MiniX 123 Observations and Questions.

witness

Newly Enlightened
I just got a MiniX 123 and, in comparison to Mini 123, I've noticed:
1) it's only got a "slightly" larger hot spot it but, overall, it seems significantly dimmer
2) the colour temp/tint is yellower (which adds to the perception that it is dimmer)

Has anyone else noticed these things and does ANYONE actually like it better than the Mini 123?

witness

Newly Enlightened
Try a ceiling bounce test. The XM-L in the Mini will definitely be a floody beam which can be deceiving in regards to overall output.
Thanx dude. That was a great suggestion and clearly reveals the fact the MiniX throws more light than the Mini. That still leaves the question of tint though. Is it normal that the MiniX beam is significantly yellower?

witness

Newly Enlightened
Is the perceived "throw" of the Mini and illusion?

I got the ceiling test and it's informative but does the narrower more intense hot spot of the Mini actually throw better or is that just an illusion?

Danielight

Enlightened
I just received my Quark MiniX today, and must say that, overall, I am pleased with it. As some other reviewers have pointed out, the beam does have a greenish tint to it. However, it's really not that bad, and the light output for a single cr123 is fantastic! Also, some have pointed out that the threads are loose to the point of being "sloppy." With mine, I can activate it one-handed, and can even pull back on the head if it's barely twisted off to get a kind of "momentary on" effect. However, the unit feels solid to me, and I wouldn't call the threads "sloppy." Because of the size, and the 1.2 lumen low-level output, this one will probably end up on my nightstand.

lateralus180

Newly Enlightened
I own a Mini 123 neutral and used to own a MiniX 123 neutral. While it has been several months since I sold the minix, I will try to explain the differences I remember.

The mini xpg has a narrow and very defined hot spot. Its almost like something you would see on a smooth reflector. It does have a secondary hot spot but overall has great throw. This light seems to throw effectively from 75-100 yards I would estimate.

The mini xml has a wider hot spot but the spill is brighter. I think this version is a great option for walking the dog or night walks. I remember it throwing effectively out to like 50-75 yards or something.

Overall I remember debating the difference and deciding which one to keep. I went with the XPG because it has a more consistent tint and the added throw is nice. Both still perform very well up close as an EDC light.

Danielight

Enlightened
I just received my Quark MiniX today, and must say that, overall, I am pleased with it. As some other reviewers have pointed out, the beam does have a greenish tint to it. However, it's really not that bad, and the light output for a single cr123 is fantastic! Also, some have pointed out that the threads are loose to the point of being "sloppy." With mine, I can activate it one-handed, and can even pull back on the head if it's barely twisted off to get a kind of "momentary on" effect. However, the unit feels solid to me, and I wouldn't call the threads "sloppy." Because of the size, and the 1.2 lumen low-level output, this one will probably end up on my nightstand.
UPDATE: The threads on the MiniX are loose enough that you can turn it on & toggle between brightness levels with one hand. Must be careful to rotate the head enough between levels, or you might experience the "skipping" that some have reported. Regarding the greenish tint, even though it's not very appealing on a white wall, I have found that is is actually better than my XP-G R5 light for walking around at night (e.g., in my case, walking the dogs).