Infrared Flashlight

TorchTester

Newly Enlightened
Hello, to start with I'm new to the forums and would like to say hi all.

I'm sorry if this thread is in the wrong place, i do not want to start off my forum experience in a negative way.

I had a search around for IR stuff here but i really need my personal questions answering

I'm having a real hard time looking for and IR light for my GEN 1 night vision device.

Main use is for wildlife watching at distances upto 100M.

somethingwould like somthing pretty cheap preferably.

I have found on Ebay a cheapo aluminum light with 9 5mm 850nm LEDs but i doubt its going to be any use to me at medium range?

The "Spiderfire" IR flashlights look appealing but i do not want to buy from a Hong Kong based seller... Past experiences.

Any one had experience with any good IR lights such as the Spiderfire type ones or any others?

any recommendations would be really great, and really just any info/past experience you can throw at me!

Thank you

TorchTester

Newly Enlightened
Anyone have any suggestions please?

Im having a hard time with this search

Thanks

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have no experience with infrared flashlights besides a low quality energizer flashlight I own that has an infrared emitter. Generally, you get what you pay for when buying flashlights, generally. HDS Systems is respected around here and I EDC one of their lights. They make an infrared light you might want to check out: http://hdssystems.com/?id=Edc&mType=Clicky&mName=E1B&mOut=Ir. Here is one thread I found in the search, not sure if it is helpful or not: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?185489-IR-Flashlight. Hopefully someone else will chime in with some good information.

ateallthepies

Enlightened
Hi Torchtester,

One problem with your question is the word 'cheap' when talking about IR illuminators.

The drop-in IR LED heads will not get to 100 yards with gen 1 units. I have two of these, one labelled as 3 watt and the other labelled 5 watt. They are both exactly the same so don't be fooled.

I also have purpose made Cobra 150mW IR LED and Dipol IR laser illuminators and these both will will reach way past 100 yards but are expensive, were talking £160-250 respectively.

My best advice if you want something to shine that distance and on the cheap is to buy an incandescent flashlight and a bit of IR pass material/filter or buy a ready made IR filter from one of the 'fire' brands and make up an IR illuminator yourself. They work really well and depending on the power of the torch you get will out-shine those IR drop-in heads every time.

To get to 100 yards I would go for any of the cheap 'fire' brand xenon lights over the 7.4v volt bulb type. Under this and you will struggle to reach out there.

Steve.