zebralight sc50+ confusion on brightness

hb-light

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone

I'm posting because I'm confused about what my Zebralight sc50+'s light intensity on different batteries. On one hand I have my Li-ion battery and the other I have my NiMH battery as shown below. I've underlined the more important part of this post in case you guys don't want to read everything.

(1) 'LCBTY'
Li-ion 14500 AA-rechargeable
3.7v capacity 2000mah

(2) 'Rayovac'
Ni-MH AA-rechargeable
1.2v capacity 2300mah

Here's a page for the specifications for the light:
http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/led_torches/zebralight_sc50.html

According to the specifications of the light, the highest output on the NiMH is supposed to be the same as the high 1 output on the Li-ion. The output value is 122 Lm but below I posted up the pics for the sake of relativity. I also posted up the Li-on's H2 mode and NiMH strobe mode just for the sake of having the pictures and relativity. What I'm really comparing is pictures (4) and (5).

(3) Li-ion High 2 highest mode

(4) Li-ion High 1

(5) Ni-MH Highest mode

(6) Ni-MH strobe

(5) is clearly brighter than (4). I have no idea why am I seeing this!!! Specifications say that they should be the same, but they're not, and it has been bothering me for weeks. On other comparisons, as expected (3) is clearly brighter than (5). If you calculate the percent increase of (3) and (5) it comes to about a 58% increase, according to the specifications. Everyone's eyesight perception is different, but this value seems to represent the difference in the photos to me. And as expected (6) has the lowest brightness since strobe is supposed to lower than (5). These are all the comparisons worth making.

I'm using a phone camera and placed my flashlight pointing up to the ceiling. The quality is poor but I figure it's okay because I used the same phone throughout all my photos. I directed the flashlight so that it's shining directly at the ceiling. The light is reflecting down to the objects on my desk mainly from the ceiling. I've tried the best I can to keep everything constant as I switch back and forth between batteries and while taking photos i.e. my positioning with the camera, the positioning of the flashlight and positioning of everything on my desk. I had a few doubts about the Li-ion battery since I got it for very CHEAP from Hong Kong. I went to my school and checked the voltage for both batteries and they both seem to be at the advertised voltage value mentioned on the battery label.

I emailed the Zebralight representative about this and she told me to stick a 'Eneloop' or a 'Energizer L91 Lithium'. That part didn't make sense to me because I know that the Eneloop has 1.2v and ~2000mah and the Energizer has 1.5v and 3000mah. This is about the same as my Rayovac so wouldn't it just give me the same results as (5) and (6)?? Or would my flashlight treat the Energizer battery as a 14500 bringing it up to 193Lm since there's Lithium in the Energizer?? I've recently compared the difference between the Eneloop and Rayovac - no difference - which is expected since they're both NiMH and 1.2v. But since the Energizer has Lithium and the voltage is at 1.5v, I wonder if I get the output boost.

I'm very new to batteries and flashlights and stuff so I want to apologize about my cumbersome question to those who know better. I've done my best to search this forum and browse in general for the answers with no luck. From what I've gathered in the realm of flashlights and batteries, the higher the voltage the higher the light intensity. Also, the greater the capacity the longer a flashlight is able to run. These are only true as long as everything is kept constant, i.e. the same reflecting wall is being used for comparison, the same LED emitter (XP-E) is being used for comparison etc..

I appreciate any knowledge, direction or references to my questions.

Thanks,
Chow.

Last edited: