Super Duper Stupid Flashlight Usage Question.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I read posts from various people. I am starting to think that I select the light I want to use a little different than most of you. But then again, I could be wrong.

I use different lights when I am at home, in the car, or on my person.

I often here from people thet this or that is more compact. And I think to myself "well, is this for home use, car use, or EDC". Lies like this lead me to believe that people use the same lights where ever they may be.

I try on only use my EDC stuff when I am away from home or away from the car. In the car it is very easy to stay off the EDC stuff since there is quite a varity of lights for each purpose within reach and in the trunk. At home I try to the do same thing but every once in awhile I do cheat. I have on occation used my EDC at home but I really try not to. This has the added benefit of keeping my EDC fresh.

OK.....am I different or the same as most of you out here???

jtice

Flashaholic
I think I use my lights like you Jon.
I have a SL PP 4AA led light on the stand next to my bad, for home use, power outages and such.

I EDC a Arc LSH-P and AAA.

I use a PT Tec40 for when I want some good throw.

I use Arc AAA for map reading and such on hikes.

Each light serves a special purpose. Its very hard to find a light that will be good for everything.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
As do I. In fact, I have set categories for lights, and beyond them, I don't collect more lights. When I see one that meets my needs and criteria better than the one I am using, I replace the existing one with the new. I don't like unused lights gathering dust on a shelf; I like to use all my lights as regularly as possible. Currently, I only have 8 lights!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
So far I have found two PERFECT lights for ME for two different uses...

The Energizer 2white 1red LED Headlight is the perfect headlight for me. VERY nice beam in white, nice red light. Does reading chores just peachy!

The (whatever name) Aluminum 3AA 3LED light I got at Tommy Tools in Houston is a perfect go to the can light or walk around the house or outside light. NICE output!

Still trying to find the best lights for some other uses...

Streamlight Twin Task lights are very near perfection....

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use my EDC as just that, It is the light that is on my person most of the day and therefore the first choice, I chose the most compact yet versatile simplistically powered and functional light I could find the Arc LSH-P. I carry a AAA as backup for emergency or for simple applications like navigation in the dark. All other flashlights that I own that are larger and more powerful or of limited usefulness are used on a more specific needs and availability basis. Some are just impractical like the L4, It is just so bright (embarrasingly so in a public venue) and gets way too hot, too fast to be much more than a limited use light to me. It travels in my bag for that once in a lifetime possibility that I will NEED that much light.

TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

RevDavid

Enlightened
My EDC stays clipped in my beltlop, but it is not my brightest light, is not my only light, though it is probably my favorite. I carry the TW4, and like it a lot.

At other times, I carry the L4, E2E, and others. There is always a Photon II red on my keychain. I have a drawer full of cheap AA lights for the kids if we lose power. Lights in the garage, the cars, tackle boxes and tool boxes mostly round out the assortment.

David <><

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting concept,
My kechain EDC is the Micro Illuminator and it gets used the most. My Stoplight 2AA BB500 R2H with Fraen low profile optics is on my belt for throw and blinding output. Together they can cover all the bases I need for day-to-day use.
The Mag 2D MM+ R2H and BB500 R2H Fraen LP Brinkmann 2AA are my bicycle lights and get used every day now that it is flashlight...err the darker time of the year. Mini-LGI with a McFlood sits on my bench at work for it's bright flood beam to check curcuits etc.
The Anglelux is the family flashlight in that they always grab it for looking around or camping. Nice large light so it does not get lost. The BB400 Q3L lights are used for my wife's recumbent bicycle and the other as a car light. The three lights my family uses does smooth things over for the 5 I use day-to-day.

BF Hammer

Enlightened
My EDC lights are typically my first choice. That's kind of why they are EDC, isn't it?

I don't keep much for lights in my truck, just a spotlight that powers from the cigarette lighter and a Nightstar II for extreme emergency use. In the past all my lights kept in various vehicles were ruined eventually due to leaking batteries, so I don't keep lights with batteries in my truck anymore.

In the home, I have an old 3D Mag that I updated with an Epieon LED bulb, so that's the long-run-time emergency light there. I also have an old Mini-Mag with Opalec conversion I keep with my tools. By my bed is an Energizer 2 LED folding lantern that works great for not hurting the eyes in the middle of the night, and an ancient metal 2C flashlight with a red filter installed by me for walking around in the dark of night without killing my night vision. I think I've had this flashlight for over 25 years now.

My Arc LSH-S and Arc AAA lights that I EDC wind up doing the most work. It's a small collection, but most of my lights have found a job of some sort to perform. I tend to think of what I want to use a specific flashlight for before buying it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif