Need ideas for too blue KL1

AlphaTea

Enlightened
I have a KL1 that I have been mostly happy with. Had it for several months now. I use it mainly on my E1E, sometimes on a E2E.
That is, I was happy until I got my L4. I wasnt until then that I realized that my KL1 has a blue tint to it, almost violet.
Now what do I do?
I dont think it would be fair to send it back. Even though it shows absolutely no signs of use or wear, I have carried it for a few months now.
I could put it on B/S/T...
Next possibility is to upgrade/mod it.
I have read some horror stories about taking these things apart. How hard is it to gut a KL1, without destroying it? I know my way around a soldering station and have all of the current electronics catalogs in publication at my disposal. I have parts out the wazoo. (really!)
Im not afraid to try a mod once I get the darn thing apart.
Then, what to put in it? I have a P3L, a R2K, and I just pre-ordered a few of the 3 watt LS's from Wayne at electrolumens. Maybe I should try something else?
Gimme some input.

robk

Enlightened
It's not too difficult to take apart. You need to apply a bit of heat, I use a torch, others use a heat gun. A strap wrench is ideal, but I have used a Sears Robogrip with the soft plastic covers. Just heat it a bit with the hex piece in a vise (protected with soft jaws or cardboard), and try to unscrew the bezel off. If unsucessful, use a little more heat, being careful. The ones I have taken apart have absolutely no marks, scars or scratches. The secret seems to be the right heat, applied evenly to the threaded area. Once it's apart, you can remove the emitter on it's round heat sink and replace it with a "star" mounted Emitter. You will have to file it down a little bit to fit, be sure to take it down evenly all around to make sure it's centered. I've done a few with Q3J (HD) stars, and the difference is quite noticable, brighter, whiter and a better throw.
Good Luck!
Rob

yclo

Flashaholic*
Bewarned there are three sections that can come apart, be sure to only take apart the bezel+middle section. If you take apart the middle+battery end section, you risk breaking wires off.

-YC

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alphatea,
There are a number of things that you can do to a KL1, but the one thing that will afford the biggest difference is replacing the low dome in there now, with a highdome. If you want more throw, you can replace the optic with a Fraen low profile optic. If you want flood, you can go with a McFlood reflector. The stock NX05 is the best all around though.

If you want it brighter, you could overdrive it to around 700mA, giving you approximately 50% more brightness. You could go to 1A and turn it into an LED torch/handwarmer.

larpaul20

Newly Enlightened
Wow Chop, I just learned more info in those two paragraphs than I've been able to extract from several hours of reviewing past posts on the KL1. You just connected all the dots for me as relates to the KL1. Now, please clear one thing up for me. What is meant by 1A. Thanks!

Alphatea,

I've made the very same observations about my KL1 after comparing to the L4. Now I've got to decide what I want in the KL1.

Is anyone performing these mods (for a fee of course)? I don't have the skills or equipment. If one was to start from scratch, what would be the best beginner project to "get your feet wet"?

larpaul

AlphaTea

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
larpaul20 said:
Wow Chop,... Now, please clear one thing up for me. What is meant by 1A. Thanks!
larpaul

[/ QUOTE ]

1A = one Amp = Overdriving the snot out of a LS! Woohoo!! I bet that baby is bright! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
[ QUOTE ]
larpaul20 said:
Is anyone performing these mods (for a fee of course)? I don't have the skills or equipment. If one was to start from scratch, what would be the best beginner project to "get your feet wet"?
larpaul

[/ QUOTE ]
I believe CHOP does the mods!!

Chop,
How are you increasing the amperage?

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, to clear things up and I'll use the current 1W craze, the Q3J's as an example. The Q flux LEDs are good for around 30-40 lumens when driven to spec which is 350mA. But doubling that doesn't get you twice as bright. Going to 700mA will get you about a %50 increase in brightness. It's definitely enough of a difference to see.

Going to 1A is pushing the envelope, although others have gone to 1.5A in bigger hosts with better ability to dissipate heat. Going to 1A will give you only a marginal increase in brightness while generating more heat, but it is brighter and the difference can be seen when comparing a 700mA light to a 1A light.

Overall though, 700mA is a good compromise among brightness, heat and runtime.

Overdriving does require surgery of sorts on the circuit board and involves decreasing the resistance of the sense resistors.

I do do mods; however, I saw that CM is selling complete KL1 heads overdriven to whatever you want and sporting a Q3J luxeon. His post is in the Modders B/S/T section.
For those that don't already own a KL1 or want another, this may be the way to go.

Atomic6

Flashlight Enthusiast
The KL1's are all kinda blue. They are fine like that and very usable. Better than greenies to my eye. I have learned to enjoy the different color flavors of the various lights. I try not to get too hung up on pure White. All the incans are very yellow compared to a White KL4. Doesn't mean they are bad. Right? JMHO

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Atomic6 is right. There are degrees of white. The only way to have a white light is to own only one that you consider to be white and do not compare it to any others.

AlphaTea

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Chop said:
<snip>...Overall though, 700mA is a good compromise among brightness, heat and runtime.

Overdriving does require surgery of sorts on the circuit board and involves decreasing the resistance of the sense resistors.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have decided that I will probably be putting a 3W LS in my KL1.
OkeeDokee then, what resistor(s) do I need to change to what value to run a 3W @ say 700mA or 1A ina a KL1?
For that matter what if I was to use a decent 1W LS? What resistors (and where are they) would need to be upgraded?
I have the ability and access to necessary parts and equipment, just have never done this before.
Hmmmm, I also have a KL3...