Do you have to lube a brand new flashlight?

Do you lube a brand new flashlight?

• Lube...what's that?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

cummins4x4

Enlightened
Until I found CPF I had never even heard of lubing threads on a light. Now the first thing I do is take it apart, most of them have been fine new, ones I have had for a while all got stripped and lubed..;)

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always check and many lights are dry when new. I have most or all of the excellent lubricants from the sticky. They are all good!

swan

Banned
I always do, what ive noticed is the manufacturers put the orings on dry and then put lube on top. As you screw on your tail cap the oring rolls many times until the cap is tight, so if its not removed and lubed between your fingers, damage by friction can occur. Same for your twist heads- this will keep your light smooth and waterproof.

CheepSteal

Enlightened
I'll usually always disassemble a new light and clean it with a brush and alcohol and dry it, then lube it with Nyogel. I try to keep everything universal, especially when the parts are interchangeable and modular ala 4sevens, Surefire lights.

yifu

Enlightened
Yes, i find the better lubes (Nyogel, Krytox) give smoother action than the stock ones (which are motor oil derivatives on most lights) so i just clean the threads and apply krytox.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some brand new lights I've received have no lube at all. Other times I simply disagree with the type of lube being used and start from a clean slate.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
I generally use mine a bit, then re lube it.

Most of my lights have been pretty good from the factory, but I do tend to buy good lights.

I did clean and relube my Sunwayman V10R TI though - it was a bit dry and still had a bit of swarf in the threads

Status
Not open for further replies.