Olight M20S R5 vs Fenix TK11 R5

chris_8806

Newly Enlightened
I'm going to make this short and to the point. i currently have a Fenix pd32 and I'm generally happy with it. I'm looking to upgrade to a brighter light with more throw and have narrowed down to two choices.

-Fenix TK11 R5

-Olight M20S R5

should i stick with the fenix brand line or venture out to Olight. my main concern is more brightness, farther throw, and general compact size so that it can fit in my pants/shirt pocket easily

any feedback is appreciated. thank you in advance

Stephen Wallace

Enlightened
Both will be vaguely similar in regards to brightness and throw.

Both are broadly similar in terms of format and size. In respect to that, I'd have to say both are perhaps more appropriate to belt carry in a pouch more than pocket carry. If your trouser pockets are large and loose enough, there is a pocket clip, and they wouldn't be too bad. I'd have to say too large and heavy for sensible shirt pocket carry though (I'm assuming breast pocket here). The head is considerably wider than that of the PD32, making the PD32 much more pocketable as a result.

If you're still not concerned about the size, I would say that the biggest difference to base your decision on is the UI. The Fenix has two modes, high and turbo (no low modes here), selected by loosening or tightening the head. For all intents and purposes, you can really think of that as medium and high. The M20 uses a side switch on the tail cap, that is used to change modes in rotation from low, to medium, to high, to strobe, and then back down to low. The side switch can be pressed and held to jump straight to strobe, even if the light is switched off at the time. There is mode memory when the light is switched off.

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might gain some throw due to the larger reflector, but don't expect much gains in perceived brightness. It's not a big lumen jump. I have a PD30 and an M20s and the difference in brightness is barely noticeable.