##Help: looking for the brightest headlamp for $30

nonbox

Banned
I'm looking for the brightest headlamp for $30. There are so many choices. What do you recommend?

Are there any dual incandesant & led headlamps in this price range?

What is the best brand?

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought thew Pelican Headsup model 2640, $24.75 at Brightguy.

Light output is ok, I guess I'm spoiled by nearly perfect beams of SureFire so I wasn't all that happy with the incandescent beam. Not that it is bad, but it isn't as good.

This is a dual, Incandescent/3-LED Headlamp runs off 4AA's

specs say 66 Lumens Incandescent, 9 Lumens LEDs
runtime 3 hrs/ 50 hrs

Tiny bright spot in incandescent, too tight for me. Focusable but not as much as I would like. I would prefer more of a flood. But then that is me, I fine flood much more useful than spot.

I've got mine mounted on a hardhat.

GregR

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
A friend of mine's using a Petzl Duo, not sure about the prices for those though... Its Xenon and Led combo as well, and he uses it for his adventure races, etc., so I would say that it holds up pretty well.

Else if you don't need the dual functions, then I think the Petzl Tikka Plus or Zipka Plus are real nice and small to have around...

chumley

Enlightened
The PT Vortec is about the same brightness as a Tec-40. I got one at REI on sale for $25. I mostly use mine for yard work after dark. The hot spot is almost too bright for close up use, but the light has really good throw.

Spectre

Newly Enlightened
What about the Petzl Myo headlamps? I think they start at about $30 for the incadescent one. There are models with LEDs and Incadescent as well (MYO 3 and MYO 5). Brightguy sells petzl.

I have the Myo 5 model, and I am very happy with it. Quickbeams review of the MYO here

Another option is the streamlight Trident (incadescent & LED and costs about $30 - review.)

Streamlight also have the Septor (but it is LEDs only - review ) and the

If LEDS only are sufficient you might also want to consider the Petzl Tikka(+) or Zipka(+) models.
Take a look at quickbeams great reviews here.

Bjorn

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
i toyed with the myo at my local REI.

what was interesting, is that the incan adjusted smoothly from spot to flood--with no holes!

it seemed pretty darn bright, too. but i dont remember the price...

Bob

RazorMaxx

Newly Enlightened
I know it's a little over budget but I really like my Photon Fusion. Different light levels, long battery life and very comfortable to wear. I don't know how I got along without it camping. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have several headlamps (don't really use them all that much....really....).

I'd consider Electrolumen's Luxeon Star mod on the Rayovac (?)unit. Very nice (not perfect, but very nice) and $30 as I recall. 3 AAs. Think of it as a really short reactor III on your forehead.......

Doug Owen

doubleganger

Enlightened
I have two of the 8 led headlamps that are constantly on ebay.
edit: here They are plenty bright for normal stuff though they don't have much throw. They seem well made, very waterproof, and go for around $30 shipped. My experience is that short of a luxeon you need at least 8 leds to be useful in a headlight. For instance the matrix 3 led went back as soon as I could get it shipped. I have a Illuminator 4 led that I should have sent back for the same reason, not bright enough.

nonbox

Banned
Spectre, what is the construction like on the Petzl Myo headlamp? Are they fragile?

I'm leaning towards the Petzl Myo headlamp but what about the new Pelican & Princeton models. Are there any new models in the $30 range that are worth looking at?

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
PT Yukon has a very good long throwing beam, if that's what you're looking for. It also switches to 3 LEDs. Very solid construction. About $35. I'm suprised no one mentioned it. It's my current most used headlamp.

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree. I love my Septor. 7 LEDs on 3 AAAs.

Lux, where did you buy the Yukon? Isn't the Yukon the one with a 1 watt luxeon, and three 5mm LEDs?

Spectre

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
nonbox said:
Spectre, what is the construction like on the Petzl Myo headlamp? Are they fragile?

I'm leaning towards the Petzl Myo headlamp but what about the new Pelican & Princeton models. Are there any new models in the $30 range that are worth looking at?

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont have much experience regarding headlamps, but in my opinion the build quality of the myo is good, and I dont regard it as fragile. It is also comfortable to wear. When using it I actually dont use the incadescent part very much, I usually have the LEDs on all the time and turn on the incadescent part when I need more light. So I would recommend you to by a light with LEDs as well (but that is depending on your needs).
Anyone else have any comments regarding their experience with the Myo?

nonbox

Banned
Is the Streamlight Septor with "7 leds on" as bright as an incandescent headlamp?

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, it isn't. It's not as bright as my Streamlight 4AA LED. But, it is definitely bright enough for arm's length work. And 5mm LEDs throw about 30 ft. Beyond that, it's not very useful, unless it's totally dark.

But, there are different uses for headlamps, as well as flashlights. Some people need bright floods, or throw etc. For my uses, I need arm's length illumination, and the Septor really rocks in that regard.
It's inexpensive, dimable, small & light, and I can use rechargeables or alkalines in it.

I dig mine.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
shankus said:
I agree. I love my Septor. 7 LEDs on 3 AAAs.

Lux, where did you buy the Yukon? Isn't the Yukon the one with a 1 watt luxeon, and three 5mm LEDs?

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought mine at REI. It has an incandescent bulb (Surge-like in intensity, but narrower). They're supposed to come out with a version with a 1W LS, which according to another thread is due out at the end of this month. Both also switch to 3 5mm LEDs.