BC40 Inductor whine on low

Jerrycobra

Newly Enlightened
This is my first real light, and i have been enjoying it so far. I got bored yesterday and decided to power it up inside the holster. When i did, i heard a whine. At first i thought it was a problem then did some searching, and found that high power lights have a tendency to do this. It only does it on low power, and sound is very directional, and to hear it you have to be directly above the diode. if it wasn't for the holster i would have never noticed it. Anyone else with this light hear the whine?

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've noticed this too, on my light that doesnt have PWM, there's a high-pitched whine. When i swapped out the cell with a fresh one, the noise disappeared. Try replacing the cell and test it again.

Jerrycobra

Newly Enlightened
i have only one set of batteries, but i can try switching the battery's order around try see what happens

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately some light's just have that noise usually with light's that use PWM but I'm noticed it on some light's that is current controlled and I don't know why, my knowledge stops there.

I know this sounds silly but try pointing at something dark colored like a black or dark blue shirt at very close distance and see if the whine becomes more audible.

Jerrycobra

Newly Enlightened
its not silly, its what made me notice the sound, lol. i turned it on in the black holster, and the cover over the head amplified the noise, hence the discovery