Elzetta ZFL-M60

airrick

Newly Enlightened
I just got my 2 Elzetta's in the mail and when I compare the beams of the 2 cell and 3 cell they are not the same. The 2 cell has a smaller hotspot and the 3 cell has more spill. Is this normal because of the optics? I was under the impression that the 2 cell and 3 cell have the same bezel.

dougie

Enlightened
Apart from the body length they are the same. The Elzetta's use the same bezels,Malkoff modules and tailcaps. I would check the following out first: (1) that both lamp modules are the same type, ie, both use optics and both are the same Malkoff units. As Malkoff modules can be bought in several versions it might be that you have a different type of module in one of your lights. (2) check that there isn't dirt or something else making you loose juice in one of your lights. (3) check each battery using a meter to ensure that every battery is providing the same output. If all is OK with all the above it 'might' be either a faulty module or optic in which case I'd speak to your supplier!

airrick

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the quick response! I just put all of the batteries on the volt meter and 4 of them are putting out exactly 3.0 volts and the 5th is putting out 2.99 volts. I also did not see any dirt or anything inside. How do I know if the Malkoff modules are exactly the same? They do look exactly the same. Both of the flashlights produce a nice beam I just expected them to be identical. I took a beam shot picture. Is there a minimum post count to post pictures?

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even with identical lights, beam profiles will vary. If the difference is drastic or if the beam is undesirable maybe you have a faulty light.

BTW, the Elzetta looks like an awesome light. I hope to score one soon!

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
The optics used in the M60 drop ins require the emitter to be almost perfectly centred to offer a nice, round hotspot!! Also, the distance of the emitter from the optic will affect the size and intensity of the hotspot. Combine this with varying tint of individual emitters, it's not surprising your two M60s' beams look different. I would say that one of your M60s has a 'bluer' tint that offers a brighter looking spill than the other.

If the overall light output of both lights is similar, then I would say that both are operating to within specs. You would have never noticed any beam differences if you didn't have two lights in hand.

James.... :)

airrick

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies. I kind of thought it might be just a tolerance difference or the fact that every light is a little different as neither of the beams seem faulty. Anywhere here is a pic from my iphone with both of them running at the same time. The 2 cell beam is on the right.

beamshot.jpg

purelite

Enlightened
thee is a noticeable difference there. If they are the same distance from the wall and the same dropins this doesnt make sense

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Wow, that is werid!!

Congrats on the Elzettas!! I love my 2 & 3 celled Elzettas. :D

Did you know the company is named after one of the founders Grandma? Pretty cool. :cool:

airrick

Newly Enlightened
I did know that! :thumbsup: I scoured their site pretty well before I bought them.

I decided to email Elzetta with the picture. They replied back in exactly 20 minutes which is pretty darn fast if you ask me. Turns out it is a normal variance in the M60 drop in. Here is the reply...

Thank you for using Elzetta products. The difference in the beams between your two Elzetta ZFL-M60 Flashlights is in the Malkoff M60 Modules. All Malkoff LED Modules are manufactured to a set of tolerances for beam pattern, tint, output, current draw, etc. Slight variations in the beams is inherent in the manufacturing of the Modules and such variations are within engineering specifications.

If you have any questions or if we can be of assistance please contact us again.