Any ASP Baton users?

Bill.H

Enlightened
I'm not one, however, I ran across this product and thought ASP users might be interested so I'm passing on this info. It's a coin-cell LED light that replaces the cap on the base of an ASP baton. (they do say it is not an ASP product)
Click Here for pics and price

Tomas

Banned
Considering how hard I've sometimes had to smack the butt of the ASP into a solid subject to 'unlock' the extended baton (especially when it has been extended, uh, "too smartly"), I'm not certain the light would survive - in fact I've been amazed even the solid aluminum cap has survived. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif

Chengiz

Enlightened
Come straight down on the tip. Don't worry about crunching op the tip. It is as sturdy if not more than the cap.

Asp used to sell a flashlight to replace the cap, it was as long as a SFG2. I didn't get one because it sits high enough on the equipment as is.

The defense reasons for it are sound, while contacting someone at the car window and things go south you already have an ASP in the deployment and strike position. At the time it just didn't seem to have as much throw as a Maglite Rechargable. Now I use a Streamlight Ultra Stinger. It provides some of the defense capabilities of the Asp but not as cumbersome as aMag.

The new light looks better, didn't look long enough to see if it was a 5W LED /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use the Manadnock Auto-Lock. Has a push button on the tail cap that allows you to collapse it with the palm of your hand. You can also deploy it by grabbing the tip and pullin gon it until it locks into place. Uses a ball detent gizmo inside to work this way. Has one or two minor draw backs, but every design does whether friction or auto lock.
I just wanted the option of being able to open it without having to flick it out. Some situations might call for being discreet and it looks less menacing/antagonistic when deploying.
Plus I didn't want to be like those I've seen beating their's into the ground several times trying to close it.

Those lights have been around for a few years. There are other tailcap accesories that are kinda cool too.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Six ounces is heavier than almost any 2x123 light and gives you 3 Nichias in return? The Asp Taclite is the natural handle for the ASP baton and is one of the three brightest 2x123 lights and has been used to great effect by law enforcement for years. It may be the light Chengiz was referring to, and I can't say if it has been in wide use but at least one professional member of CPF (KT) has used it.

[ QUOTE ]
Webley said:...Plus I didn't want to be like those I've seen beating their's into the ground several times trying to close it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The trick is to hit it squarely against a hard, unyielding, non-resiliant surface and it will close easily

Brightnorm

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
brightnorm said:

The trick is to hit it squarely against a hard, unyielding, non-resiliant surface and it will close easily

Brightnorm

[/ QUOTE ]

Apples and oranges. They tell the same thing to everyone who takes the class but I still see it happening. Doesn't make one model better than the other, just means there are different options to choose from.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I almost never had to hit the steel model more than once to get it closed. The trick I learned was to hold the baton loosely. If you grip it tightly, it takes a few tries. If you hold it just tightly enought to keep it from flying out of your hand, it closes much easier. The Airweight versions are a little different though, especially the black ones. Aluminum locks so much more tightly than steel, or even the chromed Airweights.

But, I too much prefer the Autolock. Especially the 26 inch with the Power Safety Tip.