Crelant 7G5 Vs Olight M3X

ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS

Enlightened
Well I got my Crelant 7G5 in the mail today. I got to compare it to my best thrower, the Olight M3X. Rather than take up a bunch of bandwidth here, I'll just post a link here so that the guys that are interested can go and read it and see it for themself which one wins in the throw department. Now this was according to the 2 lights I have.

Last edited by a moderator:

my#1hobby

Enlightened
Well good thing I didn't get the 7G5 then, that M3X is just wicked. I originally wanted the SWM T40CS but now it looks like it's the M3X. Thanks for the beamshots!

Chidwack

Enlightened
Thanks for the review ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS. You have saved me lots of trouble and money. I also had been looking for the best reasonable throw light. By reasonable I meant that it uses no more than two 18650 batteries, it's light enough to carry and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. No matter how good your light throws, it's always in the back of your mind that there may be something out there that is better that I could have bought.

I lucked out and found the M3X before I had to search out many others. I did buy a Jetbeam BC40 and found it didn't satisfy my thirst for throw. I ordered a Fenix TK41 and Olight M3X at the same time. The TK41 is no slouch at throw but doesn't match the M3X. I'm no longer obsessed in looking for a good throw light as both these lights quench the thirst for throw. It's just that the M3X does it a little better. Your review just confirms that I don't need a T40CS or 7G5.

BTW. My M3X has a great beam with very little in the way of imperfections. It would kinda be nice if it had an extra mode that was lower but heck, it's a throw light and I have lights that work better for close range at a very low mode. One of the things I like most in the Fenix TK41 is that it has 4 light modes and one is only 10 lumens and batteries last 240 hours in that mode. I must say that I'm shocked has the TK41 throws on the lowest/10 lumen mode. I also like that it does all this with AA NiMh batteries. Isn't this fun?

ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS

Enlightened
Well I will say this that technically speaking the 7G5 should out throw the M3X since it has a deeper reflector and the emitter is driven a little harder. But it don't. Now why that is I can't say. I started looking at the reflector finish. And personally the 7G5 looks to have the smoother reflector. But maybe looks are deceiving. It just may be the reflector is the difference in the throw and why the M3X wins. But I can assure you to the my eyes and both my daughter and her friend that held both of these lights up when I took some of the pictures of them side by side that the M3X has quite a bit brighter beam. Like I said the camera pretty well tells the difference between the two and you can definately tell the differnce in person.

Jay611j

Enlightened
Thanks for the review ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS. You have saved me lots of trouble and money. I also had been looking for the best reasonable throw light. By reasonable I meant that it uses no more than two 18650 batteries, it's light enough to carry and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. No matter how good your light throws, it's always in the back of your mind that there may be something out there that is better that I could have bought.

I lucked out and found the M3X before I had to search out many others. I did buy a Jetbeam BC40 and found it didn't satisfy my thirst for throw. I ordered a Fenix TK41 and Olight M3X at the same time. The TK41 is no slouch at throw but doesn't match the M3X. I'm no longer obsessed in looking for a good throw light as both these lights quench the thirst for throw. It's just that the M3X does it a little better. Your review just confirms that I don't need a T40CS or 7G5.

BTW. My M3X has a great beam with very little in the way of imperfections. It would kinda be nice if it had an extra mode that was lower but heck, it's a throw light and I have lights that work better for close range at a very low mode. One of the things I like most in the Fenix TK41 is that it has 4 light modes and one is only 10 lumens and batteries last 240 hours in that mode. I must say that I'm shocked has the TK41 throws on the lowest/10 lumen mode. I also like that it does all this with AA NiMh batteries. Isn't this fun?
I also had the TK41 on my list, do you see a large difference in throw against the M3X?

ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS

Enlightened
And the TK41 is one bad thrower. A lot of people don't realize how well it does throw. It's actually one of the better XM-L throwers. I have seen the videos from Marshall at goinggear.com on youtube. And I was truly amazed. I'm just stuck on using 18650's since I don't have to worry about buying alkalines or NIMH and the lithium ion has no memory when charging.

Jay611j

Enlightened
And the TK41 is one bad thrower. A lot of people don't realize how well it does throw. It's actually one of the better XM-L throwers. I have seen the videos from Marshall at goinggear.com on youtube. And I was truly amazed. I'm just stuck on using 18650's since I don't have to worry about buying alkalines or NIMH and the lithium ion has no memory when charging.
Yup, his TK41 video is what had me second guessing buying the M3X. I had both videos side by side and I couldn't really distinguish a difference between the two.

ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS

Enlightened
The M3X has a 63mm diameter head and the TK41 has a 62.5mm diameter head. The M3X will probably have slight edge over the TK41 from what I have seen from Marshall's videos. But I don't have a TK41 to compare against my M3X to say for sure. But your right it is very close between the two. The TK41 does have a very good narrow beam I do know that. Maybe I'll buy one one day.

Well after reading other posts here and there it seemed the crelant had more lux than the m3x. I received the crelant today. I have compared it with my m3x and the m3x has a brighter hotspot for sure. No doubt about it. Both are powered by 3 x surefire cr123's. The crelant is a nice flashlight but I have wasted my money........

Enlightened
Well after reading other posts here and there it seemed the crelant had more lux than the m3x. I received the crelant today. I have compared it with my m3x and the m3x has a brighter hotspot for sure. No doubt about it. Both are powered by 3 x surefire cr123's. The crelant is a nice flashlight but I have wasted my money........

Nice, my copy should be arriving on Wednesday if nothing goes wrong, but i need to re-schedule it for Saturday morning re-delivery. That's EMS for ya. I'll put it through the meter and verify the figures.

Chidwack

Enlightened
Yup, his TK41 video is what had me second guessing buying the M3X. I had both videos side by side and I couldn't really distinguish a difference between the two.

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you on this one. I didn't see your post until today.

This is my comparison and thoughts of the TK41 and the M3X.

M3X is lighter weight and easier to carry. It also comes with a holster.

The M3X throws a little better than the TK41 but not by much. In real world usefulness, there is not enough difference in the throw to make any difference. Both throw farther than I'm likely to ever use or need in the real world. The WOW factor with both lights is very high.

The TK41 was $10 less expensive but again, you get a holster with the M3X. Your mileage may vary depending on where you buy it.

I like the forward mounted buttons on the TK41 better. You can change modes with one hand. UI is great. On the M3X the UI is very simple because it only has 2 modes but it takes 2 hands to change modes. The low mode on the M3X is nothing special and I have other lights I would end up using instead of using the M3X on low mode. The high mode on the M3X is what sets this light apart and the reason for owning it in the first place. Throw Baby, Throw!

The hot spot on the M3X is very clean. It's not quite as clean on the TK41. M3X hot spot is also a little smaller.

Both lights tail stand but it's easier on the TK41.

TK41 has a little more spill and it is a little brighter in the room when using ceiling bounce.

I can burn the M3X longer on one battery charge on the highest mode than I can on the TK41. Your mileage may vary depending on which batteries you are using. I have not been able to get the battery run time in the TK41 that is listed on their spec page. The longest burn time I have been able to get out of 8 AA NiMh batteries was about 1 hour and 50 minutes using Powerex 2700 batteries. I get about 10 minutes less using eneloop 2000 batteries. I can get about 2 hours and 15 minutes out of the M3X on high using two 18650 AW, Callie Kustoms or Redilast 2900 or 3100 batteries.
However, on the TK41 battery run time is so good on the other 3 modes, it makes up the difference. I find all four lighting modes very useful on the TK41. I am shocked at how far the TK41 throws on it's 10 lumen low mode.

If you're using your light only for throw, the M3X is the one for you but not by very much. I find the TK41 to be much more versatile and usable because of the extra modes. The fact that it uses AA NiMh batteries is frosting on the cake. Even though I have lights I use more, still the TK41 is my favorite flashlight.

BTW: The TK41 has one of the best finishes of any of my lights. The threads are as good or better than any of my lights.
Just two small complaints I have for the TK41. I just wish it had a holster as it's too big to put easily in a pocket.
The battery pack rattles a little inside the body of the light. It's a simple fix. I just wrapped a 3x5 index card around the battery pack and it's Problem Solved.

Last edited:

Enlightened
Just got my M3X from dinodirect. Posted this over at BLF too.

Ok chidwack and ILF, raw figures are taken at the same distance of 8.2m.

Olight M3X - 703 lux on the meter
Crelant 7G5 - 734 lux for my copy

Cells are fully charged. I just measured and it's 1.29A for XTAR 2600 fully charged (actually 4.22V..hehe). I also used short probes on my UT-58E, so as not to artificually boost the readings.
That is very good performance for a T6. I changed the Crelant 7G5 out to a T6 (coz i blew my U2, remember) and it's 660 lux now.

STL-V6 - 630 lux
SWM T40CS - 680 lux
On The Road X5 - 455 lux
Balder BD-4 - umm...it has got OP.
My copy of M3X has absolutely no visible PWM on low mode. (haven't measured on the DMM though)

On the ceiling bounce, i get 75 lux for my copy of M3X. T40CS is 79 lux while 7G5 is 80 lux. This tests pure output (additional info to the tailcap current readings). So the reflector design of the M3X seems to be pretty good.

The tint of the T40CS and 7G5 are like very similar, the M3X is just a wee bit cooler...but still not the bluish type (1A?). So not sure what is happening...

Jay611j

Enlightened
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you on this one. I didn't see your post until today.

This is my comparison and thoughts of the TK41 and the M3X.

M3X is lighter weight and easier to carry. It also comes with a holster.

The M3X throws a little better than the TK41 but not by much. In real world usefulness, there is not enough difference in the throw to make any difference. Both throw farther than I'm likely to ever use or need in the real world. The WOW factor with both lights is very high.

The TK41 was $10 less expensive but again, you get a holster with the M3X. Your mileage may vary depending on where you buy it.

I like the forward mounted buttons on the TK41 better. You can change modes with one hand. UI is great. On the M3X the UI is very simple because it only has 2 modes but it takes 2 hands to change modes. The low mode on the M3X is nothing special and I have other lights I would end up using instead of using the M3X on low mode. The high mode on the M3X is what sets this light apart and the reason for owning it in the first place. Throw Baby, Throw!

The hot spot on the M3X is very clean. It's not quite as clean on the TK41. M3X hot spot is also a little smaller.

Both lights tail stand but it's easier on the TK41.

TK41 has a little more spill and it is a little brighter in the room when using ceiling bounce.

I can burn the M3X longer on one battery charge on the highest mode than I can on the TK41. Your mileage may vary depending on which batteries you are using. I have not been able to get the battery run time in the TK41 that is listed on their spec page. The longest burn time I have been able to get out of 8 AA NiMh batteries was about 1 hour and 50 minutes using Powerex 2700 batteries. I get about 10 minutes less using eneloop 2000 batteries. I can get about 2 hours and 15 minutes out of the M3X on high using two 18650 AW, Callie Kustoms or Redilast 2900 or 3100 batteries.
However, on the TK41 battery run time is so good on the other 3 modes, it makes up the difference. I find all four lighting modes very useful on the TK41. I am shocked at how far the TK41 throws on it's 10 lumen low mode.

If you're using your light only for throw, the M3X is the one for you but not by very much. I find the TK41 to be much more versatile and usable because of the extra modes. The fact that it uses AA NiMh batteries is frosting on the cake. Even though I have lights I use more, still the TK41 is my favorite flashlight.

BTW: The TK41 has one of the best finishes of any of my lights. The threads are as good or better than any of my lights.
Just two small complaints I have for the TK41. I just wish it had a holster as it's too big to put easily in a pocket.
The battery pack rattles a little inside the body of the light. It's a simple fix. I just wrapped a 3x5 index card around the battery pack and it's Problem Solved.

Thanks for responding Chidwack, for some reason I am not getting the notifications for this thread. Anyways, I am going with the TK41 mainly because I have a large amount of Eneloops, and if the throw isn't a huge amount short of the M3X I will be happy.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bump! So does this mean that since the 7G5 is no longer in production, the best thrower in the 2x18650 format is the Olight M3X?

ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS

Enlightened
There was a guy on ebay selling a nice used M3X and I guess he got the info from Olight or somewhere that would know but they had the M3X listed as 56,500 candlepower.

RBH

Newly Enlightened
ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS

Do you still like the M3X ?

Bruce

;3934918 said:
There was a guy on ebay selling a nice used M3X and I guess he got the info from Olight or somewhere that would know but they had the M3X listed as 56,500 candlepower.