Quark 123 turbo R5

bassdawg

Newly Enlightened
I was looking at this on 4 sevens site , its not the one with the x .
For $60 it seems a good deal so what do you think ?
How do the Quark lights compare to Jetbeam an Finnix ?
\Thanks
Bill

Tommygun45

Enlightened
Its a really good light. The anno on 4sevens stuff isnt the best and itll come off a bit more so than a surefire for instance, but the output is solid. Ive had it for over a year and still enjoy its use. Throws quite well. Got the Turbo X and sold it. Preferred the smaller size of this one, plus throw was comparable. A little more flood on the X version but the head is massive so its tough to carry in a pocket. Also the X has half the run times. You can also run 17670's in this if you take the label off but thats an entire other discussion. Be sure to use CPF8 coupon code to get 8 percent off.

davecroft

Enlightened
I don't have a whole lot of lights, so this is only my opinion based on what I do have - but my Quark Mini AA was not as nicely finished as my Jetbeam PA01 or any of my Fenix lights. I think the matt anodising of the Fenix looks really good compared to the glossy black of the Mini AA, and it seems tougher, but I know other folks prefer a shinier finish. The Mini's anodising just looks a bit like sprayed on gloss paint to me.

But its just cosmetics after all. As far as the actual function of the light, I don't think you will have any worries. I have read a lot of good stuff about the Quark 123 so I reckon it will be a decent buy.

Last edited:

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a very nice light, with an unusual combination of high output, good throw, and small size. The main disadvantage, which is related to the last point, is that it will not fit a standard protected 17670 rechargeable cell.

The Fenix TK12 is a considerably larger and heavier flashlight with similar output and throw to the Quark Turbo. But the Fenix will accommodate not only 17670, but also the larger 18650 protected cell.

bassdawg

Newly Enlightened
Hey thanks for the info ,i will be useing cr123 for batteries . I have a Fennix TK 15 which i really like so how will this light compare ? Thanks,
Bill

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
The only thing to watch for is that some XP-G R5 lights have a distinct greenish tint (but lots don't - it is often called the "tint lottery"). Personally I dislike greenish tints, but if tint doesn't worry you then just look at the specs and any reviews you can find on all the contenders.

Tommygun45

Enlightened
I am not sure if there is a link but its relatively simple. With AW 17670s they have a black seal. There is a white label on top of this all encompassing black seal that you can peel off of the black battery. The first time I attempted this I was mistaken and ripped the entire black seal off exposing the silver metal battery. That was not good. However this method works fine.

So to reiterate so you don't lose a battery. The black sealing wrap is one piece, and the white label with all of the words and information about the battery is another. You can peel this white label off. This will give the battery just what it needs in order to fit into the Quark. I have 3 different AW 17670s and all of them fit sans label. The good thing about the Quark is that both the head and the body come off so if it gets stuck in there at all you can just push it out. That is why this might not be such a great idea for say, a Surefire 6PX because the head can't come off. But with both my Turbo and Turbo X this method worked perfectly.

Also every once and a while there are 18650 body tubes available on the marketplace. They usually go for around $35 but can fetch a premium of up to $50.

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
I have lots of Quark lights, and some Fenix too. Quality seems about identical IMHO.

The Quark 'Turbo' is designed as a thrower, and the hotspot is well-defined, throws very nicely. If you want a compromise between throw and flood, I'd suggest the Fenix PD30 (uses 2 CR123) or the PD31 (can use 18650). Those are nice Fenix lights.

It's tough to decide, so I just buy them all, LOL.

Some of my lights. Good to compare sizes and such:

-