DBS V3 waterproof?

twdant

Newly Enlightened
Hey all,

I've seen all the advertisements about the V3 being IPX-8 rated, but looking at the light's components, namely the lens and tailswitch seals, I'm a little leery of it's true waterproof potential. I do a good bit of freediving in the summer, down to 30 feet or so, for a few hours at a time. In the past, I've used a Surefire without any problem, but I like my DBS and would like to take it. Has anyone ever taken their DBS down to 30 feet? If so, was it actually waterproof?

Thanks for the help!

mbreckner

Newly Enlightened
Do NOT try it! it is not a dedicated diving light and you will most likely flood the light. I can't believe your surefire has worked.

DM51

Flashaholic
To repeat what I've said many times before:

Please do yourself a favor and forget the IPxx ratings - they are meaningless BS. They are tests conducted under static conditions and are therefore completely artificial. They cease to have any relevance whenever dynamic factors are introduced, such as when a light is moved or operated under water.

There is only one way to be certain that a light will survive being operated underwater: use a dive light.

Photonrunner

Newly Enlightened
30 feet?! Pls use a dive light, and a very good one. (not going to be cheap at all)
The dive light I recommended above is only 62 bucks and good quality. Rated for 100m has a 5mm thick glass lens and is built like a tank.

bkumanski

Enlightened
If price isn't really your concern, Wiseled makes a great light that works well diving too. I have the Tactical 2000, but in retrospect, the smaller one would have been a better choice to clip to my BC vest.