turboBB's EPIC Indoor Shots Pt1 (4Sevens - Jetbeam)

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
UPDATE 4/7: P60 capable hosts will now be found under the drop-in used and are listed in alphabetical order by their respective manufacturer. So for example, EDC+ X60L will now be found in this thread instead of in the host it was used and vice versa, DBS V2 was moved to pt 3 due to the UltraFire XM-L drop-in used.

=======
PART 1 (4Sevens - Jetbeam) - this thread
PART 2 (Klarus - Sunwayman)
PART 3 (SureFire - Zebralight)

=======

Hey guys, I recently upgraded my camera and have been away for a short while working on this massive indoors shots session. The new camera has a wider angle lens thus capturing more of the beam profile. It also has the ability to tweak the custom-white balacing (Blue, Magenta, Green, Amber) thus allowing me to attempt to reproduce as faithful an interpretation of what my eyes see as possible. While this can be done PP (post-processing), I don't always remember exactly what each beam's temperature was so being able to do this on the fly was a huge boon to the process. However, with that said, I'm still learning the in's/out's of the camera and may have over-compensated on the M axis a little for some pics so something to note if a particular shot has too much M hue. Another thing to keep in mind is that the door is an off-white, creamy color and not pure white.

As for the modes, where possible, I've captured all modes except those where it was so low as to not provide a meaningful exposure. For obvious reasons, I only did Max and Min for variable lights (but again only where the Min showed anything in the shot).

There may be shots that look pitch black but upon enlarging it, you can make out the beam even if just barely (at least on my monitor) so I've also embedded links to full size 1280 x 960 pics in case you want to do detailed comparos of the hotspot (this alone took a few hours and I'm pretty sure I caught all of them but do let me know if any links are broken).

=======
PART 1

Lights highlighted in blue indicate new bounce pics and ones in yellow are new as of 9/25. *Indicates mfg claimed ANSI value, last three columns are measurements taken/calcualted by me. Lights sorted in alphabetical order by mfg. All shots taken on a Panny FZ150 @ ISO-100, custom WB, f/2.8 and fixed shutter speeds of 1/8, 1/40 & 1/80. Distance to door is 5m (16.4ft) away. New as of 5/25: Bounce shots under same conditions but w/shutter speed @ 1/4 and light placed right above camera.
=======

4Sevens QMini 123 Ti
High

Med

Low

APEX 5T6 (review)
High

Med

Low

Crelant 7G5CS (review)
Max

Min

Crelant 7G9 (review)
High
8334617.jpg

Med

Low

Crelant V9-T6 (review)
High

Low

Dereelight DBS V2 (see UltraFire 3S XM-L drop-in)

EDC+ X60L drop-in (review)
High

Med

Low

eGear X-Flare Pro Focus Control 400 Headlamp
(review - unfinished)
High (flood)

High (spot)

Med (flood)

Med (spot)

Low (flood)

Low (spot)

Elektro Lumens Big Bruiser (review)

Fenix L0D-CE
High

Med

Low

Fenix LD10 Premium Q5
Turbo

High

Med

Low

Fenix TK21 (review)
Turbo

High

Med

Low

FoxFury Breakthrough BT2 (review coming)
High

f7518e3.jpg

Med

Low

FoxFury Breakthrough BT3 (review coming)
High

Med

Low

FoxFury Rook CheckMate (review)
High

Low

ICON Link
High

Low

IKEA Ljusa (given how quickly this light dims, I wound the light between each pic)

JETBeam RRT-0 XR-E R2
L5

L4

L3

L2

JETBeam TCR1
Max

JETBeam
TCR2
Max

=======
PART 1 (4Sevens - Jetbeam) - this thread
PART 2 (Klarus - Sunwayman)
PART 3 (SureFire - Zebralight)

Last edited:

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: turboBB's Nov '11 indoor shots (32 lights, multi-modes, 282 pics, 62MB, 'nuff sai

Thx guys!

Whew!, I'm finally done adding all pics and links for now. I've revised the links so that it goes to the main page where you can select the prev or next pic in the sequence. It also allows you to choose multiple sizes rather than just the fixed static 1280x960.

I'll be adding more lights (including headlamps) in the future.

Cheers,
Tim

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: turboBB's Nov '11 indoor shots (32 lights, multi-modes, 282 pics, 62MB, 'nuff sai

i've been looking for some solid V10A beamshots, thanks!

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: turboBB's Epic indoor shots (38 lights, multi-modes/bats, 333 pics, 'nuff said!!)

Happy new year all! I've added some new lights (in yellow) to each section.

@tobrien - you're welcome!

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: turboBB's Epic indoor shots (38 lights, multi-modes/bats, 333 pics, 'nuff said!!)

Niteye EYE-30 added.

OneBigDay

Enlightened
Re: turboBB's Epic indoor shots (39 lights, multi-modes/bats, 336 pics, 'nuff said!!)

Very well done. This is a lot more work than most will realize. The photography is just one aspect, but you have to keep organized, upload everything, capture links. You are a patient man. I appreciate threads like this that demonstrate the profile of the beams as much as some idea of total output compared to other lights.

Keep up the good work turboBB!

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: turboBB's Epic indoor shots (39 lights, multi-modes/bats, 336 pics, 'nuff said!!)

Thx guys!

@1bigday - indeed, this truly takes quite a bit of work so definitely appreciate feedback on whether this is useful and perhaps what you guys might like to see.

I was thinking of adding the Beam Intensity and calculated Beam Distance eventually as time allows. Maybe a celing bounce thread in similar vein?

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: turboBB's Epic indoor shots (40 lights, multi-modes/bats, 351 pics, 'nuff said!!)

• EYE-30 H, M, L levels added to Part 1
  • SF Kroma added to Part 2
Cheers,
Tim

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: turboBB's Epic indoor shots (40 lights, multi-modes/bats, 351 pics, 'nuff said!!)

Wow....Fantastic! Thanks for all of your hard work. Very Impressive

niteye001

Newly Enlightened

Fantastic beamshots,lot of work, thanks for turboBB.

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast

@woodrow & niteye001 - Thx!!

All, I've updated the charts to show the lux captured at 1m as well as the calculated max beam distance. I still have a bunch of lights to work through (although there are 3 that I either returned or sold). I also have the ceiling bounce measurements to do and hope to hit that up over the weekend.

All measurements conform to ANSI FL1 in that they were taken (on Extech HD450) between 30 seconds and 2 minutes after lights were first turned on.

Cheers,
Tim

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast

2 new lights added although I've yet to take lux measurements for these. More to come...

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
turboBB's EPIC Indoor Shots Pt 1 (4Sevens - Jetbeam)

All,

This thread has been getting a little too bulky so I've broken it into 3 parts since I intend to continue to add to each.

Elektro Lumens Big Bruiser & EDC+ X60L Drop-in added to this thread.

Cheers,
Tim

arcane

Newly Enlightened
Re: turboBB's EPIC Indoor Shots Pt 1 (4Sevens - Jetbeam)

thanks for all the work putting these beamshots together!
I'm looking forward to the EDC+ X60L review. I've been thinking about picking one up.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great Job!

Especially the lux@ 1 meter table, very useful. The Big bruiser is floodier than I thought,
if DX triple SMO reflector is used, it'll easily double the lux (stock triple lens has less throw), even with the reflector, it'll still be quite floddy, just th einherent limitations of triple.

Last edited: