My new...and first HDS Light!

CrazyIvan2011

Enlightened
I have previously posted about the fact that I have just recently bought an ArmyTek Predator light....and still wanted an HDS. After all the research, reviews and comments....I decided to 'pull the trigger' and order a HDS 200 Tactical Rotary (the last one in the UK by the sound of it).

Up until now, the Predator was the most expensive, by far, flashlight I had purchased. Wanting a HDS seemed nothing more than a pipe dream!

But I had recently been involved in a heavy career swap if you will. I had a lot riding on a couple of interviews I have done only last week, in regards to a big job/career move. To put it short...ive took a gamble that could change my life really...for the better and open some big doors in my future!

I had said to my wife basically....im going to be lavish, and a bit mad and just buy a HDS (she had bought me the Predator as an early Christmas presant)! I said to her, in superstition...as I was really nervous about my career move, and interview etc and what the outcome would be....im going to get one, as in my role I am aspiring/applying for, it would serve me very well. And the light, its represents honest hard work, effort and development. I said "im going to buy the light....KNOWING im going to get the new career, and it will always be a reminder that perseverance, determination and hard work pays off in the end... every time I use it!"

Well I got the news today...I have won over all the other candidates, and my job switch is now secured! I have been made a new offer, and I have accepted! I honestly could not be happier, and this now opens a whole new future for me! Its moving to a field I wanted...and the "worlds my oyster" as they say.

The best thing, I got home before, told the wife the good news....and what did she hand me....my new HDS in its packaging!
I opened it, and it was already the best light I have, before I even held it! It will now always hold a special place with me. I have to admit im not really superstitious, but to me this HDS has already served me well, before I have used it.:)

The feel of it, the weight of it is just superb. Im not even going to tackle the UI yet until I have time.

I just wondered if anyone else had any 'interesting' story's regarding their first, or continuing HDS/Ra light relationships? :rolleyes:

Took 2 quick pics just now any way...as I already love the light!

2011-12-06203408.jpg

2011-12-06203506.jpg

Sorry for the quality and position...just took it now with my phone...the packaging is still on my lap! But what a nice light to just hold in the hand! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Mgizler

Enlightened
Cool story. Glad you like your new HDS. I have had three all together and loved them all. Enjoy it. And realize that it wont be long before you want to buy another one. :)

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well CrazyIvan, our Rotary's are old drinking buddies. They traveled together as well as with a bunch of their other friends from HDS, then patiently waited for their new homes in ledfiretourches.co.uk's inventory! They both were the part of the last three Rotary's in-stock at the time when Rob picked this one to send to me!

Won't sell this Rotary since it returned to the States and of all things about a 150 miles from his origins at HDS!

Congrats on the new job!

Last edited:

Phil40000

Newly Enlightened
And I bought the 3rd one! Should be with me tomorrow...............

Roccomo

Enlightened
Crazy..congratulations on all your recent good fortune. HDS makes great lights. I have a Ra Twisty that sees carry time a few days a week.

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congratulations! I got my rotary as a birthday present from my family (only thing I wanted). Funny thing was I had to wait a couple months to get it (lights were preorder).... but it was worth the wait. I recommend putting a piece of paper containing your name, phone number, and email address in the battery tube. I do this with all of my lights, but I feel it is especially important for EDCs. That way, god forbid, if you ever lose it, it has a chance of getting back to you if someone finds it. I'm sure you will enjoy the light. If you get around to experimenting with the programming share your set up in this thread.

Last edited:

CrazyIvan2011

Enlightened
Thanks to all for the congrats.

Im going to play with the UI/programming tonight when I get home. Looked at the manual briefly, but seems a bit complex. But if I tackled the Predator UI, this should be easy.

Im glad I got one when I did from ledfire, as if I had waited a few days they would have been out of stock, and im guessing it will be a while before they get any back in stock? I f they were out of stock, I just would not have bothered, and would not have this wonderful new toy to play with :)

Im sure I will enjoy it more tonight when I start experimenting with the UI.

Thanks again all!

Quelalumieresoit

Newly Enlightened
Congratulations and good luck in your new projects!
Welcome to the HDS fan club...
I own three clickies that give great service...
The Twisty is on its way back to HDS under warranty. I hope they can fix it as it's discontinued...
I had the finger on the trigger for the Rotary on Rob's LEDFIRE website when it suddenly went away. I know where it is at present...

davyro

Enlightened
Yes Ivan you got the one i went to order on Monday i suspected as much,i'm really glad you got it as i already have one.They feel great in the hand i bet you don't want to
put it down.I'm going to get one ordered this week sometime from over in the U.S.It would have been easier to just get one from ledfire but i can wait .
The thing is mine needs more brothers & sisters beside it.These lights are going to end up costing me a small fortune.I do think the same will apply to you now you've
got one. happy new torch & enjoy.:devil:

CrazyIvan2011

Enlightened
Your right, had a good play with the Ui tonight...got it set up now I think. Switched on some options, changed some levels....and it's perfect now!

I love using it, it's fairly easy once practiced. And your right....I don't want to put it down, just like 'fiddling' with it :)

And yeah, I can see me getting another one in the future!
I really hope you get hold of one soon davyro!

davyro

Enlightened
Your right, had a good play with the Ui tonight...got it set up now I think. Switched on some options, changed some levels....and it's perfect now!

I love using it, it's fairly easy once practiced. And your right....I don't want to put it down, just like 'fiddling' with it :)

And yeah, I can see me getting another one in the future!
I really hope you get hold of one soon davyro!

Haha i got a 170T today a lot sooner than i even thought,one came up on the internet that is unused with a spare battery tube at a really good
price so i pulled the trigger on it,so i should have it by mon/tues.The only downside is i still want the same rotary as you've got though,i've
saved quite a bit money on getting the 170T so i'm half way there for the R1B-200.

CrazyIvan2011

Enlightened
Nice. I would love to see some pics of the 170T. Flush or Raised button? I think thats what I am after.

Its strange, the Rotary is perfect for me...I was always a big fan of the nitcore ramping...well ramping in general, but the Rotary is just something else! I could not imagine a better set-up for myself. And its so easy to use!

But I still fancy a 170 clicky! Just realised, the 'T' in 170 is the tactical version isnt it...i.e. rasied button? :confused:
Dont know why I want one, just think a clicky would be great to!

Think you were right...im on a downward hill now to being addicted! Still what a product to be addicted to! :twothumbs

Phil40000

Newly Enlightened
170T lights are fantastic also, i have pimped mine up with some HDS goodies such as titanium bezel and the expensive sapphire glass. It also has an oveready/moodoo clip and both raised and flush tailcaps. At first i questioned why i had ordered a rotary as well but when the rotary came yesterday i quickly found out that it is a fine light in its own right and is set up to excell at different tasks than the tactical light.

I am struggling a bit with programming my HDS lights though, i never really messed with the 170T as the standard 'tactical' settings were so practical to start off with. I had a blast at trying to get into the programming mode last night with da rotary but i am struggling with getting my head round it. Is there a dummies guide to setting up HDS lights? (no wisecracks about the instructions supplied being the dummies guide please!)

Just to confirm to the people who are now wanting the tactical after getting the rotary light, they both suit different needs and i have not thought once that one is better than the other etc.

CrazyIvan2011

Enlightened
170T lights are fantastic also, i have pimped mine up with some HDS goodies such as titanium bezel and the expensive sapphire glass. It also has an oveready/moodoo clip and both raised and flush tailcaps. At first i questioned why i had ordered a rotary as well but when the rotary came yesterday i quickly found out that it is a fine light in its own right and is set up to excell at different tasks than the tactical light.

I am struggling a bit with programming my HDS lights though, i never really messed with the 170T as the standard 'tactical' settings were so practical to start off with. I had a blast at trying to get into the programming mode last night with da rotary but i am struggling with getting my head round it. Is there a dummies guide to setting up HDS lights? (no wisecracks about the instructions supplied being the dummies guide please!)

Just to confirm to the people who are now wanting the tactical after getting the rotary light, they both suit different needs and i have not thought once that one is better than the other etc.

I would love a 170, just so I could have a nice clip with it! Yours sounds superb! I am going to take some, or try take some good shots of my 200 rotary on Saturday (im tied up tomorrow), and thought about a video? I have not found any for programming the HDS lights? There are a few for the ArmyTek Predator, which I needed to help me....but after tackling that...the HDS was easy! I may try and make one, as I feel happy with my rotary already!

davyro

Enlightened
Nice. I would love to see some pics of the 170T. Flush or Raised button? I think thats what I am after.

Its strange, the Rotary is perfect for me...I was always a big fan of the nitcore ramping...well ramping in general, but the Rotary is just something else! I could not imagine a better set-up for myself. And its so easy to use!

But I still fancy a 170 clicky! Just realised, the 'T' in 170 is the tactical version isnt it...i.e. rasied button? :confused:
Dont know why I want one, just think a clicky would be great to!

Think you were right...im on a downward hill now to being addicted! Still what a product to be addicted to! :twothumbs

The 170T i've just bought has a spare battery tube & switch so i can have either flush or raised,it's got a clip as well,i'm not really one for the clips but
i'll give it a go,i just can't wait for it to get here now.If i can get any decent pictures of my growing collection i'll post them so you can have a look.By
the way i'm glad your loving your new rotary.It sounds like you love the UI of it as much as i do.:grin2: