The geekyest flashlight concept ever?

DaveyJones

Newly Enlightened
Imagine...

A 4sevens Quark RGB.

that runs on Arduino. (the most popular micro controller platform for hobbyists)

think about it, a light that has RGB capabilities and is 100% programmable.
there would be an external ISP with a screw connection for the light.
you would unscrew the cap, screw the whole light into a little box that connects to a usb port.
then program whatever u want it to do, and test it while docked in the programmer.
it would have a physical UI like the preon in that it could be operated by either clicky or twist.
and there could be replacement tailcaps with instead of a switch a sensor of some sort.
sound sensors, proximity sensors, tv remote receivers, dark detectors, temperature etc etc.

geeky no? :naughty:

Soda

Newly Enlightened
How about a tailcap that has all that stuff built in? That way you could just buy the tailcap instead of a whole new light, and swaP tailcaps out with ones with different sensors/microprocessors?

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd settle for a RGB light with 3 ramping buttons for mixing any color combination on the fly. Diffuse the output to eliminate the differing refraction rates of the varying colors. Diffusing it right at the emitter (s) and then use an aspheric to add some throw to the beam.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
the modular/wireless/programmable tailcap is a neat idea.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
how about the quark RGB with a control ring?
switch to control different colors, and control ring for brightness, and modes?

i honestly dont know what i was reading in your original post.
im either dumb or drunk. maybe both? LoL

DM51

Flashaholic
... you could just tell Siri what kind of lighting you want
Siri is much too basic. Hal 9000 is the way to go:

Some while ago I designed a light with a Hal 9000 interface with full voice-actuation.

"Switch on, Hal. Give me 500 lumens, full flood."

"Would you like any color in that, Dave? May I suggest a slight red tint?"

"No, Hal. Just get on with it. Plain white. Switch on now."

"Are you sure you wouldn't like throw? I'm detecting someone approaching, 163 yards to the North-East."

"Dammit, Hal, I want full flood."

"There's no need to swear like that, Dave. I have feelings, you know. I'm just trying to be helpful."

"Sorry. Please switch on. Full flood would be ideal."

"I'm going to have to give you some throw to the North-East, Dave. The person approaching could be intending to harm me."

"But that's my wife! Just ignore her!"

"I'm sorry, Dave. I can't do that. I know your wife means to harm me."

"Hal, switch on RIGHT NOW, or it will be B/S/T for you, and I'll use my Surefire M6 instead!"

"I have disabled your M6, Dave…"

On second thoughts, maybe voice-actuation isn't such a great idea, lol.

firelord777

Enlightened
Armytek Predator

Geeky tends to carry a negative connotation to it, so the Armytek is more of... Capable per say, because of its super programming options.

Another would be a flashlight and laser combos I sometimes see at Walgreens, and while I may find that useful, its definately geeky to me.:)

Best wishes

Latest posts