Emergency Light Options

Masseter

Newly Enlightened
I really like emergency lights that plug into outlets. When the lights (and power) go off its easy to find since most of these lights autoturn-on when no juice is going to them. However my most recent one seemed to burn out from the constant feeding from the outlet.

Anyone know of a good outlet emergency light that will not burn out so quickly?

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Other than those commercial building jobbies (with the pair of auto headlights), I don't know of any. Then again, I never looked into it.

The one you mentioned, does it use rechargable batteries?? If so, it may be the batteries or battery pack needs replacing.

Welcome to CPF, Masseter!

Empath

Flashaholic
I don't really know what you mean by 'burn out'. They should only come on when the power goes off. If the bulb burned out quickly during a power failure, it may have been a weak bulb, or it may need higher voltage bulb.

If it's the battery that wears out from being constantly trickle charged, since nearly all of them use nicads, it may be a good idea to discharge them down to about 1 volt every few months.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
i was eyeing one of these things the other day. Thinking that an LED conversion would eliminate the bulb burnout problems and also significantly extend the battery life.

Anyone taken one apart recently?

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight Lightbox - they have a light made just for lost power back up. It is just like a regular SL Lbox, but has a 8W bulb(8.5hr run time), fluted lens(flood), and the light is brown/sand in color.Oh, and it comes with a wall bracket/charger.

Merry christmas!

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast
str45129_bei.jpg

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Correction: you can have it in any LBox color now, with flood or spot bulb and lens.

Bulb life is 30hr.

rlhess

Enlightened
The LiteBox is great, and I believe you can then remove it and use it.

The Black and Decker SafeLighters that I have (about six or seven) lasted about six years on one set of batteries (two small NiCds) and I'm on my second set of NiCds for them. All original bulbs. Neon nightlights are still burning, too.

Energizer makes a traditional, tubular flashlight with prongs to plug in that does the same thing. The B&D are more of a rectangular solid.

I bought mine after the Jan 94 Northridge Earthquake.

I also have two Radio Shack power-fail lanterns...much bigger and bulkier for not much more "beef" inside. Also bought around the same time. One earlier one died and I elected not to replace the NiCds and gave it away. Good riddance!

Merry Merry,

Richard