Dual lights in tandem?

BillM

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys,
Got an obsvervation and a question for you. I have been doing a lot of scuba diving after dark. I was so impressed with my Tektite Expedition (3c, 1w Luxon) in the water that I got another for a backup. For the heck of it, I tied them together in tandem and ran them together underwater. At least to my eyes, those 2 lights running (beams came together about 12')in tandem seemed like I could see more than twice as well underwater. So, I did the same thing in my front yard (which is not underwater) and I felt the effect was similiar. Then I did it with my 2 LSH-P's and seemed to see a more than 2x improvement in my ability to see. In no case did it double my range of sight but seemed to make it far easier to see detail within the lights range. I remember, back when auto headlights went out more often, that with one headlight out, it always seemed I could see less than half as well.

Soooo.... in your experience, is this just my imagination (won't be the first time) or is there some science behind this? Thanks for your input.

Bill

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
With two lights that are not in the exact same position, even if they are only offset just a bit, as they would be when you lash them together, you get softer lighting, as the harsh shadows from a single point source are filled in a bit. You can see this even on the Newbeam, where the point sources are packed very tightly.

BTW, I don't think it's very wise to have your primary and backup lights physically connected. You dont want a backup just for redundancy in case of *failure* of the first light, you also need redundancy incase you drop the first light - and having your backup lashed to it instantly negates this redundancy.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think its just that with 2 lights, it lights up the target twice as bright, hence the ability to see details clearer. Range wouldn't change though, as both are the same type of lights and thus have the same limit.

As for auto headlights, I guess when your eyes are used to seeing something lit up at a certain level of brightness, it will always feel darker when the brightness drops, even by just a little. So even if you're driving on dim lights, you would be able to still see the road, maybe not as well or as far, only because our eyes have sorta adapted to the level of brightness there is...

Hmm.. am I making sense at all with all this rambling? Oh well, my 0.02 cents worth anyway...

I guess us flashaholics are all the same, when its dark, we strive to get something better to brighten it up, but when its bright, its never enough!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

jtice

Flashaholic
I think Tyler has a point.
Having the 2 seperate light sources in slightly different positions, softens some of the shadows.

Plus, when it comes to light, the human eye is kinda tricky. Twice as bright closes the eye up and makes what light is there, that much more prominate.

Another thing that might play tricks on you is the fact that you now have a much wider and even spread of light. This fills in any gaps and shadows that just one light source makes.

BillM

Newly Enlightened
Hi Tylerdurden,
You are quite correct on the backup light issue. Of course I did not tell you the rest. My dual lights (or any main light I have used) is clipped and lanyarded to my gear. That way I can drop and light and never loose it. The least that most divers will do is lanyard the main light to their wrist.

I also have this illness called flashaholicism that does not end at the waters edge. So, I EDC (every dive carry) 2 other lights and they are secured to my gear. Hey, this is just for a dive in the local quarry. You ought to see me on an open ocean night dive!

Thanks again for your input!

Bill