My L4 saves the day (or night)!

Spango

Newly Enlightened
This morning, at around 3am, I woke up with a terrible itch. To my horror, I realized that I was bitten 4 times by a pesky mosquito - one on each of my arm and leg. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I knew that if I don't do something about it, I will be disturbed by the mosquito throughout the night and possibly receive a few more bites. So, I whipped out my L4 and sent out a great flood of light below my bed. Guess what! I saw the culprit buzzing around, looking for a place to hide, but there simply isn't any place to hide! The whole area has been lit up so well that there isn't any dark spot around. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I quickly grabbed a can of bug spray, killed the bugger and went back to sleep. I know I definitely can't do this with my 3 LED 'Ultra Bright' clip light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif It felt so good after that.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good stuff Spango, maybe SF should consider putting out newer models of the L4 with a option to attach a can of insecticide or pepper spray or anything else as such? That might sell well over in here... I could use one of those as well. The L4 that is... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Somewhere around here, I have a picture of myself using a KL2 in a combat grip, spraying a can of Raid at these little black gnats that can become numerous in August.
If I find it, I'll post it here.

(Edit) Ahhh, there it is. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

raid2.jpg

Kiessling

Flashaholic
do that myself, too. the L4 resolves that matter in a quick and efficient way, initially those monsters are blinded so that you can even destroy them with your hands while still only half awake ...
bernhard

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok very OffTopic on your mosquitoes..

I hate them, they are all around tropical countries.. so why not let your technology work for you.. for free? nearly..

Mosquitoes hate sound at 10-20Khz.

If you have a PDA, you can download some mosquito software that produce this sound while you sleep. Don't worry, most of our ears will not hear it, but some does. I find it drain down the battery quickly so I use my computer.

If you don't have a PDA, use your computer. I haven't found one software that does but there is such thing as tone generator, that can make 10-20Khz sound on your 128bits sound card.

A freeware by Michael Keller
http://www.qsl.net/dl6iak/projects/dbltone.htm
There are two horizontal slider, put the first at 10Khz the later at 20Khz and MAX out the two vertical slider. Hit the start and go to bed.

If you find it not professional enough for your mosquito blasting needs, here's a shareware
http://www.shareware.de/software/DetailEN_Test_Tone_Generator_4603.html

You can make your own wav file out of this. Which is cool because once you have your wav file you can use winamp or some player to repeatedly play your 'invinsible' mosquito killer song over the night.

If you don't have a computer in your bedroom it's ok, you can record the wav in to any audio format and play it at your HiFi. Which is even better because it's even louder.

A word of advice, wav file is big but it retains all the tones, don't convert it to mp3 because the compression just strip all the 'invinsible' tones then it wouldn't be effective anymore.

Finally remember to tune the volume alllll the way up to deafen/blast all the mosquitoes before you sleep /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif. So mosquitoes will not even come near your house.

Here's an equivalent circuit
http://www.flashwebhost.com/circuit/mosquito.php

Oh btw, all above techniques does not kill the mosquito, it repels them. It will also work for mice, insects and other pests but the operating frequency will be different.

I am actually pretty sad that mosquitoes are not afraid of the intensity of our lights, if not I will be flashing them out at night. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Vince.

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
A few months ago I was plagued by 1000s of miniature flies whils on holiday. I only wished that I had an ultraviolet torch to attract them away! They seemed to be most prevalent in early evening just when I was thinking of cooking a meal!

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
vladuz - do you know that people in Thailand actually eat these stuff bbq? Termites, locust, etc etc... wonderful..

Vince.

grnamin

Enlightened
It's even worse when the skeeters bite you then buzz around your ear to torment you. The L4 works great as a radar substitute, more like LIDAR, I would imagine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
koala said:
...Mosquitoes hate sound at 10-20Khz...

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you know if these electronic measures really work, and whether the tiny portable electronic mosquito and bug repellers are effective?

Brightnorm

paulr

Flashaholic
Those electronic bug repellers seem to be ineffectual and the commercial ones are basically a scam. The tiny ones are probably just a waste of money. A more powerful one might actually damage your hearing.

Maybe there could be a version of the L4 that's set up like a Tigerlight, that dispenses bug spray instead of pepper spray ;-). Me, I'd rather swat the buggers than spray them.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, the Coleman 1AA mosquito repellers do work, and give a 6 foot radius shield. One of the few that are known to work.

Keeps the mosquitos away, but, nothing else. The emitted sound is that of a mosquito hawk (voracious eater of mosquitos).