforce hosts.

qazx

Newly Enlightened
how about the Dereelight Cl1H host.
its a step up from solarforce, anodised, takes 18650's and still quite cheap.
its what i got for my nailbender dropin over the solarforce hosts.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast

Latest posts