Muyshondt Aeon Ti, one year later

fyrstormer

Banned
The Muyshondt Aeon doesn't really need any advertising, but since I like mine enough I bought a spare to keep in my fire safe, I thought I'd share some pictures of the new one next to the one I've been carrying for a year. It's been sharing a pocket with a steel multi-tool, a tiny pen, a Ti P51-clone can opener, steel tweezers, and whatever else I think to throw in that pocket. See if you can figure out which is which. ;)

CIMG5015a.png

CIMG5016a.png

CIMG5017a.png

Okay, so it's not impossible to tell, but the differences are really only in the details; no obvious signs of wear and tear after a year of banging around in a pocket full of steel.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
The one on the left has a bit of discoloration
It must be the one you have been carrying.

I love my TI Aeon, it's been around my neck for around 6 months, and it still looks like new (and is still on its first battery)

Mine has pretty discoloured brass bits, but the rest looks like new

nbp

Flashaholic
Left one also has a bit of rounding on the split ring attachment from abrasion.

I have an Al Aeon and it is my dress clothes buddy. So tiny but so effective. I have a gorgeous Al Ion on the way to accompany it right now. :eek:oo:

Foxfyre

Newly Enlightened
The close up pictures do give it away but I wager if you just held them side by side in your hand to show me I wouldn't be able to tell.

I carry an Aeon Ti neutral as a backup for my new HDS 170 clicky.

Thanks. Your pictures make me feel more confident about babying mine less.

Last edited:

helios123

Enlightened
I have two of them as well :) the Ti Warm is sometimes in my pocket (used to be an EDC) and now sits on my bedside table, the Ti Cool is just a safe queen (no plans to baby it, just no plans to use it yet)

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can only tell by looking at the uniform reflection of the light you used in the pictures. Can't really see anything to tell them apart physically, though. Nice real-world example!

fyrstormer

Banned
Yep, it's the one on the left. Like I said, hardly impossible to tell, but spotting the actual differences due to wear is kinda like one of those magazine puzzles where you have to find the little bits that are different between two pictures. There was one I actually didn't even notice myself until just now, even after looking at those pictures a couple dozen times before posting them: the surface of the knurling on the worn light no longer has the tiny circumferential grooves that reflect a bright stripe of light from the light souce I used, so the bright stripe gets interrupted where it crosses the bands of knurling.

The most significant wear marks to me are the little nicks and dents along the outer edge of the bezel ring, and (as nbp pointed out) the rounding-off of the sharp edges on the keyring attachment point. However, when I say "significant", by no means do I mean "problematic" -- if anything, these wear marks just add character to the light, as do similar markings on any other durable tool. In fact, whatever titanium alloy Muyshondt uses, it's the most steel-like Ti alloy I've seen, far more likely to round-off and self-polish than to accumulate nicks and scuffs like 6-4 titanium does. Perfect for long-term in-pocket carry. This one will be my backup light for a long time.

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic
Very nice! It bears out my own experience with my Ti Aeon (and Ti Ion before it). Almost impossible to tell it from new, and you'd never think it has been jangling around on my keychain for 3 years.

nbp

Flashaholic
Enrique definitely builds good stuff designed to stand up to abuse. I went to a dance party last night and as I was in dressy pants, had my Al Aeon and and Arc AAA clipped together with a McG gate clip hanging on a P7 suspension clip on my pocket. I wanted to go low profile but obviously couldn't go sans light, or backup. :grin2:

Anyways, after several hours of bouncing around together, I expected to take them out and find at least SOME little wear on the ano of these guys. Nope. None. :wow:

I know they're not Ti, but I was impressed nonetheless with the HA on the Aeon. He does a nice job with his lights. I just receieved my Ion today as well, and it is really quite lovely. I intend to clip the two Muyshondt lights together for dress carry as they are so small and unobtrusive. A throw/flood combo - Seems to be how I roll nowadays.

So I think the point is: GO ENRIQUE!

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Aeon really is one of those lights where people who look at just output ask "why?"

Its tiny size, bombproof titanium construction, long runtime, perfect tint (at least on my neutral) and idiot proof UI
Make it a great contender for the perfect edc light.
My record for EDCing a light has been 5 years for my Novatac - i think the Aeon will be carried longer than that (unless enrique brings out something better)