Where to buy PTFE (teflon, high-temp) wire?

netprince

Enlightened
I am almost completely out of PTFE (teflon) wire, and since mudmancj doesn't sell it anymore, I'm wondering if anyone has a suggestion where I can get it at a decent price? I also prefer to pay with paypal wherever possible...

Thanks!

Last edited:

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a guy over at evilbay, Johnswireshop
All sizes and all colors

Al Combs

Enlightened
What AWG do you recommend for lights?
Here is a good reference for gauge of wire required for a given amount of current. Use the column for chassis wiring. Try to get 19 strand wire if possible. Teflon wire is pretty stiff anyway. But 7 strand is MUCH stiff than the same gauge in 19 strand.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Silicone jacketed wire is also good. That's the type of wire (Silitherm) used in the well-known Kiu high temp incandescent socket. In heavy gauges such as 12 gauge, the Deans "noodle wire" is extremely flexible (like a wet noodle).

The Sandwich Shoppe has 26 ga silicone wire with 66 strands, and 14 ga with 168 strands.

Tower Hobbies, among others, has Deans noodle wire. Hobby King sells silicone wire in many different gauges. No doubt, all of the RC hobby outfits carry high temp wire.

CKOD

Enlightened
Here is a good reference for gauge of wire required for a given amount of current. Use the column for chassis wiring. Try to get 19 strand wire if possible. Teflon wire is pretty stiff anyway. But 7 strand is MUCH stiff than the same gauge in 19 strand.

+1 to mind your strand count. 7 strand is quite stiff and hard to work at times.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Deans 12 gauge noodle wire has 1660 strands and is as flexible as a wet noodle.

Flucero28

Enlightened
Just thought I would share with you my favorite wire. I like Teflon wire, but have found some very high quality silicone wire that's very flexible with thick insulation that resists heat as well as Teflon. Its 26 gauge and can handle 5 to 6 amps. The sellers description as a mini welding cable describes its flexibility very well, but to me its like like spaghetti noodles!

I get it from here:

http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/best-deal-26-gauge-silicone-insulated-wire-heatshrink-62137.html

Good pricing and really is the best quality I have found so far. Jeff also ships quickly and offers flux and heatshrink. Give it a try, you wont be disappointed.