New lights, first impressions

Websniper

Newly Enlightened
Today I received several new lights and accessories:

Preon 2 Neutral (also ordered a single AAA tube from 4Sevens directly)

4Sevens Quark AA2 Neutral

Fenix LD25 Neutral (allegedly)

This is my first Preon of any sort. I've been EDC'ing a Maratac AAA, which has been great, but I often find I wanted a clicky when I'm up a ladder with my hands full of parts or tools, and that I wanted a more neutral tint for better color rendition (I work on PC's, and find it difficult to determine colors of wires with the cool white lights at times).

That being said, I'm slightly disappointed about the function of the clicky on the Preon. I know that it's a reverse clicky, but it's the first that I've had, and even so I find the switch smushy and at times temperamental. The cap to the switch on my preon was pretty loose out of the package, so I tightened it up just by hand. When the bezel (again, on the switch) was screwed down hand-tight, it was almost impossible to get the light to "click" on. However, I find the neutral tint VERY pleasing, albeit a little on the cool side. Compared to the Maratac, the color is great. I would probably prefer it to be more warm, but color rendition wise, and not a hint of green:twothumbs. I'm going to play with the light for EDC as is, but I also ordered a Preon 1 tube for it. Depending on how things go with the clicky, I may even just get a plain tail cap and turn it into a twisty....

My impressions of the Quark AA2 were that the build quality seems a little less than some other lights I've owned. Mine has the odd ding here and there, and a few odd discolored areas. Also, threading doesn't seem really smooth.

I did have some issues getting the light to turn on. After inserting a fresh set of AA alkaline's (all that I had on-hand), the light would flicker briefly on rare occasion. I pulled the cap off and hastily cleaned some lube off of the threads on the body and cap. After doing so, the light began working... I'm really digging the UI, and again, I will not pretty much ONLY buy neutral tints, even though these Quarks, for me, could use a little more warmth in the color range.

The Fenix is going to be a Christmas gift, but I had to try it out ;) The build seemed much better on this light, with far smoother threads than the Quark. I also love the hard plastic over-grip on this light. However, this light is supposed to be the neutral version, and it's even cooler than the agreed-upon fairly cool neutrals of the Quark series. I like the format of the light, but I'm not feeling the tint on this one.... However, since it's a gift, I'm not worried about it... I must say though, this should be a nice user friendly UI for non flashaholics.

Bear in mind that I haven't really used any of these lights much yet, this is just my initial impressions. Even after my brief play with them, I gotta say I do see more Quarks in my future...

davecroft

Enlightened
Thanks - not boring at all! Your findings are similar to mine with regards to the build quality of the Quarks. I had a Mini AA which was disappointing in a number of areas, inluding the anodising which was a bit too 'gloss black' for my taste and had several chips at the bottom of the head. It almost looked like a used light. I returned it and got an Olight i2 instead, a very similar light but without strobe modes and a lot cheaper.

In the UK 4Sevens flashlights seem relatively expensive compared to prices in the US and I really couldn't see why the Mini AA was around 75% more expensive than the Olight. At that price point Fenix seem to be better quality. Also I get a lot of lights from China / Hong Kong to save money, and there don't appear to be many dealers there who supply 4 Sevens gear.

However, I'm sure I just got a bad example - I read a lot of good stuff on the forum about 4Sevens so I am going to get a couple more of their lights in the new year. I just have to decide which ones!