Problem with quark aa tact quick question.

dongdong

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone,

I just recently purchased a quark aa tact from 4 sevens and I have a quick question.

I've programed one of my modes to moonlight and when I turn on the light it flashes from a higher lumen then to the moonlight mode. This only happens when I leave the flashlight off for a couple of seconds and turn it on.

I was wondering if this is normal?

I'm running an aa. Battery at the moment.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is called "pre-flash," and has been quite the subject on CPF regarding these lights. Some folks can't stand it, and others are not that bothered by it. But it is normal in all the quarks EXCEPT the new quarks with the XM-L LEDs. 4sevens has practically cured this problem in the new line of lights. There is still the ever-so-slight & very small flash, but to me it is now a non-issue & barely noticeable.

You must have a quark with an R5 LED or older in your model. If you "hate" the pre-flash then return it, and get the newer quarks with the newer XM-L LED like the quark X moldels.

I'm a big fan of quarks and own 10 of em. My favorite now is the Quark X AA2 in neutral tint. I have taken the head off and use it on my edc light which is a Quark AA. I run it on a 14500 Li-ion rechargeable for the extra output, but the Quark AA with the XM-L head runs just fine with an eneloop rechargeable, and will run ok on an alkaline in a pinch. I did a small runtime test using a single eneloop in it and got 58 minutes on high (not turbo) and 10:35 on medium....I haven't test any other settings yet. Also, the light seems to be well regulated throughout the output then steps down to a lower level when the battery is almost drained.

Hope that helps.

kreisler

Banned
will run ok on an alkaline in a pinch. I did a small runtime test using a single eneloop in it and got 58 minutes on high (not turbo) and 10:35 on medium....I haven't test any other settings yet. Also, the light seems to be well regulated throughout the output then steps down to a lower level when the battery is almost drained.
pinch? what does that mean here? :)

XML low voltage head: using a single 14500, on high (not turbo) i get 2.0hrs and ...hrs on medium. On turbo, i get 55-58mins. so i am thinking that 14500 is the better cell choice in QXAA-T.

Last edited:

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
pinch? what does that mean here? :)

XML low voltage head: using a single 14500, on high (not turbo) i get 2.0hrs and ...hrs on medium. On turbo, i get 55-58mins. so i am thinking that 14500 is the better cell choice in QXAA-T.

pre-flash. i have it quite everywhere (e.g. when changing modes, etc.) and is not restricted to a single specific case/setup. i dont mind though. pre-flash is a component inherent to new and old Quarks .. and i dont believe that 4Sevens ever eliminated this phenomenon.

mine is a QXAA2-T, and i have the pre-flash. Quite everywhere.

Thanks for doing those runtimes with the 14500....those look good.

I have 3 of the new Quark X lights (Quark 123x2 Turbo X, Quark X AA2 neutral and a Quark X AA2 tactical neutral), and the pre-flash is almost not noticeable. I have to look at the LED to see if it flashes at all. It does flash, but at maybe around 1 lumen or so. This is a huge improvement over my S2, R5, & R2 quarks which all flash at the max output. On my older quarks I get hit with 200 lumens for an instant before whatever output I selected....not good. The new "X" lights have cured the problem in my mind. If your new Quark X AA2 has preflash of more than 1 lumen or so then I'd send it back.

dongdong

Newly Enlightened
OK. So the pre flash is normal. How bright does everyone's get? Mine sometimes can go as bright as the high mode.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
The pre flash can be as bright as the high output. I recently have in my possession a high CRI Quark 123^2 and a neutral white Quark X 2AA tactical and they don't exhibit any signs of pre flash. I am real happy with the newer Quarks. I have to say that even the older lights with the pre flash doesn't really bother me at all.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does this happen to the regular quarks too?
According to some, the problem exist on the older Quarks with the regular UI. I am afraid I can't comment on that since the only Quark with regular UI that I have is the newly acquired 123^2 high CRI and I don't see any pre flash.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does this happen to the regular quarks too?

It does happen with the quarks that have the regular UI, but only in the older editions with the older LED's like the R5, S2, & R2. Fortunately the older quarks with the regular UI suffer a little less with pre-flash compared to the older quarks with the tactical UI. Here's what I mean. If you leave the quark (regular UI) in the head loose position then when you turn on the light the pre-flash is very dim (maybe 1 lumen.) However, if you leave the light in the head tight position, use the light on max, then turn it to head loose position, and turn it on you then get hit with a pre-flash at max brightness. The older quarks with the tactical UI hit you with max pre-flash every time. I usually leave my older quarks (with the regular UI) in the head loose position since those outputs are what I use the most, so for me I mostly didn't mind the pre-flash that much.

Again, this problem no longer exists with the new quarks that have the XM-L LED in the them. 4sevens updated the circuitry which fixed this. The pre-flash had nothing to do with the LED's that were in their lights; it was related to the circuitry they were using.