First Post, New Member Questions...

vegasmarine

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone, I have a couple questions about what you guys recommend for a good 4sevens match for the Fenix Headbands as well as the Quark "X" AA2 Tactical vs. the Quark AA2 Tactical. These are my thoughts so far: I was on the 4sevens site last night looking at the Quark "X" AA2 Tactical and the Quark AA2 Tactical. In your opinion, is the increase in brightness on the "X" model worth the step down in run times? I ask because in some cases, we find that unless there is a large increase in lumen output, that it can be difficult to see differences, and if that is the case, why not opt for longer burn time.... Secondly, on a more compact level, the Mini 123 seems to be getting a lot of press. However I see the Mini "X" as well, but the lumen output is so similar to the Mini 123; it seems like the tradeoff in run times is not worth the cost difference. However, I also saw the "No clip" Quark 123 R5 edition, and correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that is not only brighter than the mini 123, but more versatile as far as modes, and has longer run times (except max mode) as well? (I was going to buy a couple of regular Quark AA's for the headbands but the output seems low for outdoors at night unless I use AW 14500 cells, but that seems like a hassle to constantly worry about overcharging them and worrying constantly about discharging them too far below a certain voltage).... Thank you in advance, Marine

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:
The big difference between the 'X' and regular versions is the size of the hotspot. You get a few more lumens but because it is spread over a bigger area the hotspot is not necessary brighter.
'X' on the left.
Quark-X-hotspot.jpg

-----

BTW you commented elsewhere that a MiNi AA might make a good dog walking light.
A dog walking light gets used daily for 1/2 hour or more. The MiNi is too small to hold comfortably for extended periods. A MiNi AA2 is probably the better choice. That is also why the next post recommended a Fenix E21 2AA.

Last edited:

vegasmarine

Newly Enlightened
Thank you! I am leaning towards the Quark AA2 Tactical instead of the "X" at this point.<P>

More confusing is the Quark 123 / Mini 123 / Mini X issue. I have basically ruled out the Mini X at this point because of the minimal increase in output and significant decrease in run-times, so it leaves me in the Mini vs. Quark 123 camp...<p>

Again I am leaning towards the Quark 123 R5 for the Fenix headbands because it is not that much bigger, and it has more versatility and longer run-times except max mode.<p>

Any other thoughts?<p>

Marine

vegasmarine

Newly Enlightened
Thank you.

I have stuck with AA so far except my Surefire E2DL and the 4 Sevens I am debating about here....

I don't know if any of the real small 4sevens AA lights will fit properly in the Fenix headband... That's the only real reason I'm looking at 123's for those lights.

Around my house, I use AA 4Sevens or Fenix exclusively.

Marine

Latest posts