Peak Vesuvius

torcher

Newly Enlightened
I've been liking the AAA size lights for many reasons lately but find them hard to hold onto because form factor
and cost make them good candidates for gifts to friends and family members. I decided to try the new Vesuvius
from Peak because I'm less prone to give that one away because of the knowledge one needs to operate it
properly . I sprang for the brass because thats all they had in stock and so far I'm pleased with it's performance,
it is able to illuminate very low due to the QTC and I find it's floody beam smooth and without artifacts . It can
be very bright but heats up way too fast for keeping it there long it all , I use it around the house at about 25%
brightness and thats plenty . It seems well built and the threads are nice but the momentary switch I got takes some getting used to with the QTC
, but the ramping from the head
is quite satisfactory and for a twisty it is great because of the variableness in brightness I can achieve.
Tint is neutral and pleasant , the brass is weighty but since it's my first Peak and only brass light it's a welcome
addition that I hopefully can hold onto for a while .

SANY0221.jpg

SANY0193.jpg

SANY0210.jpg

SANY0189.jpg

Last edited:

stoli67

Enlightened
I have the same light exactly.....

Nice light but heat is the killer issure here........ on high only for seconds at a time....

I think the brass is nice too. It is a collectors piece really (for me anyway) .... as you can't really use the increaseed power you probably would be better off just getting a regular one that can take all different battery types.

If it had a thermal shut off or ramped down as it got hotter then it may be more useful.......

Pontiaker

Enlightened
Someone needs to make this same light but with a clicky tailcap and a better engineered head, better reflector and aluminum with some better heat sinking into the alum head and body. I have a couple in a 123 size light and like them, slightly smaller body diam of a 10440 light would be cool. Still none of the Peak lights running a 10440 are brighter than either my Preon head or my Fenix head running a 10440 behind them(have not tried the Vesuvius yet though). Love the super high output 3A pocket lights. Have to have multi levels though...Will try and get the alum version of this light but they are sold out on the website, anyone have one to sell me?

Last edited:

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish regular AAA battery could power this, then I'd be all over it. rechargeables only makes me think twice about this pocket rocket

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like mine. It is easily controlled by twisting the head. Very low lumens to very high lumens. I've added to my EDC for the *wow* factor. It will take only 10440 batteries, IMR recommended.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Still none of the Peak lights running a 10440 are brighter than either my Preon head or my Fenix head running a 10440 behind them.

I highly doubt any Fenix that can handle a 10440 (do you mean Ld01?) is as bright than a Vesuvius

I put an IMR 10440 in both a fenix LD01 and Vesuvius, and the Fenix is pretty bright... but the Vesuvius
blows it away solidly and lights up my entire backyard. Fenix is feeble compared to Vesuvius

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like mine. It is easily controlled by twisting the head. Very low lumens to very high lumens. I've added to my EDC for the *wow* factor. It will take only 10440 batteries, IMR recommended.

agreed. it is a WOW light but is also 100% usable... and when you don't crank on it hard...in other words, you use
it as an EDC to see stuff...the battery lasts a very long time

Pontiaker

Enlightened
Yeah I screwed up, meant to say none of them I have seen but have not had a Vesuvius yet. Tried to buy one but they are out of stock, have not found one yet.

I really want to try one, looks and sounds great.

Guys that are worried about the 10440, the super scary problems you hear about are few and far between.Of course you need to use some common sense but after several years of using high quality chargers and batteries I have never had a problem. I use them a lot, I dont leave them charging over night or when I leave the house, etc... Again common sense stuff.

LD01 and the standard alum version, also the Preon heads both run on the Streamlight bodies to get the clicky switch and body shape I prefer. They work great, have three of the Fenix heads that have never been run on anything except the 10440 batteries, same with two different Preon heads. All several years old, in fact one of the Preon heads is probably one of the first 40 Preons made.