OSRAM Mini Combi modification

mervin82

Newly Enlightened
A few weeks ago while sorting out my room, I've found my old OSRAM Mini combi, but sadly, with the fluorescent tube broken and the halogen bulb missing..It was a good flashlight, with both floodlight and a halogen spotlight.
The original flashlight looks like this:

(Picture from OSRAM website)

Being in a LED torch community, I've decided to modify the flashlight, with the fluorescent tube replaced by a 3W strip LED and the halogen bulb powered by another Luxeon Rebel drop-in I've made

The torch was originally powered by 2x 1.5v batteries, with made the strip LED seems under-powered, and the battery drains out faster. So I've added a maxim 738 circuit. The battery output becomes 5V, and the circuit fits the torch nicely too! Then I secured the PCB to the torch with clear epoxy.

I've also added a magnifying lens (salvaged from other illumination equipment in my workplace..) by cutting a circular hole on the plastic front cover and securing the lens with clear epoxy.

And the results:

The spotlight:

The new floodlight:

That's all folks! Thanks for viewing my post!

sunny_nites

Enlightened
That is awesome!

I actually have a light very similar to that from Radioshack but without the halogen bulb. The florescent still works in this one though. Great idea for an upgrade when it finally gives out!