LEDs spied on New Walkway

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
More LEDs in general use now.

Went for a walk in King's Park today. That's the local nature reserve/central city park, like Central Park in Manhattan(?) or Stanley Park in Vancouver.

It's really beautiful and they have been doing some landscaping to make the main botanic area more sculpted/user friendly/pretty. In some of the new pathways, they put in some sunken lights, seen here..

I'll need to go back again some night to see what they look like all lit up. I grabbed those photos with one of the new camera phones, and it was raining too, so the pictures don't really look too good.

From what I can make out, there are 9 SMDs (of rather large size) on a disc. Actually, each SMD looks almost the size of a LS die. I'm going to have to go back with a ruler or something. It takes 24V and is made by OSRAM.

Anyone with more info?

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
By the sound of it those would be "spider" LED's, seen them in tail lights of the buses in town mainly, never had a chance to actually play with...erm...test..yes, that's what I mean, myself as yet.

Then again, having now got the pic to load (ISP being arkward), looks as though they're another type of higer output LED that was intorduced reasonably recently - exact specs I can't remember off the top of my head, sure that someone will chime in and complete that observation.

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
JJHitt: That looks like it.

It's a bit hard to intepret the data. It gives flux and mcd and 120deg viewing angle. How bright is it really? 380mcd seems really dim, but at 120deg viewing angle, it would really be very bright wouldn't it? The entire module appears to take 1.2W which makes power consumption equal to the 1W LS. And it talks about needing a good thermal connection too. I wonder how it really compares?

Why can't manufacturers stick to one standard of brightness measurement? I've got to go look up the conversion tables now... *grumble* /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif

Hemingray

Enlightened
Looks to be the same.... 24VDC power, so it should be about 50 mA per device, for 1.2W per unit.

Kewl.... What color are these?

/ed B in NH /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Hemingray

Enlightened
The high output MR-16 LED lights on www.superbrightleds.com look similar to these Osram LED assemblies. I bought one of the white LED units, this has 6 large SMT LEDs on a ceramic-lookng substrate, which is heatsinked to an aluminum reflector, and it also has a full wave bridge rectifier and regulator circuit built in the base.
It rusn from 9-15 V AC or DC (not polarity sensitive). I figured this would work well in an older "fat" 6D maglite that I've had for many years. These HO MR-16 lights have a fairly wide - about 60 degree -beam, rather than a tightly focused beam.
These consume about 360 mA at 12V. The emitted light is a nice clean snow white, no sickly urinous green or purple bruise colored "artifacts". These also come in blue and green, no red, amberorange, cyan, pink, violet, UV or IR yet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Update 10/27/03

I did a quick voltage / current test on the white MR16 unit.
It delivers constant brightness from 10.8V up to 15V (I didn't go higher). Max current is 500 mA, slides down to 400 mA @ 15 VDC. It works down below 9V, but with reduced brightness, which starts dimming below 10.8 VDC. The current draw is reduced below 10.8VDC.
This should work in the maglite 6D, with the PVC pipe 8 C mod.

/ed B in NH