New Terralux triple XP-G Drop-in for Magcharger

tjhabak

Enlightened
Does anybody else out there have the new Terralux TLE310MR-EX for the Magcharger? When I heard that Terralux was coming out with these, I had to try one. I have to say, the beam is 100% better than the old 3x XR-E model. It has a nice bright, clean hotspot, with very little artifact in the considerable spill. It is nothing like the crazy, jagged beam of its predecessor. I really like it on high. This unit doesn't come as either a single or three mode. The new ones have a switch to select the option you want. My Magcharger has the new 3-mode electronic switch, and neither position on my drop-in switch seems to allow it to work right on the low mode in conjunction with the new Magcharger switch. I really don't care, though, because this thing is so nice on high. Anyone else have any thoughts/similar experiences?

my#1hobby

Enlightened
I was thinking about getting this one. Do you have the older drop in and if so, does this one seem brighter to you? Just wondering if it's worth the upgrade.

Stephen Wallace

Enlightened
Quite like my original TLE-300, other than the beam pattern, and the - for these days - fairly low output, particularly for a triple emitter design. XP-Gs, three modes and a cleaner beam pattern sounds like a big step forward from what I'm used to. I just need to wait for the standard D cell version to be released.

tjhabak

Enlightened
I was thinking about getting this one. Do you have the older drop in and if so, does this one seem brighter to you? Just wondering if it's worth the upgrade.

I do have the old one. It is definitely brighter, but I would say the real benefit is the beam pattern. It has a tighter hot spot, so it throws better, and brighter spill without the jaggy pattern present in the original. I really like it.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

tjhabak

Enlightened
Quite like my original TLE-300, other than the beam pattern, and the - for these days - fairly low output, particularly for a triple emitter design. XP-Gs, three modes and a cleaner beam pattern sounds like a big step forward from what I'm used to. I just need to wait for the standard D cell version to be released.

Yeah, I have the standard D cell version on order from Battery Junction. From talking to customer service, they're expecting them anyday. This should be a nice combo in a 3D Mag running on 4 NIMH C cells, or a 6V Magcharger battery.

my#1hobby

Enlightened
I do have the old one. It is definitely brighter, but I would say the real benefit is the beam pattern. It has a tighter hot spot, so it throws better, and brighter spill without the jaggy pattern present in the original. I really like it.

Good enough for me, just ordered one! :thumbsup: It's funny, when I first got the orig TLE-300 I was so blown away by how bright it was, now it just looks dim and purple to me after having my SC600 and TK35.

tjhabak

Enlightened
Good enough for me, just ordered one! :thumbsup: It's funny, when I first got the orig TLE-300 I was so blown away by how bright it was, now it just looks dim and purple to me after having my SC600 and TK35.

I'm right there with ya! It's amazing how fast this technology has moved in the last 5 or 6 years. I think you'll like the TLE 310. Can you believe we were ever happy with the original stock incans mags? I still remember how awesome I thought my first 3D mag was when I was 12 years old (I'm 37 now). It was the brightest thing at camp that summer. Be sure to post back once you've had time to check it out.

my#1hobby

Enlightened
I'm right there with ya! It's amazing how fast this technology has moved in the last 5 or 6 years. I think you'll like the TLE 310. Can you believe we were ever happy with the original stock incans mags? I still remember how awesome I thought my first 3D mag was when I was 12 years old (I'm 37 now). It was the brightest thing at camp that summer. Be sure to post back once you've had time to check it out.
It really is amazing, I agree. My first "high end" light was a :hahaha:6D Mag and I just couldn't stop showing that thing off, myself and my buddies just though it was the brightest and baddest thing around. Anyways, I will post back when I get my hands on my new toy!

BigMHoff

Newly Enlightened
I've had two of the Terralux single die led mag drop-ins fail, and a friend had one fail. I'm sticking to Malkoff. (Where I've never had a failure.)

Stephen Wallace

Enlightened
I have an old style TLE-6EX - the type that replaces both the bulb and the retaining collar. Not sure if this is the type that you are referring to. While mine has lasted, I have to say that heat sinking is pretty much non-existent. There is a blob is thermal grease under the LED, connecting it to the threaded part of the module that replaces the bulb retainer. However, when you screw the module in, this forces the LED up and away from the module's housing, breaking any contact between the thermal grease and the LED!

Basically, it's a poor design, but isn't necessarily representative of all Terralux products.

tjhabak

Enlightened
Well...I guess it'll be awhile for the standard D cell version. I just got an email from Battery Junction telling me the expected in-stock date for them is now Dec. 27 :( As for the difference between these and the single emitter Terralux drop-in, it's night and day. I had a couple TLE6 EXB's and they never failed me but once I became a full-fledged flashaholic, they just didn't cut the mustard. Especially with the stuff thats out there now. Comparing those to a Malkoff is like the difference between a Chevy Chevette and a Rolls Royce.

tjhabak

Enlightened
Well...I guess it'll be awhile for the standard D cell version. I just got an email from Battery Junction telling me the expected in-stock date for them is now Dec. 27 :( As for the difference between these and the single emitter Terralux drop-in, it's night and day. I had a couple TLE6 EXB's and they never failed me but once I became a full-fledged flashaholic, they just didn't cut the mustard. Especially with the stuff thats out there now. Comparing those to a Malkoff is like the difference between a Chevy Chevette and a Rolls Royce.

Good news! In a welcome but surprising turn of events, I just got a shipped notification for my 4-6D TLE310. Getting the 3D(4C) Mag ready to go! :)

HassanChop!

Newly Enlightened
I have been running the new Terralux drop-in in my older MagCharger for about two weeks now. I could not be happier! The three mode switch works like a champ. The output is a clean, bright white light. This drop-in along with a new 6V, 3500mAh NiMH battery stick from Battery Junction has brought my beloved MagCharger back to life in a BIG way!

my#1hobby

Enlightened
Be sure to post back once you've had time to check it out.

Well, I received the Terralux TLE310MR-EX for my Magcharger and it is amazing compared to my older TLE-300 drop in! I love the beam pattern as well, they did a much better job with this new model.

tenaciousj

Newly Enlightened
i am thinking of getting one of these drop ins for a magcharger. do i understand correctly that if someone were to twist the head (as if to adjust the focus of the beam) it will basically destroy the unit by shearing off the connecting pins?

tjhabak

Enlightened
I've turned the head on mine, and the head and bezel seem to rotate freely around the drop-in. There is a small post that contacts the lens, so unless something else catches, there doesn't seem to be enough to get the drop-in to rotate. If something would catch, I can see the pins being twisted and possibly, eventually sheared. This happened to me in a 2AA Smith & Wesson light with a Terralux Minimag drop-in. It seems like its not likely in the Magcharger, though.

Sent from my PC36100 us ing Tapatalk

my#1hobby

Enlightened
i am thinking of getting one of these drop ins for a magcharger. do i understand correctly that if someone were to twist the head (as if to adjust the focus of the beam) it will basically destroy the unit by shearing off the connecting pins?

The head on my Magcharger twist without any issues.

bruintennis

Newly Enlightened
This looks like a very cool upgrade. I have two MagChargers with the normal halogen bulb. I am not sure if I want to spend the money on the 310 upgrade yet. I'll keep reading this thread to see how it goes with you guys. Thanks.