SureFire host ideas...Z2....need advice..

d.weglarz13

Enlightened
Hey guys. Bunch of questions. Thanks for your patience.
I am waiting for a nailbender drop in XML and am looking at the Z2 host, because I love the looks of it.
I also like the C2, what is the difference between this and C2? Would my drop in fit in this? Would it fit in any small SF for that matter?
There are SO MANY different options and combos, its hard to figure it all out....even what all the letters and different editions all are.

Are there any other options like this with the skinny middle body and the adjustable grip rings like this?
I am only starting to understand the basics, but Im trying to read and learn everything I can(just like my knife problem) so please be gentle....
I have been looking all over this forum, and still haven't found a good rundown for a new comer into flashlights, that shows the differences between the different models of the SureFire line, and what the numbers/letters all mean and all.

I really like the Z2 line again for its looks, and would like to know more about it and the C2 if possible.
and I really like the Z2 for the style(Rogers Technique), and would love to hear other suggestions that might be similar looking. The size of the Z2 is perfect, so please base it around that size. I prefer the Cr123s, and am going to be looking into the rechargeable 18650s. So, again thank you for your patience for a newb, but I only really care for the ones that look like that. SO, any certain versions of the Z2 I should be looking at?
And, I like throw, if that matters any. I also saw a G2Z i think it was called that looked cool too, because it was skinny in the middle, but i think it was nitrolon. So im confused. I feel better with the metal though, and flat black of course. So, any suggestions, or even a direction I can start looking, it would be nice. A quick run down of the style lights Im going for would even be better!
Thanks for the ideas and suggestions in advance. And your patience. Im really starting to get addicted here.......
Dave

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Wow, lots to cover, so I'll need to be brief. One my two favorite CPF topics. :)

The SureFire C-series and Z-series are in a class by themselves, pretty much all of my 'open' SF's are C's and Z's. You will find proponents of each style, but both are very nice to use. I could use either, first prefering the C's but after getting used to the visual appearance of Z's, I now like to use those more.

Some very good threads you'll want to look at:
Its official. I'm a C2-HA addict..... *part 2*
Any Surefire Z-series addicts out there?
Catalog of Discontinued Surefire Flashlights

Last edited:

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a G2Z, and C2.
difference are only in the body. bezel and tailcap are the same.
Z2 is round while the C2 is square. C2 has a clip, Z2 does not.

ive have a nailbender XM-L in my C2 right now. and have owned about 5 or 6 NB drop-ins, and all fit without any problems.
i always end up cutting the larger spring so that the bezel tightens all the way down with the drop-in inside.

surefires are not made to use 18650. so it will have to be bored out.
there are a few folks at the marketplace that sell bored surefire hosts. they are usually professionally bored in batches.

you should take a look at oveready.com to get an idea of what to expect. or you can order from oveready and add all the options and customs you want.
i purchased my C2 from them, and i added a bezel, glass lens, and mcclicky switch, and white cerokote coating :naughty:

depending on your drop-in and its number of modes... looking into getting a clicky switch might be a good idea.
ive tried operating a 3-mode drop-in with surefires momentary switch, and its not the greatest.

another option would be a solarforce L2T. it comes ready to use 18650, and a clicky switch.
nailbender drop-in have no problem fitting into solarforce hosts either. solarforce usually has more space in the bezel area and doesnt require the spring to be cut.

but if you have your eyes set on a Z2, you probably wont be satisfied til you get your Z2. hehe
even if the price might be higher than you want to spend, the Z2 is a great format. and the p60 format has probably the best long term value. there are just some many parts, and options.

d.weglarz13

Enlightened
Okay, cool. Im guessing "p60" means the category of lights im looking at? (small, like the L2T, and Z2,C2s?)
Im waiting on a L2T right now, but yea, i think i need that Z2 to put my nb drop in into!
Yea, thats the problem....Soooooo many options. I was reading those links above a bit, but will read in more detail. A lot of stuff i don't understand in there though with the different letters and models and such. Thanks so far!

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Check out the Guide in the bottom left corner of the red link below. It covers concepts and terminology.

Btw, the Z2 makes a svelte pocket light with the grip rings removed.

flashlight chronic

Enlightened
If you've already chosen the Solarforce L2T, then you won't be disappointed. It's a very good quality P60 host that's already made to accept an 18650. But, like skyfire stated, you might not be satisfied till you have a Z2. Surefires have that affect on me too.

d.weglarz13

Enlightened
Hey, i see one for sale with the old logo, and one with the new logo. Is there a difference, like maybe the old ones were stronger, or somthing like that? I would like to purchase it. But, they are only Type 2 ano. Is this bad? I heard somewhere they wear bad? I like it but don't want it to look like crap after using it for a while.....Is this true?

LightJaguar

Enlightened
I might be wrong but as far as I know the Z2 were only offered in type 2 ano. As far as I know the old logo and new logo are pretty much the same if except for the logo. I personally like the old Surefire logo that came right before the new logo. I suspect that others have the same preference. You are right HA is harder and resists wear better then type II HA.
The Surefire C2 came in both natural HA or type 2 black HA. There are a few limited edition C2 in black HA that Surefire released but they are a bit hard to find and more expensive then their Natural HA counterparts.
I haven't really EDC a type II HA light much but I don't think that they are "bad" specially not from Surefire.

Captain Spaulding

Enlightened
I have a bunch of both Z2s and C2s. I really like them both, but I do like the Z2 a bit better. It looks really great with a cryos bezel, a smothie bezel, and my personal favorite, an M2 bezel.

Pics with a smoothie and with a M2 bezel... The triad tail is awesome on it too!

DSC02313.jpg

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I have a bunch of both Z2s and C2s. I really like them both, but I do like the Z2 a bit better. It looks really great with a cryos bezel, a smothie bezel, and my personal favorite, an M2 bezel.

Pics with a smoothie and with a M2 bezel... The triad tail is awesome on it too!
Hi CS,
Nice pic of the M2 head & Triad tail setup on your Z2. It's funny but I never really warmed to the look of either component, but together they make a good looking combo.

Captain Spaulding

Enlightened
Thanks Kestrel!

They both also look really great on my Z3... Dont have a pic of it handy however. The Triad is not only great looking, but it is really cool when used as a twist-on. I prefer the twist-for-constant over the clicky setups on all of my Surefires and the Triad makes it super easy to twist with your thumb in an overhand grip.

Here is a pic of the alternate view:

DSC02316.jpg

Last edited:

d.weglarz13

Enlightened
Wow, those pics are great. I really need a Z2! Btw, with SureFire, does the tail always twist for constant on? Or is that a special switch. I ask, because I think i prefer the twist-contant on, also. Thanks for the pics. I can see im going to have to get a M2 bezel also!
dave

Captain Spaulding

Enlightened
Wow, those pics are great. I really need a Z2! Btw, with SureFire, does the tail always twist for constant on? Or is that a special switch. I ask, because I think i prefer the twist-contant on, also. Thanks for the pics. I can see im going to have to get a M2 bezel also!
dave

Yeah the z2 and c2 switches are twist for constant and press for momentary by stock... Yeah the m2 bezels are great. Especially for use with incands as they have the built in shock protection.

LE6920

Newly Enlightened
You cannot go wrong with either a C2 or Z2. Both are very well designed and a joy to use!