Sunwayman R20A beamshots

Swede74

Enlightened
I received a Sunwayman R20A a few days ago. I bought it as a Christmas gift, but I couldn't resist taking it out for a test run.:) I haven't seen much in terms of reviews or beamshots of this particular light, so I thought I should make a contribution.

The Sunwayman R20A runs on 2 AA batteries, and the Zebralight SC51 I use for comparison runs on a single AA battery. Both lights take alkaline or rechargeable batteries, and they both have the Cree XPG R5 diode.

I used a two year old cell phone camera, and they are my first beamshots, so please judge leniently.

*The medium setting on the Sunwayman, which is supposed to be 37 lumens, seems much brighter to me. My guess would be somewhere around 80-100 lumens, but I could be wrong.

Zebralight SC51 on highest low (2.5 lumens)
Sunwayman R20A on low (4 lumens)

Zebralight SC51 on highest med (30 lumens)
Sunwayman R20A on med (37 lumens)*

Zebralight SC51 on highest high (200 lumens)
Sunwayman R20A on high (180 lumens)

Plate with fruit, both lights on high.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/502/zebrasunlow.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/190/zebrasunmed.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/403/zebrasunhigh.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/64/zebrasunfruithigh.jpg/

Vesper

Enlightened
Thanks for these beamshots. I've been looking at the R20A also as a Christmas gift. Your review is very timely. Looks like a pretty nice beam.

Jay611j

Enlightened
Nice beamshots, thanks! This is a very nice light. I bought one only because it was a cyber Monday sale, but I was actually pleasantly surprised by both it's appearance and how bright it was.

Swede74

Enlightened
Jay611j, does your light too seem brighter on medium than the specified 37 lumen output?

sveqs

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the photos, I have been looking into this light myself, very attractive price point
looks like a good general purpose everyday light

Jay611j

Enlightened
Jay611j, does your light too seem brighter on medium than the specified 37 lumen output?
Yes it does, it seems almost the same output as high. No way it's 37 lumens. I put up a few beamshots of the levels. Hope you don't mind my addition to your thread:).

Not sure what the deal is with the different size photos, they are all the same size. I have resized them, yet they still aren't right. I have had so many problems with CPF lately, it's getting ridiculous.

IMG_2764.jpg
IMG_2770.jpg

IMG_2792.jpg
LOW
IMG_2793.jpg
MED
IMG_2794.jpg
HIGH

Swede74

Enlightened
Yes it does, it seems almost the same output as high. No way it's 37 lumens. I put up a few beamshots of the levels. Hope you don't mind my addition to your thread:).

I appreciate your addition :) and the information. Now I don't have to worry that I will be giving my dad a defective light for Christmas.

Harry999

Enlightened
Great beamshots there. The specs look great on this light. I might get one or two in the New Year once the Holiday mail rush has died down.

Just a quick question - does the stainless steel bezel screw out? The reason is that I am thinking of using Lee Filters to get a warmer tint for personal use at home. They work best with lights where you can fit the filter behind the bezel and in front of the lens.

Thanks in advance!

Jay611j

Enlightened
Great beamshots there. The specs look great on this light. I might get one or two in the New Year once the Holiday mail rush has died down.

Just a quick question - does the stainless steel bezel screw out? The reason is that I am thinking of using Lee Filters to get a warmer tint for personal use at home. They work best with lights where you can fit the filter behind the bezel and in front of the lens.

Thanks in advance!
It is a very good and simple light, and yes I just checked and easily unscrewed the bezel :thumbsup:.

Harry999

Enlightened
It is a very good and simple light, and yes I just checked and easily unscrewed the bezel :thumbsup:.

Excellent! Thanks for confirming that. I will definitely get a couple in the New Year.

Sent from my smart phone using Tapatalk

Harry999

Enlightened

Excellent! Thanks for confirming that. I will definitely get a couple in the New Year.

notsofast

Enlightened
I won a discount for this light, I think it is 25% to be used at Battery Junction. CPF Marketplace is down so I can't check to confirm the percent but I am 100% sure it is...I think. ;=) I am not going to use it.

First person calling dibs will get it.

Harry999

Enlightened
I won a discount for this light, I think it is 25% to be used at Battery Junction. CPF Marketplace is down so I can't check to confirm the percent but I am 100% sure it is...I think. ;=) I am not going to use it.

First person calling dibs will get it.

I am in UK so not sure I could take advantage of it what with International shipping and all, but good luck to the lucky person in the US who gets it.