Swapping failing MC-E to XM-L in Olight M30?

adrenaline_rush

Newly Enlightened
I've been reading a bunch on modding after the MCE diode in my Olight M30 started functioning at 50%, as only two of the dies constantly work :confused: Pretty disappointing for a 4-month old gently used light to have this.. I really prefer the XML die due to the lack of the donut hole, and the more effecient and brighter qualities of this die. What do you guys think, will the driver handle the XML? I mean it's not like like the difference is extreme between the two, the forward voltage 3.5 in the MCE vs 3.35 in the XML, and the forward current max 2.8A for the MCE and 3A for the XML.

I haven't done any modding on a light like this, and could not find anyone that had done this for this specific light. Advice would be greatly appreciated. I just don't know if Olight will honor the warranty since I bought the light off ebay, and am willing to experiment here.

Stephen Wallace

Enlightened
I think the biggest question here is one of how the dies of the MC-E are wired. 4S? 4P? 2S2P? That will determine the voltage being sent to the LED. I don't know the wiring configuration for this light off the top of my head. If the board is supplying 3.5v to the MC-E as you stated, then I wouldn't have thought that there would be any great issue in swapping the MC-E out for an XM-L.

etherealshade

Enlightened
The OP states only two of the dies in the MCE still work. That sounds like a 2S2P wiring design to me. It's possible a solder joint has failed, which could be repaired. In any case, I doubt you could put an XML in the light without it letting the magic smoke out.

Stephen Wallace

Enlightened
Doh! Yes, you're quite correct, considering that two dies have failed, a 4S configuration is very much off the cards. Could still be a 4P with two dies having failed, but that would be something of a coincidence.

Toaster79

Enlightened
I doubt that in 4P confing the other two dies would survive 1.4A current each or they will fry soon. I'm pretty sure it's 2S2P config, but sill might be wrong. It would be nice to know what's the battery setup also.

adrenaline_rush

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies guys. As far as the configuration type, I don't know how to determine that, but I did take a picture of the LED and traced the leads. Battery configuration is 2x18650 Ultrafire 4000mah protected type.

Also when I push slightly on the bottom left lead on the LED, the 2 flickering dies stay lit.

The faling dies are the 2 on the bottom.

dscf4020p.jpg

Toaster79

Enlightened
2S2P config with 2S batteries and linear type of driver. Try resoldering all the pads, looks like a loose contact if the bad two dies react to pressure.

mat_the_cat

Newly Enlightened
If it's only 4 months old, how about taking it back under warranty? Unless you're really keen to mod it...

adrenaline_rush

Newly Enlightened
2S2P config with 2S batteries and linear type of driver. Try resoldering all the pads, looks like a loose contact if the bad two dies react to pressure.

Yep, I did some resoldering on the suspected pad, and it seemed to be working. For now at least.

If it's only 4 months old, how about taking it back under warranty? Unless you're really keen to mod it...

I'm not sure they will honor it.. I would just really like to have the XML instead of the MCE, then it would be a perfect flashlight. It wouldn't have the donut hole and would emit a more focused beam.

Latest posts