Newbie here! 3 Cell bulb question?

givemebreak

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
I just wanted to let you know I am really finding some cool stuff here on this site. I found it about 5 days ago.
Keep up the good work!

My question is.... Will a 3 Cell Maglite Krypton bulb run with 4AA's without burning it out?

Thank you and will I will be sticking around...good stuff here!

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Warning! This is a guess...this is only a guess! You will now be returned to abnormal programming.

Using rechargeables or alkalines in good condition will shorten the lamp's life but it will be brighter. Alky AA's voltage & current will sag more so the lamp may not burn out quite as quickly...but the higher, initial, power of new batteries may be too much. In either case run-time will be less with AA cells.

Run the test yourself and tell us what happens. No better way to get your feet wet, here, at CPF. WELCOME, givemeabreak.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I would think that a three cell krypton bulb should work with 4 AA's. If you want something even brighter than that, try checking out some xenon bulbs.

givemebreak

Newly Enlightened
Thank you!
I am trying it as we speak!
I have a Dorcy Solid State single LED that I bought last year.
Im bored with it...not so bright.
I took my 3C battery Maglite bulb and threw it in there.
MY LORD! Almost knocked me over!

I just bought a Streamlight Twintask for $36 shipped and will be here tomorrow.
I'm done for, arn't I? This is how it all starts eh? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I also took my Mini mag and put a single red led in and opened the reflector to make it fit.... very cool!
I also can't live without my Blue photon 3

givemebreak

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
IlluminatingBikr said:
f you want something even brighter than that, try checking out some xenon bulbs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Says Home Depot has them....I'm OFF!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
givemebreak said:
I just bought a Streamlight Twintask for $36 shipped and will be here tomorrow.
I'm done for, arn't I? This is how it all starts eh? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, this is how it all starts. Your in for a long journey givemeabreak! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

P.S. When I said "welcome to cpf" before I really meant to say welcome to the disease. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

jhereg

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
I'm done for, arn't I? This is how it all starts eh?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yep. I just started reading this forum about 3 weeks ago. Now I am carrying 3 Surefires (E1, E2E & G2 w/ P61) with me everyday. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif Have been seriously thinking about what I can do with the 2D Mag flashlight which sits in my car all the time. Have come to the conclusion I will probably put a D-> 123 Adaptor & run 3 123 batteries & a 6 cell Xenon bulb to start. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i put a 3 cell krypton bulb in my tec40 (4AA's) in place of its halogen bulb and i got a nice white light.. that was with partially used batteries.. i tried the same thing with fresh batteries and the bulb blew..

givemebreak

Newly Enlightened
Well.....I got my Xenon bulb for my 3 cell "D" Maglite at Home Depot.
Yep, nice!
Looks much better. They Krypton is nice..but I do see the difference!

The krypton hasn't blown yet with 4 new AA's
in the Dorcy Solid State....guess ill see!

My wants are more then my wallet can handle...errr!
I see all the Surefire's and other nice lights.

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
An EverLED ($40) is the best use of a 2D Maglite I've seen. That or a Mag Xenon 2 cell bulb ($3). Either way, a UCL ($7) will help a bit. You could also get an InReTech MC660 18 Red LED adapter module ($40). The red works on 2 cells.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
givemeabreak -

Welcome to CPF.

Flashaholism is sometimes genetic and you have it. What I'm more concerned about is that you are showing tendencies of being a ModMan. Some of them come from places not of this earth. Most of them are just plain crazy. Have you checked out the Homemade and Modified forum here?

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Danger! Danger!

Hot wires in use!

Wilkey /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

givemebreak

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Icebreak said:
givemeabreak -

Welcome to CPF.

Flashaholism is sometimes genetic and you have it. What I'm more concerned about is that you are showing tendencies of being a ModMan. Some of them come from places not of this earth. Most of them are just plain crazy. Have you checked out the Homemade and Modified forum here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I can say YES to being a modman...if it comes apart...well i'm on the inside!
I am checking out the Homemade and Modified forums, Thank you!
Seeing this the best way to get what I want without spending a fortune!
My wife and I are buying our first house...tired of the renting scene! We have 4 kids and on a tight budget too.
BUT ya gotta have hobbies!
Between this and my car...my wife will surely kill me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I run several lights that way, either 4AA or 4C in some cases.

That said...

In any light I am absolutely counting on, I don't have THOSE lights overdriven. In fact, many are LED so I can be SURE it will work.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Givemebreak,

What a great handle. Welcome to CPF. I believe that this is a place that you will fit into really well . . . for better or for worse. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif It seems that CPFers like the idea of "more." As Ginseng warns, beware of hot wires. They can take you down the path of more and more lumens. It's an insatiable venture that many of us love.

Glad to have you with us.

Paul

givemebreak

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for all your warm welcome's!!

My Streamlight 3C Twin-Task Titanium came in today!
Looks cool...we'll see when it gets dark out!
For some reason I thought it came with batteries...nope.
THANK GOD I had some in the drawer !

Ok...what can i do to it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif