Xenon, Krypton bulbs

BT1324

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know how long the average xenon and krypton bulb lasts? Like the one on the Streamlight TT 3-aa?

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I, too, am curious what "averages" are. The range of lamp-life runs the extremes, from one SECOND to over 30 hours. Incandescent should be spelled: U-N-R-E-L-I-A-B-L-E !

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can expect bulb life to be on the order of 25 to 50 hours. I would assume this to be the low end of the average life expectancy. Bulbs can also be built for longer life but these will usually run dimmer or at lower color temperatures. Welch Allyn manufacture bulbs with life ratings from 10 hours to 10,000 hours. For garden variety flashlight bulbs, I'd guess your +/- 2 sigma is going to be between 10 and 75 hours.

I do take exception to the general comment about incandescents being unreliable. Selected and used correctly, they can easily last for the expected and required usage interval.

Wilkey

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have the same impression, ginseng.

i love and use my tec-40s a lot. 2 have xpr-113 (1600 lux at 1 meter), and 2 have kpr113 (~700lux). i know people like to use the 103's, but i hear they tend to flash early.

am i correct in assuming that the 113's will tend to last longer? so far, they seem to be!

Bob

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bob,

I don't have much experience with the 103. Although I do have an X3B3A which is 3.8V xenon for 3-cells and I like it quite a bit. It's been robust in my fireplace 3D Mag for quite some time now. I haven't found an XPr in my travels to The Shack. Where do you get yours?

Wilkey

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
i occasionally find them at radio shack--but not close to me. i found ONE at a store 30 miles from here.

heck, i even bought some in chicago last year! i think i have 1 or 2 spares. shoulda bought more.

Bob