How do you carry your HDS Rotary's ?

CrazyIvan2011

Enlightened
...I thought I would start a new thread, as I already had one about my desire for a HDS light...so soon after my ArmyTek Predator purchase.

Basically, I went ahead and ordered the HDS EDC R1B 200 Rotary earlier. I can not wait for it to arrive, after all the praise on the forums here from them, I am really looking forward to owning one!

I was wondering though, how people here carry / EDC them? I know the Rotary models can not have a pocket clip attached...so how do people find them best to carry :confused:

Do not know if this subject has been been posted before...could not find it directly about the Rotary models, so thought I would ask.

I have lots of spare carabiners, clips, key chains and paracord etc....so was wondering if I could get some suggestions so I am prepared when mine arrives :)

I have seen lots of pictures of people using paracord on HDS's, so any advice / suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Larbo

Enlightened
Mine fits very nice in a Quark 123/AA holster. Its my understanding a clip is in the works for the Rotary.

jake royston

Enlightened
It will be interesting to see the style of clip that will be made, and how/ where it will attach. And if it will fit existing rotaries.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

CrazyIvan2011

Enlightened
Hope it wont require any modding for a future clip!

And I thought it would fit some other holsters. I will have to keep the Quark 123/AA holster in mind.

How do people best attach paracord to the Rotary's?

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have it in the kydex holster offered by HDS. Just love how snug and tight the Rotary fits in there, and at a slight yank the light is ready for use. No flaps to unflap, and no burrowing and fumbling in my pocket for it. Since I don't wear business style, I have no problems concealing the holster under my shirt.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
It just arrived from your neck of the woods!

CIMG2025.jpg

CIMG2026.jpg

The tall cylinder shaped holster is from Kytex, however since I use the o-rings on my HDS lights it keeps it from going too far into the holster (and I haven't trimmed it to length yet): http://www.kytexgear.com/Surefire.html

The kytex holster IMO is much more comfortable since it rides lower on the belt while wearing a jacket. Without a jacket, I like the whatever dex one! ... LOL

CIMG2027.jpg

Clip (Sorry can't find the receipt) is I think it's a Fenix PD20: http://www.fenixgear.com/flashlight/Fenix_PD20_Clips.html

Another leather holster is from Thor Hammer: http://www.thorshammercustomleather.com/flashlightholsters.htm

I saw another person tie a constrictor knot to the light, then used it with a suspension clip: http://edcforums.com/content.php/168-TEC-Accessories-P-7-Suspension-Clip

Good luck!

Last edited:

DWood

Newly Enlightened
Will the Nova Tac clip fit the HDS? It goes in between the tailcap and battery tube. It also provides a nice stop in the kytex gear holster, although it holsters fine without the clip.

EDIT: OK, just found on the HDS web site the clip is not compatable with the rotary.

EDCLightonBelt.jpg

Last edited:

davyro

Enlightened
My rotary has the flat tailcap & i can put it in any pocket i want & know its not going to turn on,front pocket,back pocket of my jeans
or the shirt pocket no problem.It helps that i dont like a clip on my light's anyway.It's small enough to go unnoticed wherever you keep
it.My only rule when carrying it in any of my pockets is it's in that pocket by itself so it doesn't get scratched or damaged in any way.
Which ever way you carry it your getting a great light.

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not a big fan of clips or holsters so I pocket carry mine. It has worked out great so far.

CrazyIvan2011

Enlightened
It just arrived from your neck of the woods!

CIMG2025.jpg

CIMG2026.jpg

The tall cylinder shaped holster is from Kytex, however since I use the o-rings on my HDS lights it keeps it from going too far into the holster (and I haven't trimmed it to length yet): http://www.kytexgear.com/Surefire.html

The kytex holster IMO is much more comfortable since it rides lower on the belt while wearing a jacket. Without a jacket, I like the whatever dex one! ... LOL

CIMG2027.jpg

Clip (Sorry can't find the receipt) is I think it's a Fenix PD20: http://www.fenixgear.com/flashlight/Fenix_PD20_Clips.html

Another leather holster is from Thor Hammer: http://www.thorshammercustomleather.com/flashlightholsters.htm

I saw another person tie a constrictor knot to the light, then used it with a suspension clip: http://edcforums.com/content.php/168-TEC-Accessories-P-7-Suspension-Clip

Good luck!

Is that the 200 Rotary there? Where did you get it from, mines coming from ledfire. It looks great in the pics!
And I love the look of that Kytex holster, I think I have seen it before, but did not know what it was called, so thanks! Wonder if I can get one from over here?

I am not really into clips either my self...but I really do not want to loose my new most expensive flashlight purchase!
I might have to try that holster....or for now just paracord. Constrictor knot looks ok to try.

Thanks!

asot

Newly Enlightened
HDS Rotary (and previously HDS 170 Exec) inside a Cordura Holster from AW
Paracord as a lanyard, with a Constrictor knot and a Whistle (paracord) end!

CrazyIvan2011

Enlightened
HDS Rotary (and previously HDS 170 Exec) inside a Cordura Holster from AW
Paracord as a lanyard, with a Constrictor knot and a Whistle (paracord) end!

I like the look of the constrictor knot used there!

Does it restrict, or affect the grip/operation of the light in any noticeable way? Or would flat type cord be easier to use?

asot

Newly Enlightened
Does it restrict, or affect the grip/operation of the light in any noticeable way? Or would flat type cord be easier to use?

Not a problem in operation OR grip (but 3 strands from 7 removed from paracord, in order to fit the end whistle)
Have used it succesfully previously (see pictures)

CrazyIvan2011

Enlightened
Thanks for the pics....makes it easy to see what it will look like.

And being next to the Predator allows me to see what the HDS will compare like (Predator is next to me now)!

LGT

Enlightened
I've always preferred pocket carry over holsters and clips. Even with a raised button it hasn't turned on by accident. But it's usually carried in a utility pocket on my carhartts.

mrlysle

Enlightened
I have a Modoo clip on my 170t and keep it clipped in my right front pocket. When I decided I just HAD to have a rotary, I got mine from Dan at Thors Hammer Custom Leather, and ask him to make me a holster for it. I'm extremely pleased with both! Dan's great to deal with and can make a holster for any light you own. Here's a couple pics of my rotary and the holster he made. Also a shot of the holster he made for my SC600. Fits the light like a glove. You can also get the spare cell holders if you wan,t which is the only way to go IMHO.

DSCN7341.JPG

DSCN7357.JPG

DSCN7406.JPG

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
i used to just throw my clicky in my pocket.
i do hope to get a rotary one day, and when that day happens, Dan at Thor's Hammer will be hearing from me.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes my Rotary traveled to the UK (ledfiretourches,co,uk) and back to the States. Btw, contact Brian Wahlen at KYTEX if interested, I'm sure he'll mail it to you, don't see any reason not to, but if there is a problem Send me a PM with your address and I'll mail you my KYTEX an I'll order another one from Brian!

Oh, ... Cheers!

Btw the clips ok, but if you do use it (can't remember who gave us the heads up on it) you'll have to drill an detent in it so it can go over the stop screw for the rotary's cap.

CrazyIvan2011

Enlightened
Think I might contact Brian Wahlen at KYTEX then, can not hurt to sent an email and ask. Hope there wont be to much charge for import/tax?
I got stung with that not so long ago when I got a watch from the states! Im sure I got ripped off by UK customs.

Any way thanks for the offer...I will keep it in mind! I do really like the look of them, seem as slim line as you can get for the HDS's. I dont really want a 'bulky' holster or elaborate fixing method. I did take a good look at Dan's products over at Thor's Hammer though...and his holsters do look exceptional. But for day to day, I think I would like to use the KYTEX.

Think for now, I am just going to be happy to get my hands on the light :clap:

davyro

Enlightened
Think I might contact Brian Wahlen at KYTEX then, can not hurt to sent an email and ask. Hope there wont be to much charge for import/tax?
I got stung with that not so long ago when I got a watch from the states! Im sure I got ripped off by UK customs.

Any way thanks for the offer...I will keep it in mind! I do really like the look of them, seem as slim line as you can get for the HDS's. I dont really want a 'bulky' holster or elaborate fixing method. I did take a good look at Dan's products over at Thor's Hammer though...and his holsters do look exceptional. But for day to day, I think I would like to use the KYTEX.

Think for now, I am just going to be happy to get my hands on the light :clap:

I was right Ivan,i went to pull the trigger on another Rotary this evening & guess what,you got the last one in the UK that was for sale.
So it's either a long wait for Henry to send ledfire more supplies or i order one from the U.S.You have all my blessings though as i
already own one so i'm glad you got to get your first one,you'll have it by tomorow so enjoy getting to know your light.:thumbsup: