Need a flashlight for my grandmother - suggestions?

Raven

Enlightened
I want to purchase a small flash light for my grandmother, and I was hoping she would like the new uk4aa as2 I just bought. Unfortunately, her hand is not strong enough to activate the switch. She has no problem with the older uk4aa though, but that light requires two hands in order to turn the lamp, which activates the beam.

Here are the things I'm looking for.

-uses aa or aa batteries
-smallish size (pro polymer or uk4aa size is max)
-easy to push switch or button
-led prefered, but I'm probably being too picky

Thanks

Raven

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Raven,
Does she only have the use of 1 hand? Most of the push buttons are made so they aren't accidently activated. I don't have the new UK 4AA, so I don't know how hard it is to push. The PT 40 is very easy to turn on by turning the head if you take off the o-ring. TX

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well...Sears makes a Craftsman 4AA with an easy switch and a battery level indicator (red,yellow,green). It has a smooth reflector...but....I have the 2D version and the beam is actually very smooth although the hotspot looks a little artifacted due to the little magnifying glass they put in the center of the lens. Its actually a very useful excellent light for the money IMHO, and it has that Craftsman warranty.

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although not an LED and quite pricey the ASP Triad ($48-$70) has one of the easiest switches around. It is very soft and tactile. If anyone knows of an LED with a switch equally as soft then please do tell.

Cheers.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought a bunch of SL4AA7LED lights for Christmas gifts, and have been using one for about a week. The switch requires very little pressure-less than any switch I've used on any flashlight.
Very happy with the light overall, for getting around in the dark, and indoor, or close range area lighting. It doesn't have much throw, but it's a very handy light.
Didn't plan on it originally, but I will probably get my grandmother one of these, too, since she's up frequently at night, and checks on my grandfather in the next room alot. I just found out last week that she's been using a Mag Solitaire around the house, and wasn't happy with it. What a change it will be
wink.gif

It may be too bright for her use, though...

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
"I just found out last week that she's been using a Mag Solitaire around the house, and wasn't happy with it. What a change it will be"

I'll call that the understatement of the day. :>) TX

Owen, If she does find it to bright, get her a Palight. (get the 5mm LED)

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about the CMG Infinity Ultra??? Easy to turn on and off, bright enough, LED, and comes with neck lanyard and 'pocket' clip (not the so-called Government version). It can use Alkaline or Lithium AA (single).

kev1-1

Enlightened
I showed my Grandma my Arc AAA (she is 79) and she wants me to get her 2!!! She said it would help her see to unlock her garage! I was impressed that she recognised a quality light...unlike alot of people I meet who just don't understand!!! MERRY CHRISTMAS..have a good & peaceful day...others are getting up now so I'm off to dish out the presents!
grin.gif
grin.gif

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Charles Bradshaw:
How about the CMG Infinity Ultra??? Easy to turn on and off, bright enough, LED, and comes with neck lanyard and 'pocket' clip
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">If you are going to get her two ARC AAAs...why not make one of them an Ultra?

My mother is 85 and would need a really easy to turn on light...which the Ultra is. I really like my ARC, but it can be a bit stiff to turn on.

Raven

Enlightened
Thanks everyone, for the suggestions.

I was hoping to find a light with a switch, but I suppose a "twist on" model will do ok. In that case, I'll probably get the CMG Infinity Ultra, since I plan to order one for myself anyway. I'm also looking at the LED Impact, as the large rubber bezel might be easier to twist on/off than the smaller metal Infinity.

Raven

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I would really consider the SL4AA7LED: it has an easy to use switch, ich very bright with a great area illumination, has a reasonable battery life on standard batteries, is not too heavy and not too huge to handle, even for a grandma. IMHO it is the ideal EDC for most people with standard lighting-needs such as grandmothers.
ok, it is not very representative, stylish or cool looking, but that should not matter here and I am quite sure that "normal" grandmothers will not bother about that at all as long as a flashlight does what it is supposed to do: produce light.
leave the cool and small stuff for us.
bernhard

Al

Enlightened
How about one of the Eternalight models from Techass?
http://www.techass.com/el/el1.php

Easy tactile switching. Some of the built-in options may be a bit complicated, but who's ever too old to have a little fun?

Load one up with lithium AA's (lighter weight, longer run time and they float!)

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Stainless,

gave MY grandma one of those this X-mas, because she even managed to destroy a MimiMag after only a few weeks of usage! guess this will resist longer. I think, just as you do, that this is the best choice, ...

BUT: the switch is NOT that easy to use, and might be too tough for lady-like grandma's. that is why I humbly suggested the SL4AA7LED (hope that no grandma should ever be forced to pronounce this name ...)

Al: Eternalights should be waay too complicated for most older people, just think of the dramatic situations with new TV remote-controls ...
grin.gif
grin.gif

smile.gif

bernhard

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kiessling:
Thanks for posting your personal experience. Amazing how similar switches would vary from model to model. I dream of the day when the "old fashioned" slide switches will again become common - but updated with magnetic technology such as is found on the Shakelight. But I am NOT holding my breath.
Stainless

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about a Streamlight Stinger HP? It isn't AA and it might be a bit big, but it looks pretty manageable and it looks like the button would be pretty easy to use.

sting_hp_2.jpg

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about a Brinkmann Legend 2AA with a dat2zip BadBoy drop in module?

I think that would be a good combo!

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
Raven:
Consider a Lightwave 2100.
390823.jpg

AA batts, long runtime, water and shock resistant, not too big or heavy. I have the D cell model and the switch is fairly easy. MSRP $34.95 - probally less if you shop around. See the manufactures home page here: www.longlight.com/

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Stainless !

the old slide switches!
now that is a good idea. why did they disappear anyway?
bernhard

(never meant you should hold your breath though, sorry if you got that wrong ...)

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
kiessling:
I suspect that they were "outmoded" by the new and improved two handed rotary bezel switches - and not enough of us have found the URL to the industry wide complaint department. Maybe I should ask shakelight if they ever plan to make a compact version of their unit? Oh I can just see how to power it....

Stainless