Peak Vesuvius (or other lights) + Magnifying Glass!!!

85coke

Newly Enlightened
My vesuvius puts out a lot of light, but it's extremely floody and only good out to around 30 yards. Borrowed a magnifying glass today and I can make the hot spot almost too bright to look at. I'm in an office area, but I was able to focus it so that the shape of the emitter was projected across the room.

Going to try it later at home where I have more room to see how far it will throw. I'll probably see what it does to my tk70 also :naughty:

Anyone else ever do something similar? What kind of results did you have?

I'm thinking a small pocketable magnifying glass might be a nice addition to my EDC AAA lights.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never tried that. How long does your vesuvius run on high and how hot does it get? I'm guess about 5 min before the battery is dead?

85coke

Newly Enlightened
I haven't tested the run time but it's plenty for me.

With a freshly charged battery it gets hot after a few minutes. I was walking around my house the other night for a few minutes with it on high, and didn't have any issues.

It doesn't have to run on high all the time though. I EDC the light and after 2 weeks of carrying it, the battery is still around 3.7V.

Norm

Retired Administrator
85 Coke here is a forum search for aspheric lens which will give the same result as your magnifying glass and a Google image search of the forum.

Norm

Last edited:

85coke

Newly Enlightened
85 Coke here is a forum search for aspheric lens which will give the same result as your magnifying glass and a Google image search of the forum.

Norm

Thanks. That explains why my search for magnifying glass didn't result in much.

It's raining very hard and not completely dark here yet, but it looks like i should be able to easily get 100 yards from AAA lights.

As expected, it didn't work with multi emitter lights.

Going to test it with my eagletac t20cII when it stops raining.

85coke

Newly Enlightened
doesn't look like there's much interest in this, but i think i got 400+ yards with the vesuvius and a CHEAP scratched magnifying glass :crazy:

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have tested it lots of times. You get more throw out of a old xr-e led.
Also played around holding my lenses for my SLR camera in front of my lights, gives the same effect if you zoom and focus the lense right. Imo the xm-l is a bad led if you want a throwy asperic. Too dim, and it sends the light in a 130 degree angle, so lots of light will be lost in a xm-l asperic tuned for throw.
Once upon a time I wanted to make a flip up "antidiffuser" for my zebra h30. just like the flipup diffuser from fenix, but with a little asperic instead of some diffusion lense.