Just wanted to say thanks

ErinB

Newly Enlightened
This weekend, I drove my mother, and 88 year old grandmother to the Willamette National Cemetary for my first visit my grandfather's grave. The sun had set a few minutes before we missed a turn, and we were lost on Mt. Scott for a while before we realized where we had gone awry. As we rolled through the main entrance, there were ten minutes before the gates closed, and the fog was beginning to roll in.

My husband (a flashlight fan) made sure there was a flashlight in the car before we left, and thankfully, a spare flashlight he had given me for walking to the bus was still in my pocket. Both were extremely helpful as my mother and I hurried to find my grandfather's grave in the increasing darkness.

Mom and I had a good moment at his grave before we raced back to the car to get my grandma. We drove as close as we could get, and my mom marked his site by pointing the light straight to the sky, like a beacon. Arm in arm, we guided my grandmother toward the light.

It's been 16 years since he passed. He braved Alaska before it was a state, and a war in the South Pacific. My mom never heard him raise his voice, and grandma swears "he disliked nothing more than a road he'd never seen the end of". He was an amazing man, and I am greatful to have known him.

So thank you, for your passion, for lighting the darkness, for being a resource for my lovely husband who helped me see something very, very important to me.

Norm

Retired Administrator
:welcome:

I'm glad to hear that the flashlights saved the day (night?)

Norm

Richub

Enlightened
Having grandparents like that makes you a better person yourself. I'm speaking from my own personal experience about this. :)

Glad we could help out, and literally shine a light for you and your family there.

Touching story, and a testimony that having good flashlights isn't just geekyness alone. It can be darn useful. ;)

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi ErinB and Welcome to CPF!

Your grandfather sounded like a great man from a great generation, I lost my grandfather 2 years ago this month and he sound a lot like yours.

Thank you for the story and I'm glad the flashlight helped salvage the day, hope to hear more from you and now your a member you should have your husband join as well if not already.

AlPal

Newly Enlightened
ErinB, "I just want to say Thanks" for sharing that story with us, and letting everyone know what a great person your Grandfather was.