NiteCore EX11.2 XP-G R5 200 Lumen - Good EDC

Fiskar

Newly Enlightened
Hi there

Who has an EX11.2 NiteCore are they any good as EDC or do they eat batteries?

Are they reliable or too electronic to stand up to working day use.

Is there a better alternative for the price?

Last edited:

LGT

Enlightened
First off, welcome to CPF Fiskar. I'm on my second EX11.2. The first one worked fine for about two weeks, but then just went all over the place when turned on, if it did turn on, or off for that matter. Sometimes had to remove the battery to turn off. I was sent another light from dealer and this one has worked as it's supposed to. While I've never been into lights that ramp (gradualy change) from one setting to the next, this one has a shortcut to high or low. Overall, I like the UI, beam tint, and smooth transition from hotspot to corona. As for a better alternative for the price, that all depends on what type of light you prefer, as you will find out. Good luck with your search.

Last edited:

Fiskar

Newly Enlightened
Thanks LGT, thats disappointing with your first Ex11. Will have to research this thing further.

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
I cant tell you what alternative there is, I havent looked myself, but are likely to do so now...
I own a Nitecore EX11, V2. Just got it yesterday and mine is faulty also! There are a 0,18A drain when turned off! Noticed this after feeling that the light heated up when off, and after leaving it off over night it completely drained the battery! I took a closer look at the contacts on the head, there seems to be two rows of copper going around the head, i think you make a connection between these two when you turn the light on/of etc...
Anyway, when looking at them through a magnifier glass you see that the two contact circles are very uneven in places, and there seems to be diverse distance between them. It also looks like the circuit board has "crumbled" or cracked in some places leaving some small debris that might allowing a small current flow between the contacts even in off mode...I have emailed the dealer about this and are awaiting an answer as we speak. Of course this is only seen by looking trough a magnifier! Didnt notice that there where two rows until I used the magnifier...

I really like the light, the UI and overall feel to it. Its the first Nitecore I own or have handled. I think its to technical to have as a serious SHTF light EDC, but as an everyday EDC (with of course a backup light within reaching distance :) ) it works great, that is if the thing works as it should...

To bad my first experience with Nitecore should suck, first impressions tends to stick with this sorts of things for me...Fortunately it wasnt a very expensive light, and Im hoping fore some solution.

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
These piston lights are among the most unreliable lights, sorry, THE most unreliable light ever made. It's sad because the idea and UI behind it is great. I had 3 EX10, 1 D10, 1 D11 and 1 EX11.2 and they all failed. Broken bezel after a drop of 2' on a wood floor, fried driver, uneven ramping sequence, turn off unexpectedly after about 10 seconds, huge parasitic drain that empty a cell in couple of days, etc... I really tried to like them but a light that I don't trust can't be my EDC...

saypat

Enlightened
No problems at all with mine. I love the UI. It is one of my favorite lights. I have an RCR 123 on the way, one that supposedly fits, so I'm not concerned about battery usage. Paid $45 for it I believe.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
These piston lights are among the most unreliable lights, sorry, THE most unreliable light ever made. It's sad because the idea and UI behind it is great. I had 3 EX10, 1 D10, 1 D11 and 1 EX11.2 and they all failed. Broken bezel after a drop of 2' on a wood floor, fried driver, uneven ramping sequence, turn off unexpectedly after about 10 seconds, huge parasitic drain that empty a cell in couple of days, etc... I really tried to like them but a light that I don't trust can't be my EDC...

Unfortunatly you will here alot of this as people that have had issues tend to be more vocal - please remember this ! I own two piston lights, i have never had a problem, they do not drain batterys, they are lovely to use great ui and are very well built little tanks. if you you tube the 'nitecore d10 test ' or somin like that i think there are plenty of vids showing how strong and durable they are !

I use my ex11 more than any other light, its small powerful, and i quickly get any brightness i need. an added bonus is the silent button for sneaking round the house/ checking on my kid not waking anybody- it has a real low low too, lower than advertised thats for sure.

Fiskar

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the contributions. Will not be spending hard earned cash on an expensive toy that may or not work. <BR><BR>Retought my EDC needs (swich on high and focus to low lumens by twist or rapid switching) and have settled on one or all of the following<BR><BR>Sunwayman V10R<BR><BR>Jetbeam PC10<BR><BR>Jetbeam PA10<BR><BR>

jag-engr

Enlightened
These piston lights are among the most unreliable lights, sorry, THE most unreliable light ever made.
I love the UI. It is one of my favorite lights.
I agree with both of these sentiments. The UI on these lights was revolutionary. It is my favorite UI of all time. I also love the levels - a real low level and a reasonably selected high level. Unfortunately, the switch (and, in some cases, the body of the light) is the Achilles heel of the NiteCore SmartPD design.

... I really tried to like them but a light that I don't trust can't be my EDC...
I have two EX10's currently - one is my nightstand light and the other is my wife's nightstand light. I carried one as my EDC for almost a year - until the body broke in half in my hands during normal activation. I can't bring myself to trust the design again.

Last edited:

LGT

Enlightened
Thanks for all the contributions. Will not be spending hard earned cash on an expensive toy that may or not work. <BR><BR>Retought my EDC needs (swich on high and focus to low lumens by twist or rapid switching) and have settled on one or all of the following<BR><BR>Sunwayman V10R<BR><BR>Jetbeam PC10<BR><BR>Jetbeam PA10<BR><BR>
Can't blame you for this decision. Though I must say the replacement has worked without a glitch. But if you can swing spending about twice as much, look into an HDS clicky or executive. IMO, it's a much better light then those you mentioned. Though they are decent lights, I think the HDS lights are far more durable, and the UI allows many options on how you want your light to operate.

Rokron

Newly Enlightened
I have an EX11.2 and I do like it, BUT, due to its complex UI, I find that you have to pay attention when you turn it off. I operate excavators mostly during the day and sometimes at night and that is when I rely on my EDC. I have found that when I shut the light off, or so I thought and stuffed it back into my shirt pocket, I find later that the light was still on, in low mode. I don't have the time to worry if the light is off or not because I have more important things to worry about. I still have and use the EX, it is a neat little flashlight but I now use a V10R T6 as my EDC for work. When I turn it off, it's off and on top of that it has a more useful floodier light for my needs.
As far as the battery life, I found no problem. I use good Panasonic batteries and get great run times with them.

jondotcom

Enlightened
I'm looking at the new D11.2 and a used but clean D10 for 1/2 the price, but the D10 is a known battery vampire.

Am I crazy to consider purchasing the D10? I don't have a problem with removing the batt when not in use.

It just seems to me that I'm gambling for the same issue on the D11 at twice the price.

-Edit- I pulled the trigger on a EX11- hope I am one of the lucky ones!

Last edited:

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wanna chime in.

I have jumped in with both feet, wallet, and credit cards in January and bought a TON of lights
after careful research and also saying 'screw it I want it'....

My Nitecore EX11.2 is what I feel is the 'ultimate' production EDC. The UI is amazing, every mode is simple to reach,
size is amazing, the beam is the best ring-free beam of any light I own.

Yes everyone has preferences...mine is...if I could find 20 more of these buggers, I would have bought
all of them and dumped 1/2 the lights I did buy.

Yes there is a lot of mechanical action inside these lights, and it certainly makes sense that it might
need some maintenance (cleaning) if the modes go buggy. But wow O geez this light is the ducks nuts.

I feel ALL LED lights should have the Nitecore UI system, I cannot find any want for anything else.

kaabob

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking at the new D11.2 and a used but clean D10 for 1/2 the price, but the D10 is a known battery vampire.

Am I crazy to consider purchasing the D10? I don't have a problem with removing the batt when not in use.

It just seems to me that I'm gambling for the same issue on the D11 at twice the price.

-Edit- I pulled the trigger on a EX11- hope I am one of the lucky ones!

I take it since you haven't said anything since, that you were one of the lucky ones with no problems?
Let us know!

jondotcom

Enlightened
I take it since you haven't said anything since, that you were one of the lucky ones with no problems?
Let us know!
Sorry I've been away for a while.

I love it. I now have the EX11.2 and a D11.2 and they work perfect, though i do not carry them daily. For every day use I'm using lights that I don't mind damaging :).

Knife Boy

Newly Enlightened
I have an original EX-10 and the newer EX.11.2 and I love the both. The EX.11.2 is my favorite of the two. Fit and finish was top notch and I love the UI. Very cool light.

Perrinsf

Newly Enlightened
Can't blame you for this decision. Though I must say the replacement has worked without a glitch. But if you can swing spending about twice as much, look into an HDS clicky or executive. IMO, it's a much better light then those you mentioned. Though they are decent lights, I think the HDS lights are far more durable, and the UI allows many options on how you want your light to operate.
I have bought a good number of EDC lights, but keep coming back to two of them as my favorites: Fenix PD20 and the Thrunite Nuetron 1C. Fenix is my first choice. Super compact, well made, pocket clip, 4 brightness levels plus strobe & SOS. 180 lumens max. Slight OP reflector so you get a nice blend of throw and spill. Thrunite is slightly larger with no pocket clip. 255 lumens, XML LED, 5 brightness levels, more of a floody beam, but super bright for short or medium distance needs. I have other EDC's from nitecore, Lumapower and ultra fire as well, but keep coming back to these two for most needs. Just my two cents......

Megatrowned

Enlightened
Maybe I could ask a ? here, not trying to take over the thread. I picked up a EX11.2, and it is a great light. Love the UI. However the button is really tough to press. Will defiantly wear out your thumb if you use the light a lot. Is this how they all are, or just the one I got?

AnotherADDiction

Newly Enlightened
Well, I am going to give a little love to this thread. :)
I got a D10 when they were first released, and I liked it so much that I got the D20, and then a D10 'Tribute'. I The D10's each have a trit in them, and that was my edc for the a while. I never have had any issues with them, and I have the original UI, and that they I am prefer.
Once I picked up my HDS, there was no turning back, and it has been my edc ever since. IMO, nothing feels better in my hand, than the Henry's gem -especially when it has the best Ti clip on it too.