Large flashlight holster?

Chrisdm

Enlightened
Hey guys, looking for a good holster for my larger LED torches, such as my Jetbeam M1Xm (with extender), or my Fivemega 2x26500... What works? Thanks!

jcalvert

Enlightened
Hi Chris,

I use this with any of my mid to large headed lights (Wildcat, HoundDog, M3X, Tiablo A10, SF M2, Cryos M2 bezel-based lights) and it has worked out great due to its large degree of adjustability. It can be belt-mounted vertically as well as horizontally. The durability of Maxpedition products is first rate!

One improvement I would personally like added is a heavy duty version of a 360 degree, rotating belt clip similar in function to the the Nite-Ize Lite Stretch Holster seen here, but improve the clip design for improved speed of belt placement & removal (like my cell phone holster). I've trialed others at brick & morter stores and reviewed options online, and I personally haven't found a better option yet for the larger headed lights. Although these are considerations from Brite-Strike.

Although the Nite-Ize holster will work with any of my listed lights, it can be a pain to holster & remove lights that don't have a fairly plain body/battery tube. So it works perfectly for my Malkoff MD series lights. Unlike some reports that the rotating clip is not strong enough to hold its position with heavier lights, maybe I've been fortunate because I have several of these all have strong rotating mechanisms.

Also, I started trialing this instead of using a lanyard to see if I like it. I hope this helps!

All the best,
John

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have a rummage around the b+m stores in the tool section,you will find all types of tool carriers that will do the job nicely.I was looking at a battery drill holder today for the same purpose,will work great i think.

Chrisdm

Enlightened
Thanks John, I had that Maxpedition once with one of my Cryos, sold it... I do have a Wildcat now that I could use it for, thanks... I do recall that it didn't have enough length to handle my Jetbeam M1Xm though, which is my primary light for field work. Shame it doesn't seem there's a compatible holster.

Chrisdm

Enlightened
Thanks Mcnair, but I don't know what a b+m store is... I might try the Home Depot based on your suggestion though!

dougie

Enlightened
I've used the Maxpedition universal falshlight holder and it can take really large lights with ease. Really well made but the velcro does attract a lot of c**p if you are in the boonies!

africanexperience

Newly Enlightened
Dougie, does it ever feel that the light could possibly (like with really hard use) fall out the bottom? and do you bash into stuff with the exposed bottom of the light? I use a small maxpedition closed sheath which is fantastic, but just not so convinced with open ended ones. Many thanks.

dougie

Enlightened
I originally had the same concerns about loosing the light and managed with several lights to adjust the detachable flap at the top to secure the light from coming out the top. However, I found with several lights that the flap didn't work anyway so dumped it. As to loosing the light from the bottom....well all except one of my bigger lights has a bezel which is large enough to prevent this from happening. The only light which I own which hasn't got a particularly large bezel is a Pelican 8060 but all I did was cinch down the velcro retaining strap enough to make it tight but not so tight I couldn't get the light out of the holster. Problem solved! As to bashing the bottom of the light I suppose it depends where you mount the light. Belt? back pack etc. In reality the bottom of the light will get bashed but I've never had a sleepless nights about it and certainly nothing more than a little cosmetic scratching to worry about. With a lot of the longer lights carrying is always going to be an issue whatever you use. Seems to me the advantage of the Maxpedition is the better security than a loop or simple strap and the avoidance of the light swinging about on a belt etc. As I said the real problem is that velcro attracts dirt, twigs, fluff etc. If you do stuff in the boonies then it'll always be a pain to clean afterwards. Perhaps the answer is to figure out which of your larger lights you will carry the most and get a leather one made up professionally?

kaiser37

Newly Enlightened
You can try what another member on here did and use the material kydex to create your own. :twothumbs