Diffuser Lens - Does it cause excess heat build up inside the host or drop in?

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a question regarding the diffuser replacement glass lens. Specifically: solarforce-sales.com/product_detail.php?t=FA&s=27&id=91
Seeing that the diffuser is cloudy looking and not clear, does it cause any excess heat build up inside the host or the drop in? I assume that it does, but just wanted to check to see if anyone had first hand knowledge. Thank you.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a SolarForce light with a frosted lens. I've never noticed any heat difference, but I don't use very often. I use it when I am looking for things I lost.

kreisler

Banned
if there was CONSIDERABLE heat build up behind the lens (i.e. in the reflector room), solarforce wouldnt promote this product, dont you think?

as you imagined correctly, yes the temperature of the reflector room (or the head as entity) will be higher due to the reflecting rays, that's simple physics (check the textbook by Michael F. Modest, Academic Press, 2003). but we can assume that it is not CONSIDERABLE. otherwise solarforce, eagletac, zebralight, .. wouldnt sell frosted lenses.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
if there was CONSIDERABLE heat build up behind the lens (i.e. in the reflector room), solarforce wouldnt promote this product, dont you think?

Well, I don't know, that is why I asked. I was looking for members here that have first hand knowledge of using a flashlight with a diffusing lens affixed to it, not any lessons from a science or physics book. Thank you for the response.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I have used diffused lens with LED lights and have not noticed any differences regarding heat management. I have compared light output using bounce with a light meter and have not recorded any differences in output due to heat compared to the same light with no diffused lens.

kreisler, your post was very condescending, and rude.

Bill

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I diffuse all of my flashlights except for dedicated throwers and I've not noticed any difference.

Most of the heat with an LED is at the junction (behind) the LED rather than our front as with a bulb. Most diffusing material is efficient (or we wouldn't use it) so most of the light is being transmitted. So the only difference would be that small percentage that isn't being transmitted and that shouldn't (and doesn't appear to) be a problem.

It hasn't been a problem in my usage anyway.

Last edited:

kreisler

Banned
i actually possess a full collection of diffusers tips (Xeno, Fenix (various!)) and also a diffuser lens by EagleTac. i havent noticed any CONSIDERABLE additional heat build up in the head or behind the lens.

if i possessed, too, a digital laser thermometer i would be able to measure the temperature difference (since there is one, due to physics) and i would take a photo with a digicam (which i dont possess either lol) to prove it, or a video.

the whole point is, as brian said, it is not considerable. so no fears when using a diffuser lens!

Last edited:

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thank everyone for the excellent explanations to my question. It was just something that I was curious about. I now know that I have nothing to worry about. :thumbsup:

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Olight diffuser has the frosted side on the inside.

This being the first surface the light hits would, I guess, improve the scattering.

It also means you can easily clean the outer lens, rather than just work the dirt into the frosted surface.

In output tests I have carried out with an integrating sphere and glass frosted diffusers, the output was reduced by up to 20%. This would mean some extra heat in the head, but not much compared to the power being dissipated by the LED.

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will soon have a small diffusor lens for my Varapower Turbo v2 which produces more heat than 99% of the led lights normally used here. It's extremely focused at up to 200.000lux and 40W so it should be a useful test. I ordered a ucl lens with light-diffusion-coating from flashlens for the light's small head (52,1 mag head).