headlamp choice?

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Hi.

I am still a virgin when it comes to headlamps, and I'd like to change that, I am old enough for that now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Here's what I am looking for:
- a small and lightweight device
- LED
- regulated, if possible
- max brightness is not an issue, I'd like to use it as a walking light only with a real flashlight as a powerful backup

So far I have found those:
- Petz Tikka / Tikka Plus
- PT Scout
- PT Aurora

Any comments / other thoughts?
IMHO the Schout looks promising ... but CR2032 ... $$$$ ...

thanx for your help!

bernhard

Edit: I have to admit though, that the Black Diamond Super Nova is quite appealing, too ...

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I have the Tikkas and Auroras...The Tikkas were first, I love the size & runtime. The Auroras were next purchased, I appreciate the different brightness levels and runtimes associated with those, as well as being able to "aim" the light via the hinge.

Everyone should have "at least one" for emergency applications, as well as utilitarian uses!!

If I had to pick one at the moment, I'd go with the Aurora! The Tikka and Aurora runs off of easy to find AAAs vs the Scout which runs off of coin cells...in a pinch, it may be hard to find the coin cells...

jdriller

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aurora works for me. 3 brightness setting and 2 flash settings. AAA cells, light, comfortable and aimable.

pinepig2

Newly Enlightened
Bernhard:

There aren't too many threads on this forum where I feel I'd have something useful to contribute, but I happen to have a lot of experience with headlamps. So...

I currently have a Black Diamond Moonlight, and two BD Gemini's. The Moonlight (4 Nichia LED's) sounds like just the ticket for you, although it's not regulated (at least my older one isn't). I use it to walk/jog at night more than anything. Not very bright, but run time is 70 hours on 3 AAA's. It's super comfortable, lightweight and well balanced, very well constructed, with good adjustability. I think the new model has multiple brightness levels, haven't tried it. My Gemini's (incan./led) are primarily for SAR/EMS incidents. The Supernova looks like total overkill for your stated need, it has a huge battery pack (4 AA's and one 6V).

In the past I owned several Petzl's, including the Tikka (got rid of it quick, it was cheaply constructed). Sold my Duo, and broke or gave away a few Zooms. I also had a PT Aurora for a while, a sturdy light but poorly balanced (bezel and two AA batteries in front) and had a difficult-to-access battery compartment. Coworkers, also former Petzl users, who have tried BD headlamps also became quick converts.

I haven't seen a PT Scout, so I can't comment there. Personally, I will no longer be shopping around for new/better headlamps. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Edit: Just saw in my BD catalog that the Moonlight is called the Orbitron in Germany. Also just saw Charles' post, I guess brightness perceptions are quite relative!

Edit 2: Realized my PT was a Solo, not an Aurora. Oops!

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a Moonlight that I modded to AA by ripping the battery compartment off a Gemini. But that's just because I prefer to run all my stuff off AA. If you want to stick with AAAs, the stock Moonlight and Aurora should both work well. Aurora is more compact, but shines light in your eyes a bit.

Also, I wouldn't dismiss the flashing features as fluff. It wards off cars when you're walking on a dark road. I've literally seen them snap to attention, and veer away. Could be a real lifesaver one day.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go up one forum to the "General Flashlight and Headlamp forum. There is a current discussion of headlamps including LED versions.

GregR

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Streamlight Septor is nice, 7 LEDs on 3 AAAs. Modes of 1, 3, or 7 LEDs. Under $30 USD.

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have a look at the Petzl website. www.petzl.com will get you there. Quite a few beauts of LED headlamps and combo headlamps. Some are regulated, some have multiple brightness settings. I have my eye on the MYO 5, but it isn't in the budget for now. Regulated, 3 brightness, plus 1 halogen for long range, so you can even leave the big flashlight at home and rely solely on your headlamp.

OTOH, the PT Matrix II looks really interesting. Small, light, dive-rated and uses a 1W LS. Wonder if it's out yet. Wonder how they are getting rid of the heat or are they under-driving it they way they did with the first Matrix.

Bernhard

Newly Enlightened
How about Photon Fusion? 6 white led, 1 3mm red led for night vision, microprocessor control, dimmable. You can read the review on Craig site (LEDmuseum). Vicomptel has it for quite cheap, although still more expensive than Streamlight.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
I also had a PT Aurora for a while, a sturdy light but poorly balanced (bezel and two AA batteries in front)

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, it has 3 AAA's not 2 AA's.

I like the Aurora myself.

Take a close look at the Tikka+ - 4 LEDs like the Moonlight, 3 levels of brightness, and much more compact than the Moonlight.

For a larger headlamp, the Myo5 has 5 LEDs that are regulated, selectable brightness, plus the Incand. option is there if you need it.

Jerimoth

Newly Enlightened
I am a park ranger responsible for SAR in NH under command of NH Fish and Game. I use a LOT of lights. I use a few NiteRider spot lights for search, but use the Myo 5, though not happy with the brightness of the halogen and the confusing nature of the brightness settings. I agree with what's been said above about the BD moonlight, and the new Tikka+ got me out of a jam last night on an all night search that used up batteries in another light.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
wow! a lot of repsonses so quick!
thanx guys!
seems that I'll have to take a look at the Photon Fusion and the BD Orbitron ...
the Scout looks interesting nevertheless for the form factor and nevertheless cool runtime with two brightness settings.

btw ... anyone knows of the Panasonic 2W headlamp McGizmo pointed out a few weeks ago?

bernhard

PocketLights.com

Newly Enlightened
Black Diamond Ion

Another small, LED headlamp is the Black Diamond Ion. It uses one 6 volt battery and looks like the head of an alien.

bd_ion3.jpg

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Black Diamond Ion

I do like the Ion, a friend of mine has one and the 2 LEDs seem to be brighter than my Pelican Headsup 3AAA (3Leds)!!! Really small and handy, altho the only gripe I have about it is the coin cell battery that it uses... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Edit: BTW Pocketlights, your e-headlamps URL has an extra 's' at the end of 'headlamps', so you might want to change that...

Saaby

Flashaholic
Re: Black Diamond Ion

Don't know how I missed this thread.

The Ion is a nice light, very very small, but not really practical because it uses that one 6 volt battery.

I have a Moonlight and *LOVE* it. I couldn't find a whole lot of info on it when I was looking, but I'm glad I purchased it and am seeing it mentioned a lot on CPF lately. Mine is this years model that uses PWM dimming. I don't believe it's regulated but battery life is rediculously long and it's worth giving up regulation for PWM. At least I'm 99% sure it's not regulated, maybe I need to send it off to Roy to check.

DougNel

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Bernhard said:
How about Photon Fusion? 6 white led, 1 3mm red led for night vision, microprocessor control, dimmable. You can read the review on Craig site (LEDmuseum). Vicomptel has it for quite cheap, although still more expensive than Streamlight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also available on Ebay (where I got mine) for about $3 less (including shipping): http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2352882046&category=20760

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
I like the Aurora nice to be able to change the brightness level to what you need, as long as you don't need real bright. It does give some spill into my eyes and can pose a problem if glasses are extra dirty or fogged.
PT does have a new Yukon comming out with a Luxeon/3 led combo.
But I believe you said brightness (do you want to be banned for such talk /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) wasn't important so the Aurora would be my recomendation.

Latest posts