Update on new BD Spot

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinatok

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I have two older BD Spot headlamps that I was always extremely satisfied with though one of the headbands is pretty stretched. I know these had some mechanical problems but the main beam focus and uniformity was outstanding. I bought a new Spot and immediately noticed a dark hole, or lack of light, in the center of the main beam. While the headlamp does seem bright the main beam seems more unfocused and scattered. IMO, a lack of light uniformity, no matter what the focus or shaping of the beam, is indicative of poor optical practice. Jst to be sure, I went to the store and checked out another Spot and it exhibits the same "dark hole". I also noticed the BD Storm beam integrity is like my old Spots. BD has advertised the new Spot with different light profile but lack of light uniformity is pure negligence on their part.
It would be interesting to know what folks see with their newer Spots.
I've sent them a letter pointing out the flaw. I've been to Petzl's website and read all the tutorials on the design and development of their lamps and I am impressed. I'll hang on to my old Spots but next light will be the Tikka XP.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Closing this. OP acknowledges he posted in the wrong forum, and is now posting in Headlamps.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.