Mag XL200 and AAA batteries

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been reading some reviews and forums posts, and there seems to be quite a bit of negativity, or even hate to using 3 AAA batteries in the XL200 and other flashlights in general. I was wondering why this is?

What's actually wrong with using 3 AAA's and what would be a better solution?

Sir Lightalot

Enlightened
AAA's, inherently being small, are not suited for high drain applications and furthermore, a single AA offers the same capacity as 3 AAA's which are typically directly driven to the leds without any other circuitry as they output a similar voltage. Generally just abysmal performance all around from these setups.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
AAA's, inherently being small, are not suited for high drain applications and furthermore, a single AA offers the same capacity as 3 AAA's which are typically directly driven to the leds without any other circuitry as they output a similar voltage. Generally just abysmal performance all around from these setups.
So if I understand you correctly, you're saying a single AA would offer the same power and same run times as a 3 x AAA setup? :eek:oo:

speedywheelz123

Newly Enlightened
With high capacity NI-MH AAA the capacity is good enough.
Xl-200 172 Lumens- 2.5 hr AAA
Fenix PD10 180 Lumens-3.75 hour CR123A
Based off the fact AAA are way cheaper, The XL200 is just as good if not better.

Sir Lightalot

Enlightened
So if I understand you correctly, you're saying a single AA would offer the same power and same run times as a 3 x AAA setup? :eek:oo:
Prettymuch. 3xAAA LSD cells (@1.5 volt for comparisons sake) are about 2400 Mah. A AA Eneloop is about 2000 Mah so a bit less but factoring in voltage sag from the small cells likely compensates.

Based off the fact AAA are way cheaper, The XL200 is just as good if not better.

1. The fenix is quite a bit smaller.
2. the XL-200 drops to 50% output after 12 minutes to extend runtime. If kept at max, it only lasts a bit over an hour. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?316599-Maglite-XL200

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks.

I'd probably run it on Lithium primaries (AAA), I use these in another flashlight and while very different to the XL200 last flippin ages and stays bright to the end.