Fenix Outfitters        

Thread: DBS V3 waterproof?

Default DBS V3 waterproof?

Hey all,

I've seen all the advertisements about the V3 being IPX-8 rated, but looking at the light's components, namely the lens and tailswitch seals, I'm a little leery of it's true waterproof potential. I do a good bit of freediving in the summer, down to 30 feet or so, for a few hours at a time. In the past, I've used a Surefire without any problem, but I like my DBS and would like to take it. Has anyone ever taken their DBS down to 30 feet? If so, was it actually waterproof?

Thanks for the help!

Default Re: DBS V3 waterproof?

Do NOT try it! it is not a dedicated diving light and you will most likely flood the light. I can't believe your surefire has worked.

You might want to look at XTar D01 for a dive light.
    I got it as a regular light and am very happy good through and nice level adjustment.
    Also you can get Selfbuilts take on the light here
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...RISON-and-more!

Super Moderator

To repeat what I've said many times before:

Quote Originally Posted by DM51 View Post
    Please do yourself a favor and forget the IPxx ratings - they are meaningless BS. They are tests conducted under static conditions and are therefore completely artificial. They cease to have any relevance whenever dynamic factors are introduced, such as when a light is moved or operated under water.

There is only one way to be certain that a light will survive being operated underwater: use a dive light.
    Resistance is futile...

Flashaholic*

30 feet?! Pls use a dive light, and a very good one. (not going to be cheap at all)

Quote Originally Posted by 2100 View Post
    30 feet?! Pls use a dive light, and a very good one. (not going to be cheap at all)
    The dive light I recommended above is only 62 bucks and good quality. Rated for 100m has a 5mm thick glass lens and is built like a tank.

Flashaholic

If price isn't really your concern, Wiseled makes a great light that works well diving too. I have the Tactical 2000, but in retrospect, the smaller one would have been a better choice to clip to my BC vest.