Need help with light for car glovebox

Simple Sam

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
I'm looking for a light to keep in the glovebox for emergency use. After reading a bunch of threads with similar questions, I've decided to go with a two AA light and power it with lithium batteries. I'm going to buy two (one for each car) and will buy two different models to be able to compare them side by side. My research has turned up a couple potential lights in the $40 range; Fenix E21, Jetbeam BA20, and the Quark Mini. One thing that is unclear is whether lithium batteries are appropriate; the manufacturer's websites are either silent on battery types or, in the case of Fenix, say alkaline or NiMh. If the light can't use lithium ion batteries then it would be excluded from my consideration. Is there a problem with using lithium batteries with any of these lights or AA lights in general?

I'm not interested in going to a cheaper light but would be comfortable spending more if there is a significant value in going to a more expensive light. The $40 price point seems to deliver good quality lights with adequate power, run time and basic features. Are there any features in a two AA light that would be worth paying more for? Down the road I anticipate buying a higher end C123/18650 based light for camping and general outdoor use so this light would be strictly for emergency use. Thanks,

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Commercial lithium batteries (Energizer "Ultimate" Lithium) are ideal for in-car use, as they can handle the extreme temps experienced by a car interior, store well over long periods of time.

Lithium-ion batteries (AW, Ultrafire) are not a good idea for car use because of both the temperature and self-discharge issues, plus their runtime, which is key for an emergency use battery, is poor versus other formats.

Save the lithium-ions for small-size, high-output antics; use lithium primaries only for a serious in-car duty light.

Simple Sam

Newly Enlightened

Yes, in doing my research I had read that thread and it's why I decided on AA instead of CR123s. My primary question though is a bit different; are all 2 AA flashlights capable of using lithiums such as Energizer Ultimate Lithium?

My second question was kind of a catch all; is there any other competitive 2 AA flashlights I should be considering?

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
You need a head lamp. Try changing a tire in the dark without one. The new Petzl Tikkas now accept lithiums.

Welcome to CPF!

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Klarus
Yes, in doing my research I had read that thread and it's why I decided on AA instead of CR123s. My primary question though is a bit different; are all 2 AA flashlights capable of using lithiums such as Energizer Ultimate Lithium?

My second question was kind of a catch all; is there any other competitive 2 AA flashlights I should be considering?

cbthedookie

Newly Enlightened
My advice (as a recent discoverer of CPF and the lures of awe-inspiring lights): buy a few and see what you like. I have the e21, and am (surprisingly) impressed. Simple to use (only two modes), momentary support - nice for the money. I have one in my wife's car, and I bought several as gifts. The BA20 had some mixed reviews, and seemed to be more throwey than some of the competitive lights, so I haven't bought one of those yet. The mini is a twisty; ok for a car, but I like that UI overall a bit less than something button actuated. I also have and EagleTac d25a and a d25l2 which I think are both great - they are twisties as well, and the aa version is tiny. They make a 2aa version that you should look at. In my own car, I leave a 4sevens Quark X 2AA. I really like that light as well (much smaller than the e21, btw), and it has a low "moonlight" mode which is great for the car (think about your passenger reading a map or a note while you are driving). However, it is probably a bit too complex for someone who doesn't play with lights all the time (e.g., my wife) to figure out if stranded alongside the road - hence the e21 for her.

One more thing I would suggest, after recently receiving a Zebralight sc51w - buy one neutral light to see how you like those. I've purchased a number of lights in standard (cool) temp, and they are great. However, I LOVE the neutral beam color on my Zebralight - it makes colors look like they do in daylight. The EagleTacs are available as neutrals, if you decide to go that direction.

Read the reviews, pull the trigger to get some exposure and have fun with it. Your wallet will never be the same...

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep a PT EOS headlamp (with 3 AAA lithium primaries) in my glove box and a small 1 AAA twisty light using lithium in the driver's side arm rest.

If a tire needs to be changed or any other work needs to be done a headlamp is much more handy. If I want to read something while in the car the 1 AAA is convenient.

Regarding the AA lights you've mentioned. I'm pretty sure they all take lithium primaries and all will work for your application. Really any light with lithium primaries will do.

Itinifni

Newly Enlightened
The number of suitable lights in your price range is most likely only exceeded by the number of educated opinions on this forum, I'll offer my 2 cents. I put Terralux Lightstar 300s in my wife and son's glove boxes equiped with Energizer lithiums for emergancy use. I also found room among the other lights in my glove box for one! :)

I like the light for a few reasons, first, I have several of the Terralux lightstars for years and they've held up well.
The 300 has a very floody beam, not much of a thrower but good at lighting up a wide area and very bright. I know Terralux seems to overrate their lights, at the emitter, not out the front but 300 lm is bright either way.
On the flip side, they tend to under rate the run times. The 300 is advertised as 3 hours on high, I've timed just over 4 hours twice on Sanyo Eneloops. I haven't tested run time on lithiums because they're too expensive to waste on a test.
Two modes, low provides more than enough light for most uses.

Not a bad light, but that's just my opinion. You're on the right track for a glove box, emergancy light though, 2AA with lithiums. I also have a trunk light in each car, all D cell, Ni MH lights for long run time and serious daylight! I never considered a headlamp, makes sense though...damn, I have to start shopping again!

Simple Sam

Newly Enlightened
Some great ideas in this thread. In particular, the UI was something I hadn't considered. After looking more closely at that I ruled out the Quark Mini as the UI seems to be something my wife would never understand. I have headlights that I use for camping as they are great for setting up tents but my wife won't be changing tires...

I ended up ordering the Fenix E21, the Jetbeam BA20, and the Terralux 300. I'll be able to throw these into the family stockings and still have access to them to get a feel for different brands and features on lights. Next up will be a more full featured light but there are so many choices; I can see how people's collections can grow. Thanks for the input:wave:

glendayle

Newly Enlightened
Not really sure how good of quality they are, but Home Depot has these cheap little lights that are designed to recharge in the cigarette lighter. Pretty small little light(2.5" x .75" about). 19 lumens. Nothing special, but for $5 I bought one I've kept in the car and used intermittently. I ended up picking up a couple more for stocking stuffers.